A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soft cover Book Protector- with Tutorial! (and LOTSA pics)  (Read 9655 times)
Tags for this thread: book_cover , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sweetttart3

Tea and Cake or Death

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006 06:17:13 AM »

My baby sister starts her senior year of high school in the fall, and this would be a great gift. Thanks so much for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn the man, Save the Empire!

http://www.wists.com/Sweetttart3

I wanna personal swap!
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006 06:33:21 AM »

If you want to customize the size of it to fit larger books simply measure the front, back and spine then add one inch and measure from top to botttom and add 1 inch.  These will be your new dimensions for the main and lining pieces.  The flap will still be 3 inches by whatever the short measurement is.  The dimensions I gave were for the smaller paperback books but this would work for larger books as well.  The handles would stay the same.  I also put a pocket on the front of this one before I sewed the main piece and the lining piece to hold ID, money, debit card, etc.  Good luck to everyone I would love to see them when you make them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spinelli320
Lurky McLurkerson

Go go... not cry cry.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006 07:36:36 AM »

Could you possibly use some type of spandex so that it'll stretch over different sizes of book?  This might not work for softcover but I bet it would for hardcovers...  BTW I've seen these at craftshows and they charge an arm and a leg... it's great that you posted this for everyones use!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The world is divided into two kinds of people:  those who have tattoos, and those who are afraid of people with tattoos.  ~Author Unknown
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006 11:19:16 AM »

An arm and a leg really?  I had no idea, my friend's mom brought me one that she had and said can you make me one like it so I just copied what I saw.  I was thinking about making them for a craft show I have coming up next April but I didn't think they would go over well, I thought about charging $5 for them.  They were easy peasy to make.  I bet a stretchy fabric would work great and you could get  a lot more sizes out of them instead of having to make a new one for every single book.  Good luck to everyone, I'd love to see some pics!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eveel

www.sinfulknitter.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006 12:02:35 PM »

I have been looking for this tutorial for weeks now. I have a few books that are the larger size paperbacks but I only have one for large and one for regular sized paperbacks.

I have one suggestion, look into vinyl material, something waterproof (or line it).  That way they don't have to worry about being caught in the rain without a coat to hide it under.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006 12:44:25 PM by Eveel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has justified my packrat behaviour
LNsGirl
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012 07:12:55 AM »

I love this!  I really want to make one for my books that I do read.  I may have to make several in different sizes though.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Collage
How to Create a Family Collage
How to Do a Peace Collage
How to Create a Collage Poster
How to Make a Sports Collage
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...