Here is the first hat I've ever made, finished today. It was supposed to be shaped like a baseball cap but it took on a sherlock holmes -sorta shape and I think I like that just as much. There is a leather button on the top but I'm not sure if you can see it in any of the pictures. The inside is lined with the same paisley you see along the rim, and it's lined with batting to make it warm (definitely more for a chilly london evening than midday in the sun).
It was fun and easy to make, and I think I might make more to sell in different colors once I perfect my technique, since I'm out of work and out of money...
and on the creator:
I hope you all like it.
Here is a tutorial with pictures and captions to explain.
1. cut out four symmetrical shapes in the fabric you would like for the outside, plus four in a fabric for the inside, plus four of poly or cotton batting. The bottom length of each should be equal to the circumfrence of your head divided by four.
2. Using the brim of another hat you are fond of, trace and cut a brim made of something stiff. I used two layers of cross-stitch backing. Now cut out two pieces of fabric that are an inch or two wider all the way around.
I used fabric glue to fold under and fasten the material to the underside. Then I folded the piece of fabric to be used on top in on itself and glued the underside of the folded piece along the outside edge of the brim. I left the inside edge open to put batting inside and so that I could attach the brim to the hat.
3. Next I sewed all of the four outside pieces plus batting together and [separately] the inside pieces together to make two beanie-type hats.
4. This part is difficult to explain and do, even though the rest of the hat was simple: To get the edge [paisley on my hat] to show on the outside and to keep the hems invisible, I had to sew the two outside edges together on the inside of the hat so that I could pull the two pieces to the outside and have a bubble or push the paisley piece inside and show the pattern inside the hat. The picture I drew is supposed to be a cross-section. The hardest part was the last quarter of this process, and it definitely requires some handsewing.
5. Phew! Now that that part is over, all you need to do is arrange the brim and sew it into place inside the hat, then attach a button. The white dotted lines show where I stitched.
I hope this adequately explains the process. It's much easier and quicker than it sounds from my rambling.
oh god for some awful reason, photobucket is making the tute too blurry to understand the words. this is soooooo annoying.