A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,635
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy project for a new knitter?  (Read 733 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ABitofEverything
« on: July 02, 2006 12:26:45 AM »

I am just learning how to knit and have finally mastered the knit and purl stitch.  I can cast on, bind off and that is it.  I am finishing up my first dish cloth.  I am now ready to move on to bigger and better things!  I don't really want to make a scarf as my mom has knit many of them for each member of our family so I'd really prefer to do something different.  Anyone have any ideas for an easy project for a new knitter?  It's okay if it involves increasing, decreasing, patterning, etc.  I'd just like to not tackle everything new at once!  I have a 5 yo dd I sew for so it'd be great if it were something for her.  I don't feel ready to tackle dpns quite yet, but would be willing to try circs.  I eventually hope to make sweaters and socks  but am looking for a stepping stone project in the meanwhile. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Obsessed Knitter
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006 12:43:14 AM »

Hmm, I would recommend a couple of things, and see which one catches your eye:

A hat in the round - great practice knitting/purling and no decreases until several inches in

Wristwarmers - often made with no shaping at all except for a thumb hole (just a partial bind off usually) and would look great in a varigated yarn, although I wouldn't recommend going with novelty yarns for your second project (too hard to see stitch definition and fix mistakes)

A felted bag - these are all the rage right now, and the greatest thing about felting is that all your mistakes felt away into a solid fabric! This could also be used as practice changing colors, and there is usually little to no shaping on a tote, but if you wanted shaping you could look for a bag that isn't a typical 'tote' shape.

Any of these would be great for a second project, and I'm sure that another craftster will come up will some more options! (or I'll post more tomorrow, but I am way too tired for my brain to think of any more projects. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crnaofca
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006 06:22:05 AM »

panta! It has increases and decreases, but it is very simple and small:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
ABitofEverything
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006 01:46:24 PM »

Is a panta the ear warmer type partial hat? lol I saw one on one of the postings but am getting confused!  I bet dd would like one of those....
I'm actually thinking of just going ahead and tackling a pair of socks... found a sock tutorial on this board someone posted and with pictures every step of the way I think I might could muddle through... Smiley  Am I nuts?  Can a newbie really make socks right away?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trisarahtop
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006 08:24:03 PM »

One of my friends lived in Ireland as a child, and I think she learned to knit by knitting socks. You'll learn most of the techniques you're going to need to know, and it'll be a fairly quick project so you'll get almost instant gratification! Plus, no matter how bad the socks turn out, it's always nice to have a cozy pair of socks in the winter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
sandraregina

Knewbie knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006 12:22:22 PM »

http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/bunny.shtm

Bunny from a square. See my user pic. It was the 2nd thing I ever knit, was super easy (the hardest part was the folding), quick, and in the end you have a plush toy. What could be better?
It may seem odd, but it was very rewarding to see something three dimensional come out of a few loops of yarn.

EDIT - Oh! And doing the ears introduced me quite painlessly to increasing/decreasing (I used the other ear pattern) and I could fiddle with it without worrying about messing up a big project.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006 12:24:37 PM by sandraregina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got knitting needles, and I'm not afraid to use them.

This year I'm doing the 'Na-No' again: www.nanowrimo.org
30 days + 50,000 words + No sleep + Too much caffeine = One Novel in One Month.
cotneyroo
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006 12:27:27 PM »

I second the socks suggestion, if you're feeling gutsy! It was deciding I wanted to learn to knit socks that really pushed me into knitting confidence. I bought a book/pamphlet at Michaels or AC Moore called "Learn to Knit Socks" but there is lots more info on the internet than there was when I got started.  The best sock books out there, IMHO, are the Nancy Bush books, in particular Folk Socks and Knitting on the Road.

DPNs feel really weird at first but get much much easier with practice! I recommend a pretty "big needle" sock project so you don't get frustrated and feel like you're not making any progress. Google "Joan's Wool-Ease Socks" for a good pattern. Two strands held together, cheap yarn, and makes nice thick slipper socks. I'm a fan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Peekaboo Manicure
How to Do a Midi Nail Ring Manicure
How to Recreate Cameron Diaz’s Beachy Hairstyle
How to Get a Perfect Pink Lip Look
Pastel Nail Color is the Biggest Nail Trend of the Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...