A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two new shirts - super easy :) (now with tute)  (Read 10563 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 29, 2006 07:32:29 PM »

I loev empire waistlines - I don't know how many times I can say that!! They hide the tummy pretty well...and this summer I'm all about halters and tubes...so please feast your eyes on these two pretty new backless halters that I constructed last night:

The first one was the easiest, a square and some pretty pink ribbons... The one under the bust continues around the back and closes at the side with a hook and eye.

The second one took a little more construction, but was well worth it. I love the white dots on the black that make up a pretty geometric pattern!

Any comments appreciated, and thanks for looking!

~EDIT~
--------------------------------------
Tutorial for second backless shirt:

First, you need to start with a few measurements
~underbust (around entire ribcage)
~underbust (front area only)
~from underbust to where you want the shirt to sit
~over the fullest part of the bust (I measured mine from where I wanted to neck strap to start to the area under my bust)
~bust width (I don't know technical terms here)

Cut the following pieces out:

~To get the proper sizing, I used the measurement from over my bust on the two cups (plus seam allowance) and used the 90 degree angle from the fabric ege (Gave me lots of fullness - I'm sure you could modify the amount of material used for smaller-chested people)
~The waist-band was cut to the full underbust length (plus seam allowances) and about 4 inches wide.
~The neck strap was the same, just shorter (I cut mine long, and trimmed it down afterwards)
~The bodice front piece was the shorter underbust measurement by the desired length (plus seam allowances)

Easy sewing:
~Start by sewing (wrong sides out) the waist band and neck strap length-wise.
~Turn right side out, and press.
~Turn in the bottom edge of the bodice front piece, as well as the two side edges.
~Press flat.
~Turn in the outside edges of the bust cups, leaving room at the top for the neck strap.
~Press flat.
~Gather the rounded end together until it is will fit snugly under your breast.
~Pin bodice front onto waistband and sew together (right sides together). (I used some basic side release buckleshttp://www.seattlefabrics.com/images/siderelease.jpg with a side attachement, rather than at the back)
~Press flat.
~Find center of bodice front and place cups accordingly. Pin.
~Press.
~Attach neck strap.
~Attach any closures that you wish to use. (I used some basic side release buckleshttp://www.seattlefabrics.com/images/siderelease.jpg with a side attachement, rather than at the back for the bodice and again at the side of the neck for the neck, rather than a tie)

Finishing the edges, and putting the straps together:

Sewing the waistband to the bodice, and gathering the cups:

Sewing cups to bodice/waistband and adding neck-strap:

I hope this helps a bit! This is the first tute I've written, so if anyone has any way to simplify this, please tell me and I'll change things to make them easier to understand Smiley
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006 02:59:53 PM by jezebel_1982 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
clothesgirl
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006 08:36:53 PM »

woot woot, those are super hot! be careful not to cause any traffic accidents.... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coming through the window, head on your pillow, the sight is honey for my mind girl and I've been digging, ever deeper, this love gets easier the more it's sung to, the more it rings true, the more I find the breath to help sing with these miner's lungs...
SRB
gunanua
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006 06:12:24 AM »

I love the second one, very stylish! I love that the front isnt too revealing, I can NEVER wear a strappy top without it being too revealing (because of my large bust that cant be contained!!). Did you use a pattern for this one or did you make it uo yourself?If you did I would LOVE a tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViolentViolet
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006 09:00:37 AM »

Sew Cute!!I love the first!Also is your back branded?Its lovley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I just love her man,Hey what are you doing with that brick?"

http://www.wists.com/EvaBlack
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006 06:56:16 PM »

Those are really great.  I am loving hot pink and black right now so I like the first one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alaniee
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006 06:48:06 PM »

Whoa you look amazing- I love the first one
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006 03:43:30 AM »

thansk all for the positive response. No, there was no pattern for either. After work sometime tonight (as long as I'm not dead to the world)

And the back isn't a branding - close though. Scarification by cutting and flesh removal.

I will make up a tutorial for the more complicated one.

The black and pink was a black rectangle of nearly see-through knit, gathered under the arms, pink satin ribbon sewn around neck, pink ribbon sewn around underbust area, side closure stolen from an old broken bra, and a bow made from the same ribbon and sewn on.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006 03:01:54 PM by jezebel_1982 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunnyphreak
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006 07:52:36 PM »

this is just the best!!! I really want to try it as I always want to wear the back tie look but always need breast support  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyCregga
keeper of the castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006 06:56:29 PM »

I love them!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! -- What a Ride! -- Anonymous
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006 05:59:58 AM »

Very pretty!! I have the problem of getting enough boob coverage on the sides, near my armpits, so you can be sure I'll be trying out your instructions!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Fajitas
Macaroons Recipe
Twice Baked Potatoes
How to make Chateaubriand
How to Make Cheesesteak Quesadilla
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...