A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 648366 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2006 09:46:40 PM »

Superb! One more time you show your wonderful talent!!!!!!!!!
I am trying to making one soon!
Perach
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rika
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2006 10:14:55 AM »

how do you think the skirt of this one was made?
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/10280pamela_narcissist.jpg
the image is from christai's swim suit thread
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 08:51:53 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

im new... be nice!
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2006 10:58:01 AM »

any time you see folds, there is extra fullness.  the more folds, the more fullness.  you can tell where the fullness is by where the folds are.  since the folds/fullness in this skirt is at the hem but not at the hip or waist, you can tell that it is a-line.

edited here to add:  i went to the website and looked at the video of the pamela dress, it is NOT the same as the dress i made.  the pamela dress is a traditional halter top that is closed behind the neck and the belt is SEPARATE.  the pamela dress does have a variety of ways to wear it but it is built completely differently.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006 11:10:50 AM by rostitchery » THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
offnlalaland54
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2006 02:51:11 PM »

i love it!! gorgeous, i want to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm ready to jump back into craftster, i'm up for any angeling, so let me know!!
autopilotstar
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2006 05:33:30 PM »

After seeing everybody's lovely dresses, I was inspired to give it a try.  The fabric I used was pretty stretchy, but I'm not sure exactly what it was because it said "unknown fibres".  It seems to be some sort of knit.  One of the best parts is that I got the fabric for 99 cents a metre so it only cost me about 3 dollars.

One modification I made was that I changed the skirt.  I originally cut out a circle skirt but I found there was too much volume (and it was also slightly too big) so I hemmed up the sides to make it more narrow.  This also resulted in the hem being kinda... well, crooked... but I don't find it's too obvious, so I'm just going ot leave it as is.

Thank you to rostitchery for the inspiration and instructions!  And thanks to everyone else for showing off their lovely creations.

The dress:

Back:

Close up:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 08:51:05 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
marshmallowmintmagic
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2006 06:16:53 PM »

oh, that looks sooo flattering on you. plus it is just a cool concept. it's one of those dresses that is like an infinity dress, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.nightmeadow.com/ebay/
we sometimes sell off our sweet vintage wardrobes due to necessity.
rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2006 04:26:27 AM »

autopilotstar, you look FABULOUS in this dress!!!

marshmallowmintmagi c, i actually posted in both threads, go back and read thru this thread and the infinity thread from beginning to end, you can see the progression.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bnanca
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2006 07:29:19 AM »

Hey everybody I tried to make the dress this weekend but got stuck and frustrated when it came to putting it together, I turned the skirt with the bad side (inside) on the outside like the tut said, but it didnt come out right, after tons of tries I just gave up for now. UGH!!!!! Also, the fabric I was working with was a bit on the short side. Ugh!!! So I think I am gonna do some practicing with a different kind of fabric and also do a smaller version before I go for the big stuff. Any suggestions, or anybody care to explain how to put it all together better, or clearer pictures, or is it I am just a bit slower at this sewing thing then everybody else. I was a bit frustrated with this. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2006 07:42:41 AM »

bnanca, i'm sorry this was so frustrating for you. 

you don't HAVE to turn the skirt inside out but it helps if you want to take advantage of the turn of the cloth to roll the waist around your body.

if you want, you CAN sew it with the skirt turned right side out--either way, all you need to do is make sure the straps and the skirt are right sides together, and then put the folded waistband on top of all that so you sew them all on at one time.

as i have mentioned repeatedly, i am working on a new tutorial that will have more pictures but at this time i can't promise it will be ready on any specific date because i have a show to finish designing.  i promise that i will post when the new tutorial is ready.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bnanca
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2006 08:41:19 AM »

Okay.... I get it now.... ugh!!! I think I am the type to jump right in, do it wrong and waste material in order to get it right, I sooo need to stop that, hahaha!! But thanks for the tip, can't wait for the new tut.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Gradient Text in Photoshop
How to Shape a Screaming Face in Photoshop
How to Use IES Lights in 3DMax
Adobe InDesign CS5 Review
How to Use Content Aware Fill in Photoshop CS5
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...