A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
798 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eating a Japanese diet -- need help!  (Read 1407 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006 08:17:12 AM »

Great Advice Poppysmum!  I love eating non-breakfast foods for breakfast.
I do have a question mabe someone on this thread can answer.  Does store bought Miso paste go bad?  It's been in the refridgerator for longer than I care to admit, but seems ok, but there is not expire date on the tub.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allisone

a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006 08:38:53 AM »

I live on the Chester/Montgomery Co border and I end up going into Philly and stocking up on everything except produce.

So, where is this new Asian market? There is a little one in Frazer, and a slightly bigger one in Conshohocken - but if I'm going to Conshy - I might as well go on into the city Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewknitter

have needles will sew, knit, crochet, tat. . swap!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006 11:37:05 AM »

Well today I made myself a meal, not soup! You are right, it was satifying and different!

Does store bought Miso paste go bad?  It's been in the refridgerator for longer than I care to admit, but seems ok, but there is not expire date on the tub.

I bought this itsy bitsy 8oz of "organic" mellow miso and it went visibly bad in a month. But went to Florida in December and bought Shiro Miso - White Soybean Paste (35+ oz) and brought it on the plane, and then home, repackaged it in a tighter container, and I am using the last of it this week. Tastes and feels just as I bought it. It seems to hold up much better.

So, where is this new Asian market?

It is called Assi-Korean. I can't tell you the exact address, but you take RT309 to RT63/welsh rd. It is somewhere near a store called Holly Hill Fresh Foods, 1200 Welsh Rd Ste F2, North Wales, PA 19454-3771 (215) 361-7770, near the JoAnn's. I'm going either this week or next. will tell you how I like it. But I've been told it is a large store.

If you get there before I do, let me know what you think!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.cara4webshoppin g.com
knitting looms, embroidery machines, weaving,  knitting software~all discounted!

Shop My Swap  Shop 31
jillianb
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006 12:04:35 PM »

Oh I had such a lovely response but then my browser crashed!  Sorry if response v. 2 is a little disjointed.

Scrambled tofu:
- firm or extra firm (Chinese-style, not the silken Japanese & if you have low fat tofu available to you, don't use it . . . it makes the scramble taste dry)
- saute veggies until still crisp, then crumble, add seasonings & heat through
- if adding a green (I know you said no cabbage, but if you can eat swiss chard, arugula or other dark leafy green, here would be a good place) toss in a minute before removing from heat so the green just wilts slightly)

Good things to get at an Asian grocery store: shoyu, miso (try the different types because they impart very different flavor), ume plum vinegar or umeboshi plum paste, rice wine vinegar, rice paper wrappers (you can stuff all kinds of veggies in there or even eggs or tofu with veggies for breakfast)

Miso spoilage: this site http://www.foodproductdesign.com/articles/462/462_0600de.html claims miso doesn't spoil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
unlistedtrack28
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006 12:22:27 PM »

http://www.lebanesedoctors.com/Pages/Diets/JapaneseDiet.html

Grin i hope these help!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trillian42
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006 09:33:43 AM »

Oh, sorry!  Didn't check my "replies."

I eat the eggs on top/ mixed into the rice.  It's one of my little boy's favorite breakfasts too Smiley 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Romantic Loner
Romantic Loner Short
Saving and Recovering Your Photos in Photoshop CS6
How to Draw Ken the Eagle from Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
How to Draw Master Croc from Kung Fu Panda 2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...