A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painting cheapo bookshelves?  (Read 860 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fadeawaydream
« on: July 02, 2006 09:57:17 AM »

I've never painted anything before, and as much as I "research," nothing is quite simplified enough for me to understand. So, I come to you interior decorating experts for some help--I have these very cheap white bookshelves (I have no idea what they're made out of, but it's certainly not real wood), and I would like them to be another color.

Can I just paint right over them?
What kind of paint do I use?
Will the paint chip with all my books on there?
Do I need to put something on top of the paint to make it unchippable?

As you can see, I am utterly clueless when it comes to painting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And here's a picture of what they kind of look like--it's not exact, but close enough.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

DTchick
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006 10:01:58 AM »

That's crazy. I don't have any answers for you, but I have two short bookshelves that I got at a yard sale. They have that fake wood looking stuff on them, and I want to paint them white to match my other bookshelf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't cause commotions; I am one.

I didn't recognize you without the handcuffs.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006 10:42:11 AM »

Are they that shiney melamine stuff?  If so, you have to sand or prime them first or paint will not stick or....

Home Depot has this great primer I used called THE GRIPPER...it sticks to anything then you paint over it.  No sanding or anything needed!! It is a bit expensive but saves lots of time!! I used it over shellac doors and it worked like a charm!!  They also have stuff called "NO SAND" but it stinks and is more expensive and I did not think it worked as well.

One tip:  don't be impatient--you really need to wait until all coats are thoroughly dried before putting your stuff in it!!  I used the stuff to paint all my bookcases and shelves in my crafts room.

Forgot to say that you can use latex paint after you use that primer stuff.  I did not use any type of sealer over the latex--I mean, if it works for doors and woodwork, it should be fine for a bookshelf...Just wait till it dries totally!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006 10:45:03 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006 11:00:13 AM »

If they are melamine, talk to the paint people at a paint store or a place like Home Depot and they'll get you the correct products.  You'll definitely need to use primer.

Back in the 70's, my mom used to just recover the shelves with contact paper and they always looked great. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fadeawaydream
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006 07:46:19 PM »

Thanks for the tips! I definitely would not have used primer first, so I'm glad I asked. Contact paper is also an interesting solution--though I don't know much about that either. Where can I get it in large amounts and does it come in pretty colors? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jjm
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006 09:08:30 PM »

If they are the melamine kind....even with primer, I would take some sandpaper and scratch it up before applying the primer.  As others have said, let it dry thoroughly.  Apply your regular paint using a small foam roller (2 coats...allowing drying time in between...check paint can for drying times).  The foam roller will give you a much smoother finish.  Once done painting, give the paint "curing" time, 24-48 hours before use and everything should be fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006 10:47:24 AM »

Contact paper comes in many many colors and patterns.  Check out this web source for some possibilities:  http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-contact-papers.aspx

You can find it at almost any big box store that sells shelf paper and it is usually in the same department with the shelf paper.  You can even cut it up into shapes and use those decoratively.  Usually even after longtime use, it peels right off and doesn't leave a  residue.  (I can't guarantee that this will work in all applications though.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chimera
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006 10:59:58 AM »

You will need to prime the bookcase first and then paint it. I would not use latex paint -you'll find that it gets gummy and will stick to your books. Your best bet is to use Melamine paint -it is a special paint that has a varnish in it and it dries to a really nice finish. It is the same type of paint people use to paint kitchen cupboards. The finish will come out the same as the finish already on your bookcase. The people at Home depot or any hardware store will advise you to use Melamine paint, not latex. Even an oil based paint is better than latex. Latex is not a good choice for painting furniture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stockholm syndrome
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006 12:41:22 PM »

I just did something pretty similar to this, mine were CD/DVD holder shelves but same material/similar items. I sanded every piece down with 160 then 220 grit sandpaper, primed, and then painted as normal. I painted parts of it (sides, top) with latex paint but used oil-based enamel on the shelves. Even with all that I'm letting it dry/cure for about a month before putting all my CDs back in (I'm sure this is not neccesary, I'm just a little...overzealou Roll Eyes ) I wouldn't use latex paint the shelves, I've seen it stick to the books  even after ample drying time while other times it's been fine for people.  Undecided

Anyway, it was time consuming but not hard, I plan to do a set of bookshelves to match soon.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006 12:43:20 PM by stockholm syndrome » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Preparing a Work Space
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics
How to Finish Graffiti Art
How to Add Detail to Graffiti Art
How to Add Fill to Graffiti Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...