A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 694521 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_dress , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tenille
« Reply #1140 on: April 03, 2008 09:58:01 AM »

I was just wondering, do you cut out your straps first or do you cut out the skirt part?

I actually had them cut two pieces of fabric for me when I made/make  mine. One to use for the skirt, and one that's the length I need for my straps. That way, I don't have to make  ten milion extra cuts and ruin pieces of fabric. Only 2 cuts for the length of the straps (one if I use the clean edgesof the fabric instead of the middle) and of course I have a piece that's just right to cut my skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 07, 2008 06:41:46 AM »

thanks for the tute, I love this style of dress and have seen it on ladies both smaller and larger than myself so I KNOW it'll suit me lol!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pantsonfire
« Reply #1142 on: April 09, 2008 08:45:05 AM »

I wanted to thank everyone for such an informative thread! I started reading it in September, used a modified version of the pattern to make four bridesmaids' dresses for my wedding in March (one with a boob tube), and you can see the results here: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2382082924_1ae2165edb.jpg. I guess I'm not allowed to post photos in my first ten posts.

I think they look pretty good!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Babyangel
Photographer, mommy, late night crafter

I made the BEST OF 2007 with my love letter box!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1143 on: April 09, 2008 09:53:15 AM »

I wanted to thank everyone for such an informative thread! I started reading it in September, used a modified version of the pattern to make four bridesmaids' dresses for my wedding in March (one with a boob tube), and you can see the results here: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2382082924_1ae2165edb.jpg. I guess I'm not allowed to post photos in my first ten posts.

Here is your picture! They are beautiful (as is your dress)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luckyduck29
« Reply #1144 on: April 10, 2008 01:21:52 PM »

OMG! First of all everyone looks gorgeous!! I am freaking out because you're gown is similar to one that I want and I had the idea to have my bridesmaids wear the convertible dresses too. Anyways, just wanted to say you looked beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #1145 on: April 10, 2008 03:02:38 PM »

Those bridesmaids dresses look fantastic!  What fabric did you use?  It looks a bit shiny, but it looks like it might have some stretch too?  So nice that the dress is versatile, so hopefully they will get to wear it again (and again and again).  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
pantsonfire
« Reply #1146 on: April 11, 2008 01:26:08 PM »

Thanks everyone - I actually used four different fabrics (because I was looking for four different colors, and stretch fabric isn't that easy to come by around these parts if you want it to be nicer than cotton jersey). The light, celery green was two-way stretch satin, the darker green and blue-green were a thicker four way stretch poly, and the medium green was a really thin (and kind of sparkly) super stretchy fabric so I had to double the straps.

It was my first time making a dress and I made four of them. I did add a zipper (to make sure they would fit, and also because all I had were measurements; they all live in CA and I'm in Denver) and made half circle skirts instead of full circle. I also made the waist band on the outside of the straps since that's how they all wanted it. The boob tube dress is the blue-green one; she was quite a bit bustier than the others and needed more support. I told them all they could tie the dress however they liked but they all ended up tying it about the same.

I don't know if any of them will wear them again, but the celery green one and dark green one both fit me (we are all the same size) so if they don't want their dresses they can give them back to me, haha!

luckyduck29, my dress is by Alfred Angelo. I didn't want a "real" wedding dress but it was important to my mom so I found one with the most color available. You can't tell from this photo but the embroidery on the dress is all green as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mouse123
« Reply #1147 on: April 11, 2008 07:55:21 PM »

It was my first time making a dress and I made four of them. I did add a zipper (to make sure they would fit, and also because all I had were measurements; they all live in CA and I'm in Denver) and made half circle skirts instead of full circle. I also made the waist band on the outside of the straps since that's how they all wanted it. The boob tube dress is the blue-green one; she was quite a bit bustier than the others and needed more support. I told them all they could tie the dress however they liked but they all ended up tying it about the same.

they all look so professional!!  do you mind sharing the dimensions of the straps?  and did you finish the edges?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luckyduck29
« Reply #1148 on: April 14, 2008 07:09:22 AM »

I was just wondering, do you cut out your straps first or do you cut out the skirt part?

I actually had them cut two pieces of fabric for me when I made/make  mine. One to use for the skirt, and one that's the length I need for my straps. That way, I don't have to make  ten milion extra cuts and ruin pieces of fabric. Only 2 cuts for the length of the straps (one if I use the clean edgesof the fabric instead of the middle) and of course I have a piece that's just right to cut my skirt.

Sorry I am so late with this but thank you for your reply. That made alot of sense, don't know why I didn't think of that earlier before I ruined some fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pantsonfire
« Reply #1149 on: April 15, 2008 03:36:53 PM »

they all look so professional!!  do you mind sharing the dimensions of the straps?  and did you finish the edges?

The straps were all made to fit each bust (ie, the width of the mid-chest to under the boob) so they were different for each dress. I think they were all about 90-100 inches long, though they might have been shortened by the BMs. I hemmed one of the dresses, my mom hemmed 2, and the MOH (light green dress) had hers professionally hemmed. Her dress and the medium green had double sided straps so they were already finished. I didn't finish the edges of the straps of the other two but my mom turned over and hemmed the edges of the parts that went over their boobs. This was all done at the last minute; when I sent the dresses they weren't hemmed so the girls could all decide how they wanted them hemmed and how short they would be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Baby Cross Stitch
How to Do Needlepoint with Wool
How To Wind The Bobbin On Your Machine
How to Use an Embroidery Hoop
How to Make a Basting Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...