A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 663297 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixie24
« Reply #1430 on: June 14, 2011 02:11:10 AM »

i bought my fabric. i went to this fabric market. imagine a wet market kind of set up but instead of meats, it's all sewing related stuff. there were about 3 kinds of stretchy fabrics there. i got a spandex mix (that's what the guy who sold it to me called it). they had a satin kind of stretch fabric which i really wanted but it was too expensive. so i settled with the spandex.

the fabric looked good enough. the ends don't seem to fray so that's good for me since i wouldn't have to hem. though they do curl a little but i have no problem with that. it might be a little thin though. a possible concern for flash photography. but this is my first attempt at sewing a dress so i don't really want to tackle lining it. i'll probably just wear one of those skirt undergarment things (what is that called anyway?)

the thing is, i was only able to get 3.5 yards because i didn't have extra money and they didn't accept cards. do you think this is enough for a floor length dress? (i'm short and medium built)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011 11:10:28 AM by pixie24 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meantforthestage
« Reply #1431 on: June 14, 2011 11:33:09 AM »

I made one! It has been on my to-do list, literally for years and here's what I came up with!

I wrote more about my experience making this dress here:
http://favorthebrave.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-made-it-infinity-dress.html

Thanks for all the inspiration!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make things. I write things. You should look at them and read them.
http://favorthebrave.blogspot.com/
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1432 on: June 14, 2011 12:17:41 PM »

oh my gosh--it turned out so cute!  I am glad you fulfilled one of your "to do" items!

Thanks for the tips of how you save fabric...I generally buy 4-6 yards and the leftovers seem like a huge waste!  I think with a print, it is easier to do since the seam is hidden by the print...I am not sure I would like a seam showing down the front in a solid...

You look lovely and did a wonderful job---I bet you get lots of requests from your friends now! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1433 on: June 15, 2011 10:31:10 AM »

That looks great meantforthestage.  Thanks for sharing your tips as well.  I think I need to see if I have enough fabric left for a bra band as I had trouble trying to wear the dress I made without it.

Incase anyone is interested, I used 4way stretch fabric and made my straps in 2 pieces cut across the fabric with a seam in the middle to save fabric, it worked great.  Now I just need to wait until I'm done breastfeeding to try wearing it again (I made it just before I got pregnant).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
pixie24
« Reply #1434 on: July 03, 2011 10:05:12 AM »

i finally finished mine. i still couldn't figure out the waistband and the straps so i did mine a little differently. i tried to follow the original instructions but, for the life of me, i just couldn't figure it out. there was a point when it finally became clear in my head. i was so excited to go home and do it but when i was already sewing it, i got all confused again. i had to sew, rip, and restich several times. and i was doing it all by hand! it basically took me 3 weeks to finish. since i stopped when i was tired, frustrated, or just plain confused. but nevertheless, i still finished it. but i did it quite differently.

i made mine using a half circle skirt because it was a floor length dress. i realized later on that i could've made it a 1/4 circle or an a-line pattern to save me more fabric but i realized that too late. though i still love how flowy it turned out with the half circle.
my straps were shorter than perscribed because i used up most of the fabric on the skirt. i'll probably redo these and buy additional fabric so i can play around with the straps more. and the straps tapered in the ends instead of being rectangular. this is mainly because of my fabric shortage problem.
the biggest change i made were the straps and waistband. mine were detachable! i attached the straps to the waistband and put a zipper on the ends of the waistband so i can wear this over the skirt.

here's a diagram i made:

i don't need to wear a boob tube since the top of my skirt is meant to be worn over the boobs and the waistband is worn just under the bustline.

i'm wearing this to a wedding this week so i'll post the actual pictures of the dress after the wedding.

on another note, with the detachable strap idea, it makes the dress more infinite. i tried the straps on without the skirt and it looked like a sexy top. just throw on some jeans and i'm good to go!

i'm also planning to make a swimsuit top using the detachable straps concept.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixie24
« Reply #1435 on: July 05, 2011 10:19:22 AM »

here are some pics of my dress! Cheesy i wore it to a wedding yesterday. no one wanted to believe me when i told them that i made it from scratch. Cheesy

like i said in my last post, i did mine with a detachable strap and waistband. here's how the strap looks like:

the straps aren't really as thin in reality. the edges curled up in this pic, making them look thin.
i used a strip of zipper (like the ones used in jackets) at the ends. i wanted to make the waistband very snug to make sure the skirt/tube does not slip down. so i needed to add the zipper because closing it shut would make it difficult to slip into.

