A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
776 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 667719 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Avian Flight
« Reply #1400 on: June 30, 2010 10:47:35 AM »

JPea, that looks amazing! Great fabric choice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
ruthybaby
« Reply #1401 on: July 16, 2010 03:04:21 PM »

I absolutely LOVE this dress, and would love to make it, but before I stress myself out in the process I was wondering what bra can be worn with this dress? I have a 30G bust so my bra options are pretty limited... Please someone tell me it is possible  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 17, 2010 09:51:05 AM »

I absolutely LOVE this dress, and would love to make it, but before I stress myself out in the process I was wondering what bra can be worn with this dress? I have a 30G bust so my bra options are pretty limited... Please someone tell me it is possible  Undecided
MonifC shows you how to wear a similar dress WITH a bra on her site: 
Monif C. Marilyn Convertible Dress How To Video on Youtube
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ellyjobell
« Reply #1403 on: July 24, 2010 12:20:26 PM »

I saw something like this at the store, but didn't want to shell out $75 for it, I'll have to make one someday
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kell78
« Reply #1404 on: July 26, 2010 03:21:15 AM »

Wow not only has this thread been popular enough to have 140 pages it has spanned several years!!

I love this dress so much. I have made 3 over the last 12 months and plan on many more. The first 2 I made I posted about on page 138, I never did take photos although this time I will.

I am making short pixie hem dresses for my bridesmaids for my super relaxed wedding next week. I was meant to make myself a floor length simple a line dress so I looked all bride-like but decided that would be too much as the groom and groomsmen are wearing 3/4 khakis and white shirts with sleeves rolled up ( my hubby to be is definately not the suit and tie type) So now I am making myself the same dress as my bridesmaids in a deep eggplant/aubergine colour and I am so excited.

I have read through all 140pages over the last couple of days (for the second time) and I am still blown away by how fabulous this dress looks on everyone. Big thanks to everyone who has posted their hints and tips, I studied dressmaking when I left school and have still learned heaps from craftster, this site rocks.

Massive thanks to Rostitchery for this awesome tutorial.

Long winded I know but here is what I have learned while making this dress:

-Stretch material is a wonderful and forgiving material, it can conform to so many different body types, don't be afraid of sewing with it just use ALOT of pins and it's all good

-This dress can be made on 100% cotton when you make the straps cut them on the bias (if you aren't too sure google "how to make bias binding) they will stretch and conform nicely. Now for the curvier lady (me) make your straps a couple of inches wider than needed and gather onto your skirt and if you are super curvy in the breast area you can cut the strap a couple of inches wider and curve the end that attaches to your skirt, give it a little gather as you attach then it will fit the girls like a glove.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #1405 on: July 28, 2010 09:02:35 AM »

Wow not only has this thread been popular enough to have 140 pages it has spanned several years!!

I love this dress so much. I have made 3 over the last 12 months and plan on many more. The first 2 I made I posted about on page 138, I never did take photos although this time I will.

I am making short pixie hem dresses for my bridesmaids for my super relaxed wedding next week. I was meant to make myself a floor length simple a line dress so I looked all bride-like but decided that would be too much as the groom and groomsmen are wearing 3/4 khakis and white shirts with sleeves rolled up ( my hubby to be is definately not the suit and tie type) So now I am making myself the same dress as my bridesmaids in a deep eggplant/aubergine colour and I am so excited.

I have read through all 140pages over the last couple of days (for the second time) and I am still blown away by how fabulous this dress looks on everyone. Big thanks to everyone who has posted their hints and tips, I studied dressmaking when I left school and have still learned heaps from craftster, this site rocks.

Massive thanks to Rostitchery for this awesome tutorial.

Long winded I know but here is what I have learned while making this dress:

-Stretch material is a wonderful and forgiving material, it can conform to so many different body types, don't be afraid of sewing with it just use ALOT of pins and it's all good

-This dress can be made on 100% cotton when you make the straps cut them on the bias (if you aren't too sure google "how to make bias binding) they will stretch and conform nicely. Now for the curvier lady (me) make your straps a couple of inches wider than needed and gather onto your skirt and if you are super curvy in the breast area you can cut the strap a couple of inches wider and curve the end that attaches to your skirt, give it a little gather as you attach then it will fit the girls like a glove.

You're a GENIUS! I would never have thought to cut the straps on the bias (I'm too chinchy), or to round the end of the strap to get a bowl like strap... such GREAT IDEAS! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Charlotte22
« Reply #1406 on: August 18, 2010 07:26:42 AM »

the dress looks amazing and simple. I am definetly gonna do that once i get some fabric and a sewing machine. (alhtough, propably doable also by hand...) But i have a question. Most of them are made of stretchy fabric. What kind of fabric does it have to be exactly? And how much fabric is really hard to figure out...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010 02:29:49 PM by Charlotte22 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Charlotte22
« Reply #1407 on: August 24, 2010 09:29:53 AM »

Done. I did have to make some adjustment (due to my bad math skills) and some corrections to my mistakes, but i didn't give up and now i am done. Wanna see? Cheesy I bet you do Cheesy
Here it is then :
Front

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_VL_nPt5Gnlk/THPmsh_BB4I/AAAAAAAAARY/878HrGmYXL0/s512/2010-08-24%2016.21.58.jpg
And the back (it was a bit windy Tongue)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_VL_nPt5Gnlk/THPogcN0_vI/AAAAAAAAARg/rO5JqvAr43w/s512/2010-08-24%2016.20.45.jpg

Yay! So proud of myself! Smiley Will be wearing it on friday to theater on my birhtday Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Musefreak

I belong to you- Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1408 on: August 25, 2010 01:36:12 AM »

charlotte22- it looks lovely on you, great job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't resist "The Resistance" Cheesy
-
my Wist
-
Blog

interested in personal swaps
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1409 on: August 25, 2010 11:54:25 AM »

Absolutely gorgeous Charlotte22!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Capture Footage in Premiere Pro CS5
Watch This Instead Review of The Last Airbender
Learn Premiere Pro CS5 Users Interface
What a Grip Does on a Film Set
How to Key in Premiere Pro CS5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...