A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 675073 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_dress , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #990 on: July 31, 2007 05:23:10 PM »

I just noticed that the most recent article on the Patterns From The Past blog features infinity dresses.  Thought I'd post a link in case any of you are interested http://oldpatterns.blogspot.com/2007/06/70s-easy-to-wear-clothing.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
honeyb1
« Reply #991 on: July 31, 2007 07:54:14 PM »

Hi:

I'm new to this.  I've read through all 99 pages, and have just loved all the gorgeous dresses!  I bought some stretchy, sort of shiny grey jersey-like material, but seems to be thin.  I got it at a thrift store for $3.00 for 3.5 yds-45" wide.   
 I have a couple of questions.  If I make the tube top, do I sew it to the waistband, and it comes up over my bust?  Would I have to put a waistband on then?  I do need something to cover my boobs, and also some support.!
I also noticed on the Infinity dress site, that it seems to be one piece from hem to top--with straps at the top of the bust, and wide at the top, but tapers as they get to the ends.  Has anyone tried to make this style?  It looks simple enough--maybe would require a seam down the back.

Also, I read back in July/06 that Rostitchery was going to put up another tutorial--but I haven't been able to find one.  Has she done it, and maybe on another section?

Thanks for all the great info.  Hope someone can clarify these things for me.

Happy sewing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #992 on: July 31, 2007 07:57:31 PM »

Thanks, Vicki,
For those of us who have been eating and breathing this thread for over a year now, it seems hard to imagine that anyone in the world (who sews) can have possibly been unaware of it, especially after A Dress a Day featured it.  I still enjoy seeing the new incarnations, and LOVE seeing new people discover how easy it is to make.

Must be time to clean out my stash and make another one!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: July 31, 2007 08:57:56 PM »

... I read back in July/06 that Rostitchery was going to put up another tutorial--but I haven't been able to find one.  Has she done it, and maybe on another section?
Rostichery posted a tutorial for the one seam convertible dress on her site.

Is that what you were looking for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jessiac_3

But you're better than normal, you're abnormal!

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 01, 2007 01:26:09 AM »

Wow Rostichery...this has been up over a year, and is nearly 100 pages!  I bet when you posted this you had no idea it would be such a big hit!

A million thanks though, for introducing (and "tuting") this to us!

I still have three of them that I need to make (black, purple, white)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when you realize life's a b!tch, she has puppies.  - Anonymous
McJulie-O
« Reply #995 on: August 01, 2007 06:27:03 AM »

I have a couple of questions.  If I make the tube top, do I sew it to the waistband, and it comes up over my bust?  Would I have to put a waistband on then?  I do need something to cover my boobs, and also some support.!

I also noticed on the Infinity dress site, that it seems to be one piece from hem to top--with straps at the top of the bust, and wide at the top, but tapers as they get to the ends.  Has anyone tried to make this style?  It looks simple enough--maybe would require a seam down the back.

Honeyb1:
I think the attachment of the bandeau/tube top is a personal preference, maybe determined by how much fabric you have, (I attached mine almost as a very wide waistband) although if your material is stretchy enough you might keep it separate from the dress itself and fashion it as a sports bra, for extra bosom support.

The Lydia Silvestry Infinity dress (which inspired this original thread, and which, in contrast, has one VERTICAL seam) is another whole ball of wax. Its straps are very long and tapering and there's a whole thread dedicated to it on Craftster as well. I'll see if I can find it for you....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #996 on: August 01, 2007 06:36:08 AM »

Honeyb1:
I think the attachment of the bandeau/tube top is a personal preference, maybe determined by how much fabric you have, (I attached mine almost as a very wide waistband) although if your material is stretchy enough you might keep it separate from the dress itself and fashion it as a sports bra, for extra bosom support.

The Lydia Silvestry Infinity dress (which inspired this original thread, and which, in contrast, has one VERTICAL seam) is another whole ball of wax. Its straps are very long and tapering and there's a whole thread dedicated to it on Craftster as well. I'll see if I can find it for you....

Here are a couple that might help: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=102791.0 and
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=125890.0 but some of the picture links no longer work...sorry!  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeyb1
« Reply #997 on: August 02, 2007 01:32:34 PM »

Thanks pfirsch & Mcjulio for the replies.  I looked at the sites you mentioned, and found out lots re the infinity dress.  I think I'll try that one out of some sea green stretch material I got at WalMart for $1 per yd, & I'll make the one with the skirt out of the grey.  I'll try to post pictures when I'm done. 
Thanks so much for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alohamom2three
I really should be sleeping...

Wow...can't believe I won something!

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 03, 2007 08:55:25 PM »

Well, I said back on page sixty something (or was it seventy something?) that I would probably find time to make on somewhere around page one hundred...ta da.

I actually made two!  The first one was for myself for my birthday party.  It's a beautiful spice orange color but...tried to do it with just a straight stitch which took all the stretch out of the waistband...but you all knew that would happen...I wore it anyway and retied it three times during the party...EVERYONE loved it!!!
Of course I don't have any pictures of that one...I promise the next time I wear it I will get a pic!

The second one I made for a friend....I broke out my brand new serger for her...worked much better and I am in LOVE with serging.  She was sure she couldn't wear a dress with no bra but she did and she wore it to an awards ceremony and everyone there loved it too.  I love this color on her and she never would have picked purple.
Oh...I had to add an elastic to her waistband and I swear I cut the littlest waist...oh well...still looks awesome!
I've had so much fun reading every single post and I am so excited that I got to do this!!!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 08:50:35 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always doing what I don't know how to do, in order to learn how to do it. -Vincent Van Gogh
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 03, 2007 09:11:03 PM »

That's very pretty the way you wrapped it! Love that color purple too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blow Dry Bangs
How to Create Tight Curls With a Hair Straightener
How to Get Wavy Hair with a Curling Iron
How to Curl Hair with Hair Straightener Iron
How to Add Volume and Bounce to Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...