A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 667841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #840 on: April 03, 2007 11:39:05 AM »

I wore my black one this winter with my pvc boots. Looked great. Smiley

Dressy sandals would most definitely work. Make it in a light, summery color, put with strappy sandals, slides, whatever... you could dress it up or down, especially if the fabric isn't all shimmery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shadygirl2623
« Reply #841 on: April 08, 2007 07:14:53 PM »

I found this beautiful dress in Las Vegas. It was at the Trop Shop Kiosks in the Tropicana Hotel.  It is similar to the quickie dress.  I have a link to a couple of sites that have them for sale but I'm looking to make my own and since I found this web site, I figured I put it out there.  You could make them short, long or even for kids.

http://blogs.ocregister.com/stylescoop/archives/2006/09/convertible_style_1.html#more

www.instyletrend.co m

www.tamaraus.com

www.ctodesigns.com

I can wrap my dress about 6 different ways, but that's because the ties aren't long enough for plus sized women, as soon as I get a bigger one made, the possibilities are endless, You have two separate layers so it makes it so easy for different ways to wear other than just wrapping straps.  Mine because of the prints make it look a little bohemian, but you could make it any style depending on pattern.

Hopefully some good idea for spring. good luck, I can't sew but I'm gonna try.         Barb
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007 07:43:52 PM by Shadygirl2623 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #842 on: April 08, 2007 07:24:45 PM »

Cool links, Shadygirl!  Thanks for sharing.  I'd love to see some photos of the one you bought, with the measurements so someone here can better attempt to make one.  Also, I'd ask one of the clothing mods to move your post to a new thread, since this is pretty different from the infinity dress, let's get a whole new discussion going on it!  Smiley
Great stuff though!  Smiley  I'll watch for more info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shadygirl2623
« Reply #843 on: April 08, 2007 09:58:09 PM »

I don't sew, so measurements won't be possible right now, I have no way to do it, but I just got pictures on photobucket.  Here's the link, I'm not too crazy about the patterns but it does look beautiful on.  You could change the style to what ever you want.  It's very feminine and flowy.

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/Shadygirl2623/

How do I ask MODS to move this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shadygirl2623
« Reply #844 on: April 09, 2007 12:35:35 PM »

used my hubby's measuring tape Embarrassed

There is not a tag for type of fabric but I'd say it is somesort of silk. I know you've seen middle Eastern women in their full body covering outfits that are in many beautiful prints, it's kind of like that. I hate bareing my arms or shoulders....ever. But I'd have to say that I felt comfortable because the dress stole the show and it just made me feel more feminine.  You could also wear one of those little shrugs they have over it.  Layed Out Flat it looks like /___\ . To me it just looks like a long wrap skirt but hte straps are extra long for wrappping.  My straps are too short for me (They didn't accomadate plus) I can only make it wrap a few ways so you may want to go longer.  And the web pages show some of the ways to wrap it.

This pattern seems to be a half circle (remmber I don't sew) the top " waist" band is curved.  I'm gonna call it a skirt, it just seems easier to describe.  The main waist band is about 44 inches (that goes the width of the skirt.  They attached to extra straps on each side about 32 inches on each side.  I measured length of "skirt" and it seems to be 31 inches top layer and 35 inches bottom layer.  I am a size 20 and I need a little wider of a skirt and longer straps.  Also you could make this shorter.  To wear as a shirt or short dress over leggings or pants.  Options are endless.  I can't wait to start. I'll try to answer questions. I'm thinking if I do a full circle pattern, after I use what I need, I can use extra to make one for my 6 yo daughter (I'll have to shorten it of course).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #845 on: April 09, 2007 12:42:59 PM »

It looks to me rather like a half apron.... is one layer longer than the other? are there just the 2 ties on each end of the waistband?
I like versatile and easy to make so any help it a bonus  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #846 on: April 17, 2007 11:53:17 AM »

I've dropped off Craftster for the past year+, but somehow (quite late to the party, as usual) I came across Rostitchery's tute for the infinity dress and I HAD TO HAVE IT. Never mind that I'm not the sewing type, that I've never made a dress, and that I don't even currently own a sewing machine with a zig-zag stitch, much less a serger. I read through all 84 pages of the thread (yes, really!), bought way too much (6 yds) of bright red polka-dot poly blend from wally world, and set to it. A few hours and more hand-stitching than I've ever done in my life later, I've got a new dress!
I, too, had the issue with the waistband being too big and had to cinch it with elastic, but I didn't want to take the chance that the waist wouldn't fit over my (proportionally) big hips. Although I'm not thrilled that the wrong side of the fabric inevitably makes an appearance (see the twisted-back version), I loved the print so much that I was willing to work with it.
Some headless pictures:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
McJulie-O
« Reply #847 on: April 17, 2007 11:59:49 AM »

Synne,
I love it, too! The wrong side being visible doesn't look bad at all! It looks like you'll really enjoy wearing it every opportunity you'll get!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
riario
:*

expecting our first!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #848 on: April 17, 2007 12:01:37 PM »

has anyone made this dress floor length??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #849 on: April 17, 2007 12:54:15 PM »

Beautiful dress!  The polka dots on red are gorgeous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jim Benton Draws His Character Franny K. Stein
Sonya Chung Talks About Long for This World
The UltraMind Solution Book Trailer
Tim Gunn Reveals a Few Tips and Greets Fans
Meet Author Daisy Fuentes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...