A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone in Italy?? Even Europe will probably help.  (Read 12230 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lucertola
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004 06:44:42 AM »

Ciao, mi chiamo Francesca,
anche io sono di Roma Sud (Palocco & dintorni).
Ho appena cominciato a cucire e a realizzare piccoli gioielli.
Allora non sono l'unica a pensare che non ci siano negozi in citt. O meglio, quelli che ci sono, sono piccoli e carissimi. Qualcuna di voi conosce ingrossi dove acquistare stoffe e perline di vetro?
Piacere di avervi incontrate,
f.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shiva

My baby just cares for me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004 07:25:45 AM »

will repply in english, then italian, cos it wouldn't be fair to cut out anyone else who might find the following info interesting
if you're in the south of rome, you may want to go to the open market in via di mezzo camino in mostacciano, every saturday. there are various stands selling material, but i advise you to go for the one run by these two brothers, they have really nice designer material at cheap price (valentino, versace, D&G etc).
sequins and such, i have no idea. i generally stack up on these kind of things when i go over to dublin to see my family.

- francesca (non voglio essere arrogante, ma non so se hai problemi o meno con l'inglese. per cui a scanso di equivoci ti rispondo pure in italiano!!! Tongue). se ti piace cucire ti consiglio di fare un salto al mercato di mostacciano a via di mezzo camino il sabato. ci sono parecchi banchi che vendono stoffe e scampoli, cerca uno gestito da due fratelli, hanno spesso stoffe di marca (vedi sopra) a prezzi veramente buoni. si tratta di pezzi della stagione passata e quindi costano meno, ma comunque di ottima qualit.
per quanto riguarda perline, non ho idea di dove potresti andrare, una volta c'era un negozio favoloso a corso vittorio emanuele, venendo da piazzale arenula lo trovavi sulla destra a circa met strada, ma ora non c' pi - o almeno credo. quando ero andata in fissa per perle e perline le compravo direttamente a dublino - li si che sono ben forniti!
se scovi qualche piccolo paradiso delle perline o fai da te fammi sapere!!!!!
a presto Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The rarest thing is to live. Most people exist, that is all.
sushimifune

Life is a gift-horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004 10:07:39 AM »

Ok, I will answer in english  Wink
I already suggested some shops to Francesca in my blog -look here http://www.livejournal.com/users/sushimifune/1649.html
But I'll add some address here, too:
Hobby and Color -Piazza Minucciano (corretto) : it's not so far from Montesacro (I live close to Montesacro) and it has e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g and I really mean everything. Except the fabric. But anything else. It's an amazing place and it organize many courses, too. -never attemded, but just to let you know.... If you can't find what you want they will get it for you. They're really well organized, and it is a pleasure because sometimes the bellearti shops are so intimidating and they never help customers... Grin
For fabrics, assuming that you know that the ghetto is full of (expensive) fabric shops, i often go to Diffusione Tessile (close to the raccordo anulare) which has cheaper fabric, sometimes ugli but you have to search well and use your imagination Wink
Then I know two places where they sell fabric that is out of stock or just comes from failed stores. I will look for the address if you're interested.
Beads, swaroski and findings: La pallina, Via Margutta (1) and Via Mecenate I think (it's the road that crosses via merulana close to Brancaccio theatre.
And then just go looking around chinatown (I call Piazza Vittorio this way) Grin
Hope it helped
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004 08:48:38 AM by sushimifune » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cimba
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004 04:47:01 AM »

I live in Rome, also Cheesy (it seems that this forum is full of roman girls!), quartiere San Paolo/Marconi.

Sushimifune, I'd love to know the addresses of those places that sell out of stock fabrics and such!
Usually I use recycled material for my sewing projects, cause new fabric are quite expensive and I'm too wannabe and beginner, so I fear to ruin them with my experiments Smiley  But before the end of summer sales I was in Ikea and bought some beautiful fabrics at half the price, so I was enthusiast about it and started looking around more. I am especially interested in low budget fabric, whatever type, and vintage fabric, but anything concerned with sewing is useful to me (also good mercerie shops).

I can't give you much hints, sorry, cause I started sewing recently and I used old clothes and reached for threads and other things in my mom's cellar (?! cantina), a paradise for me. But I found some interesting clothes (plain skirts are especially useful cause they have less seams and more fabric) in Porta Portese (awsome finds at 1 euro each), no big new, but always useful. I remember that long time ago I also bought some fabric from MAS (Magazzini Allo Statuto), in piazza Vittorio. Quite cheap, but I can't guarantee on the quality and choice.

