A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
325 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 678458 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_dress , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tenille
« Reply #970 on: July 12, 2007 09:10:57 AM »

Great job shortiekrista70 . That color looks awsome on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
Kimberlina
« Reply #971 on: July 17, 2007 10:26:18 AM »

Here's one I made for DD- took me about 20 minutes (made one for myself last night, exactly the same only bigger.)

Love the dress- thanks, Rowena, for the tute!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mysscryss

I make stuff up

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 18, 2007 05:44:18 PM »

Does anyone have any pointers for working with such 'slick' material? I'm used to working with cotton with interfacing for purses and such and this large amount of fabric that just kept slipping and sliding everywhere really drove me nuts.

Is there an easy way to keep this from getting the best of me? I also had a hard time keeping the band and everything else together while i was sewing it.... any advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GrandTheftUno
« Reply #973 on: July 19, 2007 07:42:58 AM »

there was an article (I think it was in Threads, or maybe Sew news....or maybe a random piece of paper I found on a desk at work...) about sewing knits and jersey, recomending that you cut strips of a fusible, tearaway interfacing to stablize the fabric as you sew, and to make it less slick and finnicky...

I keep meaning to try it, but I'm also trying to keep my title for "worlds laziest craftster"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CuteFace
« Reply #974 on: July 19, 2007 01:36:37 PM »

I am SO thrilled I found this forum... I was thisclose to spending almost $200 a piece for four "Pamela" dresses for my bridesmaids to wear, from the Narcissist store in Vancouver. I was a little upset that I didn't have much selection when it came to colours (they only offered black, and black with red) but I REALLY want this type of dress!
When I found the instructions to make them myself I did a serious happy dance!

I have a few questions... and I've read through all 97 pages of the thread, don't think I found the answer I am looking for. I would like to use a fancier material, organza or taffeta or silk, something like that, but none of those stretch at all. Any suggestions on how to compensate for the lack of stretch? If I use a stiffer material will it still wrap well? Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenille
« Reply #975 on: July 19, 2007 03:06:55 PM »

I haven't made one with stiffer fabric before. I would suggest buying some stiffer fabric, maybe from the walmart $1 table and trying it out before you use the fabric you really want. Then you can play with it and see how it will work before you start cutting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
GrandTheftUno
« Reply #976 on: July 19, 2007 06:52:35 PM »

I would look for a silk or satin jersey, if you can find it. It will have a nice sheen, but it will stretch, wrap and drape well. Its a little hard to track down, I would check out the closest textile district to wherever you are. Failing that, a few people have done infinite dresses with a non stretch satin, you just have to put a zipper in, and finish your edges/hem, which you wouldnt have to do if you used a jersey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jan1972
« Reply #977 on: July 23, 2007 04:39:35 PM »

Finally,  I have had my fabric for this dress (6 dresses to be exact) for about 2 months.  I kept putting it off, unsure if I could do it.  Made my first one tonight.  Don't know what I was worried about,  It only took 1 1/2 hours.  I love it.  will have to get the rest of the fabric out and make the rest.

Its much easier to wrap on the dummy than on me.
Janette
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittin1982
« Reply #978 on: July 23, 2007 08:34:05 PM »

pretty fabric! Here's mine.  I made it in a bright pink jersey from joann's that i got on sale.  I modified it a little.  I made the skirt a half circle and added a tube top to the waist band.  I love the way it fits, though I have some slight modifications to do to make it fit even better...
 images are clickable.....

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007 08:34:55 PM by kittin1982 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: July 24, 2007 03:58:00 AM »

Kittin, your dress is lovely.  I love both your tying styles - the cap sleeve version is my fave.  You achieved a great fit with it already - can you fill us in on your modifications when they're done?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Jordan Reid of Ramshackleglam
Meet Shannon Ray of Gloss and Dirt
Meet Celebrity Makeup Artist Sarah Uslan
Meet K.L. Cao of SecretLifeofaBioNerd
Meet Celebrity Makeup Artist Jamie Greenberg
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...