here's the skirt part of the dress, worn as a tube with a gold belt:

here's the detachable straps worn as a top:

i think the detachable straps made it so much more versatile. i'm going to make another waistband with longer straps so i can have more wrapping options next time.

my next project is to attempt a bikini top with the detachable straps concept. but i'll probably have to use a sewing machine for that one instead of hand sewing to make sure it's sturdy enough to endure the added weight when it gets wet.

ps. sorry about the photo orientation. i tried to rotate them but it doesn't seem to work. i also tried to rotate the photos before uploading. they work in my computer when i preview them. but they end up horizontal again when i upload.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011 01:00:45 AM by pixie24 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: July 05, 2011 12:27:13 PM »

It looks very pretty - and an interesting variation on the basic pattern.  Well done and thanks for sharing the pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catniplemon
All your base are belong to us!

I like rusty spoons. - Salad Fingers

View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: July 26, 2011 09:37:51 AM »

-This dress can be made on 100% cotton when you make the straps cut them on the bias (if you aren't too sure google "how to make bias binding) they will stretch and conform nicely. Now for the curvier lady (me) make your straps a couple of inches wider than needed and gather onto your skirt and if you are super curvy in the breast area you can cut the strap a couple of inches wider and curve the end that attaches to your skirt, give it a little gather as you attach then it will fit the girls like a glove.

I just about came out of my skin when I read this...in a good way.
You see, I have been scouring my local Salvation Army for any sort of 2 way stretch material to make this dress. (They have this "material at 5 dollars / bag section and I take full advantage of -that-!)
Granted, I have found quite a bit of fabric, and actually made one from this lovely stuff I got there. As soon as I read this part of your post, I jumped up and grabbed a bit of cotton fabric, and sure enough when you tug on the BIAS of it, it STRETCHES! I was so excited I couldn't sleep last night. (is that obsessive behavior?)

My question, for anyone who knows the answer of course, is this:  How would one go about making the straps long enough cutting on the BIAS without having to seam two (or more)pieces together? I'm either too cloudy from lack of sleep (heh) or I simply can't grasp how it's done.  Playing around with some scrap fabric made me realize that the stretch runs in the wrong direction for the straps, using the BIAS strip method. At least, for me it does seeing how I'm a B cup. But - on a side note to that BIAS strip thing, it would sure do wonders for making a band for a non-stretch fabric SKIRT portion, wouldn't it?

Off to the drawing board! Ever want to just roll around in all your lovely fabrics you've saved for that PERFECT project? No?

Okay then.

I tried taking photos of me in my Infinity dress yesterday when I finished, but it just was NOT working! I love looking at everyone's pictures, and I'm not going to wimp out on you! When D.H. came home for his lunch I showed him my results and he was all about helping me with the straps and performing all the "ooo"'s and "aaahhh"'s any well behaved husband SHOULD do for his wife. He was sweet for pretending to be so happy for me  and telling me he loved it.  Grin
  I hope I can get clear on this BIAS cutting so I can whip out some of these in this GORGEOUS fabric I have and not a clue what to do with!
   Can anyone point me in the direction of the panties a few others made to match the dress for those windy days? I'd love to give that a go too!
  Woo hoo! I'm so excited. And I just can't hide it...

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011 03:19:55 PM by Catniplemon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Euch, you taste like soot and poo Hubert Cumberdale! - Salad Fingers
Aquaisces
« Reply #1438 on: September 13, 2011 05:53:57 PM »

Oh. Holy. Hell.

McCall's is offering a pattern for this dress. http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6353-products-14408.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ekioart
Queen of Procrastination

Working on it....No Really, I am......sorta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1439 on: September 15, 2011 06:44:31 AM »

That's funny, but I see ads for the dress all the time so not surprising. Especially linked to wedding sites, it's a very popular style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm bringing sexy back, I think I dropped it somewhere between the donut shop and the Cheesecake Factory.

My etsy shop
http://Ekioart.etsy.com
My Wists!
http://www.wists.com/Ekioart
I blather on about stuff here.
http://ekioart.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Monumental and Ceremonial Culture
Cool Art Made Out of Pop Bottle Caps
Using an iPhone to Control a 40-Foot Figure Sculpture
Eye Spy: Huge Eyeball in Big City
Peripheral Vision 001: Eric Staller
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...