Shiva, thanks for the hint, I'll try to check the open market in Mostacciano, it seems interesing. (I remember also that beads shop in corso Vittorio, it was a regular stop for me in my highschool years! Smiley)

P.S. Ho scritto in inglese per i motivi di cui sopra, per consigli in italiano c' sempre il mio indirizzo di posta o i messaggi privati.  ciao!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ciao! Cimba // Homemade happy goodies, made in Italy with a smile!
http://www.ciaocimba.com
shiva

My baby just cares for me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004 05:07:09 AM »

Sushi,
thank you so much for the really useful info. Grin
keep in touch, and who knows we might for a reunion of crafters in rome to meet and exchange ideas!
ciao
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The rarest thing is to live. Most people exist, that is all.
fiberfairy
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004 07:08:06 AM »

I am also stationed at NAS Sigonella!  I have been here about 2 years and absolutely love it.  I am a knitter and have a small group that mostly meets in Catania.  You didn't say what sort of crafts you were looking for but we can at least get you to the right part of the market and to the yarn/sewing shops around here.

Our group's blog is www.shriekofnature. com/knit
We try to meet once or twice a month.

Deb
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zibibboisgood
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2004 01:59:22 AM »

*waves to her neighbor fiberfairy*

Hiya  Spitbubbleluv!  I live here in the centro of Catania, hubby is a local who works at SIG. I've been living here "happily ever after" for seven years now. There are fab resources to be found while we are lacking some of the basic crafty stuff thankfully since you'll have an APO ordering/shipping will be a breeze (yes, I have APO envy teehee).

From the center of Catania where you'd park most of the spots that have supplies are in walking distance. The market - yarn, fabrics galore!, used clothes if you're into recycling (not to mention the rest of the usual market fair). Via Manzoni which is a couple blocks over from the market area - more fabrics and yarn and findings and a couple art supplies shops in the general vicinity. Wether you can easily find what you're looking for locally really depends on your persistence, timing and planetary alignment. Many times I've wished to be transported to a Michaels type shop for 30 minutes and unlimited funds Smiley But again, you can always order online what you can't locate here, though looking round here is half the adventure !

Definitely look up the knitting group, if you're into hashing (running not drugs) we have an H3 here too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sabrinabobina
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004 03:18:24 AM »

Yowwza! I didnt realize how many of us were on this site.Thats so great! i just moved to Rome(fiano romano) a few months ago from canada and i dont know what it is about italy, but i have been so crafty since i got here. I am having problems finding some craft supplies(i dont make it into the city that often and finding things in these little towns is sometimes tough).I really had an itch to do some stenciling but unfortunatly couldnt find any printable transfer paper.Then i came across the freezer/wax paper technique on LJ and was so excited."Wax paper,thats great and cheep!"But lo and behold, no wax paper!gggghhhrrrrr! all well...i am over it..At the moment i am working on a mosaic made of egg shells and i have to say..it is looking might fine. I am also working on some knitting projects and emboidery and half way through some marble magnets that should have been completed by now.I have too much going on i now, but with all the markets and stuff here, i keep getting inspired to start new projects. what has everybody been working on lately?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sushimifune

Life is a gift-horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004 11:34:42 PM »

Hi sabrina!! Welcome to Italy!
We live quite close to each other, since I live in Rome, and I know Fiano quite well  Cheesy
If you need any advice about where to find crafty supplies, just ask.
I was quite stencil addicted for a while -and now I have to do some stencilling again, since a shop owner asked me to make some shirts to sell  Grin, and I can tell you how I do my stencils. Sometimes I print them directly on tranparencies (you can easily find them in every computer shop, just look carefully if they are adaptable for your printer). When I get lazy or don't have transparencies and don't want to buy them... I print the stencil on normal paper, then cover it with adhesive transparent plastic. The one that you find in a long roll in every "ferramenta" or "cartoleria". I bought mine (5 metres x 1) for about 4 euros. If you want, you can cover both sides of the paper with plastic, to make it more sturdy. It works really fine and your stencil can be used more and more times.
Hope it helps.
If you need address for shops in Rome, just ask.
And if you look for a good veterinary in Fiano, I know the best  Grin Grin Grin (completely off topic... Grin)
Ciao
Giovanna
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sabrinabobina
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2004 12:09:06 PM »

hi giovanna,thanks so much for the welcome and the stencil advice.I am  totally going to check out the ferramenta, we are always there for one thing or another(and i am a cheepo,so 4 euros sounds pretty good).I will let you know if we need a vet. at the moment we have a great one just outside of town. I have to tell you ,your english is awsome.Where did you learn? i am still working on my italian,(it stinks) but of course i have all the "parolacce" down pat. Grin I would love to see some of your finished T's.Do you have a site,or some pictures?

anyways,thanks again!
sabrina
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Pecan Topped Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Keeneland Chicken Salad in Bread Bowl Recipe
Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles Recipe
Original Cheese Fries Casserole Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...