A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 662072 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2006 06:06:58 PM »

Timarie, I love that color on you! And Tailypo--I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that print and that way of tying it. I was already contemplating making this, but you just convinced me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
Moek
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2006 11:00:29 PM »

Finally I found my camera  Roll Eyes

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/moenok/clothes/infinitykimono.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/moenok/clothes/infinitycross.jpg
i messed up on the front (it apparently wasn't a 'circle') so i found a way to wear it backwards... but i don't think i'll ever wear it cause i can't wear a bra with it  Embarrassed

Thank you sooo much rostitchery! I'm starting to feel comfortable making clothes (i decided it's "learn to make clothes" summer). But my material was too thick and i think i like the patterned ones and i'll be sure to make that too, I just need fabric and elastic Wink

Also timarie I love how you wore it in the first picture!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011 05:56:46 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

setting up shop...
http://troupe.etsy.com

just started a wist too...
http://www.wists.com/moka
Tailypo
« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2006 11:33:37 PM »

Does everybody know how to cut a circle skirt? Dont just try to eyeball the shape or cut the edges off the open piece of fabric until it is round -- that way lies madness.

Take your rectangular piece of fabric and fold it in half, bringing the bottom edge up to meet the top.
Now take the left side and fold it down to match the right side. Your fabric should be like a four page book with the bottoms of each set of 2 pages stuck together at the bottom.
Determine the longest length you can get on your shortest side.  For example, if your rectangle now has 2 12 inch long sides and 2 24 inch long side, you are going to make a 12 inch circle skirt.  Here's how I do that:

Take your yardstick and mark 12" from the lower left hand corner along the bottom edge of your piece of fabric.  Mark it by chalking along the wide top of your yardstick -- that gives you a solid one inch mark.  Now, the end of the yardstick does not move from the lower left hand corner (That is where your waistband is going to be).  Use it as the whatchamacalit of your circle.  The fulcrum?  Measure 12 inches from that spot all around your folded fabric unti you get to the other (24") side.  Now, figuring that only 1/4 of your waistline is represented by the cut you are about to make, graba pie plate or an XL Pizza or whatever you want to use for the perfectly circular waistline.

I hope that helps, and makes sense, and isn't the dumbest way of cutting a circle skirt you have ever heard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2006 04:42:30 AM »

timarie, moek, both of you look amazing!!! 

moek, i have found a few ways to wear it backwards too, one of them is posted on the blog (the last thumbnail pair near the bottom of the post).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
Chilan
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2006 09:49:06 AM »

rostitchery:  I thought you might appreciate this...

I was wearing this dress to work today (i work for a high end fashion designer) and one of my coworkers said that she loved my dress.  She said that she saw it in a window and said that she just sat in front of it for a while, wanting to buy it.  I told her that she couldn't have seen i in a window because I made it, so she told me that the dress that she was was really expensive (this girl just recently bought Gucci shoes without batting in eye... her saying something is expensive is saying a lot!).   HA!!!  I used fabric that I found on the dollar table at Wally World.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2006 10:10:57 AM »

chilan, i love it!!!

don't give away your fashion secret--offer to make it for her for half the cost of the one she saw in the store.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2006 01:15:48 PM »

here's the top i made yesterday.  there is more information HERE.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 08:52:07 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs Rabbit
One stitch at a time!

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2006 03:32:01 PM »

Been loving everyone's pictures, really inspiring.  Had a flash yesterday afternoon (no, wasn't painful), and figured that I can make Infinity Trousers!  I have a nice pattern for soft knit trousers, and can easily attach the top to them.  That's a definite go-er for me!  Mind you - as it's winter in Oz, it won't be happening for some time (huge rains last night).  My daughter (11) is hanging out for one of these dresses - same deal, not until summer (she'd wear it all winter otherwise!).  Thanks everyone, and Rostitchery for your expertise and support.  J Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2006 04:23:40 PM »

mrs_rabbit, a version of "infinity trousers" has already been done.  Smiley  dos de tejas pattern company made them, or at least made the pattern for them.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040213023721/www.denverfabrics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PC8014&Category_Code=PC&Product_Count=39

so while it is not a new idea, it is certainly workable, although i can't see how they'd be as flexible as the dress, since you wouldn't be able to pull them up to empire height.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shleybee

you're beautiful the way you are.

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2006 07:05:49 PM »

i made one i made one i made one!!!!
thank you sooo much rostitchery for this amazing tutorial. i've never sewn a dress before in my LIFE and this was so easy and came out SO well.
i used black for the bottom part and blue for the top part however because i did not have enough black. the skirt waistband came out wayyyy to big so it sits at the waist, and i still have to take it in a bit more  Undecided butttt i think it came out pretty well anyway  Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin

**PS!! i know that i would NEVER wear this without a bra. however i recently bought these cup-like things that kind of just stick there. and then there's a clip in the middle so that they clip together. so there's no back, and theyre skin colored. they're really awesome  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006 07:23:22 PM by shleybee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

get up, shake it off, and get on with it!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dinner Delights: White Chocolate and Mint Mousse
Blueberry-Lemon Pancakes Recipe
Pancakes 3 Ways: Banana Walnut, Chocolate Chip, and Blueberry Ricotta
Puff Pastry Tarts with Whipped Cream and Fresh Berries
Grilled Chocolate Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...