A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
738 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 742664 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_dress , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

huongandmatthew
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2006 12:53:57 AM »

I love you rostitchery!  This was the least stressful thing I have ever made.  Plus I have more confidence with stretchy fabrics now.

I tweaked mine a bit because I didn't have enough fabric for a circle skirt.  I gathered a rectangle for the skirt part but forgot to make it smaller than my waist because duh, stretchy fabric.  So the dress sorta droops in the back but it kinda turned out okay.  And I had the skirt on wrong side out, but the hem rolls so it kinda looks like a cool detail.  Happy accidents!  I also gathered the top strips because gathering is fun.

Sorry for the shirt underneath, I was soo excited I wanted to try the dress on right away.

I didn't make my straps long enough so my infinity dress is very limited. Tee hee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moek
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2006 01:22:39 AM »

I finally had the time to redo my band so that there is now an elastic in it! Smiley
Everyone's looks so pretty and now that i've made one i really want to make one in a patterned fabric (back to dressew!) I'll be sure to put up pictures tomorrow when I have time!

AAA i'm so excited to make another one already! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

setting up shop...
http://troupe.etsy.com

just started a wist too...
http://www.wists.com/moka
huongandmatthew
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2006 01:53:39 AM »

hmmm.... elastic bands eh??  I kinda like mine droopy.  It looks uber sexy/slutty in the back, you know, for those sexy/slutty moments.  I've had soo much fun playing around in my dress.  I've already found a way to make it into an Egyptian costume for halloween.  I'm definitely going to make another one that isn't so... slutty.  But in what color???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs Rabbit
One stitch at a time!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2006 04:49:50 AM »

I'm going to make one of these (but it's a bit cold here at present - being winter and all) for both myself and my 11 year old daughter.  Do you think it is overkill to cut the straps double, stitch and turn through?  Was trying to think about coverage and cutting down on hems.  Both prudish and slack all at the same time.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norahkate
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2006 06:23:43 AM »

I made my mom one in a dark brown/almost bronze colored fabric.  The skirt is floor length and it's much dressier looking, so i doubled the straps to keep it more finished looking.  it turned out great and wasn't a lot more work.   Smiley   i'll post pictures when i get one of her.  the skirt is way too much on me, but she's a lot smaller and it looks great.
warning though:  never hem a floor-length circle skirt.  it takes about 2 million years (that's not exact, just an estimate!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for baby food jars (or other small jars with lids)
autopilotstar
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2006 06:41:39 AM »

Mrs Rabbit:  I think doubling the straps stitching and turning through is a great idea!  It'd make it more finished looking and depending on your fabric you might have to do that or make hems.  Luckily my fabric doesn't seem to fray (I guess because it's some sort of knit) so I didn't hem the straps or the bottom.  Also, that's a good idea for if you're using a fabric which clearly has a right and wrong side, because the straps get all twisted around when you're tying it, and I don't think it would look right if you could see the 'wrong' side.  So the conclusion of this long reply is that it is an excellent idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2006 07:22:39 AM »

yes, double the straps, and then you also have a place where you can sew in bra cups (i did this on a tester for a friend who will NOT go braless, and it worked great).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
a_heart_apart
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2006 08:38:15 AM »

This idea makes beginner sewers like me look like a PRO, and now I finally have something to wear for my cousin's wedding! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Smiley Pictures soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissCherry
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2006 12:51:00 PM »

I too wondered if doubling the straps would make any unwanted issues..
I went ahead and made mine.. I used cheaper ravelly fabric so I stitched and turned the straps, And the bottom is a simple hem. The straps work great for me, And provide a little coverage in the front, Ie.. if it's cold out!
I acidently cut the fabric on the wrong fold while making a circle skirt and got on huge piece with two holes, So I imporvised and used a rectangle skirt. It looks okay, I'll make sure to post some pictures tonight.
I am a little dissapointed because the full round skirt is what I love about this dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tailypo
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2006 02:03:38 PM »

I made one too. That was fun!
However, I am apparently not clever enough to add an image to this post, so you will have to follow this link to see it:
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/uploads/20395/easydress.jpg

did that work?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011 05:53:48 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a 15-Minute Egg Drop Soup
How to Make Steamed Pork Buns
How to Make Shrimp and Tofu Pad Thai
How to Cook a Healthy Beef-Broccoli Stir-Fry
Light Szechuan Pork Stir Fry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...