A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 316,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
283 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: legal?  (Read 1522 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bethy85
project wonderland

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2006 09:55:59 PM »

I love decorating wooden boxes and picture frames. I'm also love poetry. Is it legal for me paint on poetry or lyrics as quote with the author's name?  I'm by no means trying to rip off someone's work. I also asked on the etsy boards. I just want to get a good understanding of what is and isn't ok. Its confussing because I'm required to use quotes in english papers, but when your profiting from it all the rules change.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006 10:14:43 AM »

I was hoping that one of our resident intellectual property expert craftsters would reply; as they haven't, here's my interested layman's understanding.

I have a similar product/idea and have done some rudimentary research into the issue.  From what I can tell, song titles, book titles, and phrases are not subject to copyright.  (Phrases CAN be trademarked.)  Song lyrics and poems are subject to copyright.  I haven't been able to find any resource that says one way or the other about quotations.

From my fairly limited research, I've concluded that Fair Use means that I am free to make all the quote- and lyric-embellished picture frames I want, so long as I choose to give away the finished product.  Were I to list those same items in my Etsy shop, my use may no longer be Fair because:

- the copywritten material is integral to my work
- my work would be for commercial instead of private use

Factors weighing in favor of Fair Use:

- I use only a portion of the original work
- my use is artistic and transformative (i.e., I'm not making copies of an original)

In short, I'm not sure and should probably get in touch with a copyright lawyer.  Sorry I can't offer a clearer response!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
batgirl
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006 10:41:32 AM »

You should be fine using quotes whose authors have been dead for more than 70 years, making them public domain. But be careful with anything contemporary, such as popular song lyrics. Quoting Shakespeare should be fine, quoting Jeff Buckley could get you into hot water. The same thing applies to images.

my .02

Batgirl (librarian, not an attorney)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
bethy85
project wonderland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006 01:43:14 PM »

thank you both for your advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006 01:50:38 PM »

as long as you credit the author, what you're doing is fine as long as you don't reproduce the entire work.  straight from my lawyer's mouth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006 01:54:11 PM »

Sweeeeet.  Thanks, girlypirate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
stereoette
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006 07:12:49 PM »

girlypirate, your lawyer is a liar (no offense to you, of course!)

crediting work will not alleviate copyright infringment, and neither will not copying the "whole" work.  The test for copyright infringment is "substiantial similarity" and you can be substiantially similar, even with copying only a part, and with giving credit.  Further, fair use is a pretty narrow exception and likely wouldn't be applicable in the case you've described.

Cinderly is correct, however, you should watch out for trademark violations as well, because even though you cant copyright titles and such, some of them may qualify as trademarks, as they signify a good in commerce. (ie, cant copyright the title of a harry potter book, but Harry Potter i believe is a valid US trademark)

However, Batgirl is also right, you should be pretty safe using works 70+ years old, *unless* you are using a newer translation of a work in a foreign language or something like that.

IP law has lots of little twist and turns, but thats what makes it fun (for lawyers, not for crafters, unfortunately)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
bethy85
project wonderland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006 07:52:59 PM »

Thanks for all you help. I'm still confused. I visited the copyright website and it was like reading japanesse to me, lol. I did find a website that has a list of poem that are public domain. If anyone else is interested it's -->  http://www.pddoc.com/poems/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...