A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
834 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sock question for sock experts  (Read 1896 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RomBookLover
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

All I hear is blah, blah, blah

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2006 07:21:08 AM »

I've been trying to decide if I want to knit my first-ever pair of socks on dpns or two circs, but I've recently thought of a third option: one 8 inch circ.  I realize that the heel will have to be turned on a dpn, but is there any reason why the rest of the sock cannot be knit on one 8" circ?  Anyone here ever try this?  Think it will work?

Wondering,
Carrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moazogotl
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006 09:30:46 AM »

I'm not really a sock expert, but... Smiley  I think you might need to use dpns again for the toe, since there's some decreasing going on there too.  I've never tried using a single circ, but I had a friend whose grandma used to have half-knit socks on a single circ lying all over the house, so it must work.  I think the only drawback is that you'll have to switch to dpns a couple times.  Maybe you could knit the whole cuff on the circ and then switch to dpns for the foot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MostlyHarmless
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006 11:45:03 AM »

Honestly, I havent knit socks before (its my next project and im trying out DPNs). But I have seen a lot of talk around a technique called Magic loop, using one large circular, instead of a small one like you were saying.

Here is an article about it.

http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006 01:32:12 PM »

I'm not an expert by any means, only knit 2 pair, but I use "magic loop" and love it. I think "magic loop" with one LONG circ would be easier than switching to double points and as an added bonus you only have to buy one needle. As a matter of fact I only buy long circs now and use "magic loop" on everything - I justify the expense of Addi's by only purchasing one circ in each size.

Sally
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Obsessed Knitter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006 04:20:56 PM »

I agree. Magic loop with one long circular will be the easiest. Of course, I am biased because I love magic loop and use it for all my socks. Cheesy

Most people prefer a length of 32" - 47" for magic loop. I find the one that works the best for me is the 40". Not too much cord, as the 47" is, or too less, like the 32". Plus if you ever want to make two socks on one circ simultaneously, a 40" accomodates that very well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RomBookLover
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

All I hear is blah, blah, blah

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006 02:06:44 AM »

Thanks, everyone, for the input.  I have tried the Magic Loop method with really messy results; it's not something that I can seem to wrap my mind (or fingers) around very well.  The Cat Bordhi two circ method, though I can do it, is a P.I.T.A., especially with those fine size 2 needles.  And, as far as dpns are concerned, I hate 'em for about the first 10 rounds of any project.  Seeing as how I've knit mittens on one 8" circ, the idea of using the same circ on socks doesn't seem so odd.  Only problem I can really forsee is that the smallest 8" circ made is only a US 4.  I've already cast on for the cuff of experimental sock #1, so I guess we'll just have to sit back and see what happens once I pull off half of the stitches for the heel!

Thanks, again,
Carrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cotneyroo
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006 12:31:00 PM »

I don't see why it wouldn't work! I can't get my Denise needles to work when I use the shortest cord, but I know that they make lots of really short circs in Japan, so presumably someone is using them with lots of success. Let us know how it goes-- I, too, admire the Cat Bordhi method but find it frustrating in practice, and would love to find a DPN alternative, if it's faster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VaxGirl
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006 01:54:51 PM »

I have knit many socks and I think that while an 8 inch circ would work, it would be really awkward.  My hands get cramped even using a 12 inch circ.

The best method I have found for me, is to use the two circ method, but knit the socks from the toe up rather than from the cuff down as Cat Bordi.  I use a short row toe and heel.  The toe and heel are exactly the same process.  It does not involve using DPNs at all.  With this method you don't have to graft the toe, another process I hate with a burning passion.

Wendy of wendyknits.net has a very good tutorial of this method.  Here's the link: http://wendyjohnson.net/blog/sockpattern.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Taylor Branch on College Students and Sit in Movement
Preparing for Pregnancy in 5 Easy Steps
Middle Men by Jim Gavin
Daniel Wallace Talks About His Novel The Kings and Queens of Roam
The King Years by Taylor Branch
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...