A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 685890 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_dress , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sanjaa
« Reply #660 on: November 07, 2006 09:24:52 AM »

Another question: I want to use stretchy material for my dress, but which material do you recommend? Something that hopefully won't fray at the ends, or roll up.  Surprisingly enough, finding the righ matterial is the hardest part for me.  Not a great selection here in Canada, Ontario (if you know otherwise, please say so).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyandpetite

I always run with scissors.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #661 on: November 07, 2006 09:31:53 AM »

My straps were just played by ear, on the turquoise one *goes to measure* they are 71 inches long. On the black one, I had to sew an extra bit of length on because they were too short.

I used a jersey knit fabric for the white one, and that's ok but I dont really like the edges raw (they go a bit fluffy..it's weird) but I'm too lazy to do anything about it, even though I have an overlocker. The other ones were made from a more lycra fabric that does roll up at the edges, but I like that because it covers dodgy cutting. They don't roll up too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahpanda
« Reply #662 on: November 07, 2006 10:04:50 AM »

PrettyandPetite: Good work, those are beautiful. I think it's funny that you're making the exact same face in every picture.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.com
gmail chat: sarahpanda
Born2bWild
« Reply #663 on: November 07, 2006 10:36:08 AM »

Those look great on you. I'm so jealous of everyone's infinity dresses. I want to make a dress and a top but my sewing machine's broke and I've been so busy working I haven't taken it to get it fixed. I'm this ( ) close to hand sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RubyTuesday
« Reply #664 on: November 07, 2006 11:12:23 AM »

...And I Love purple, but didn't have enough material for a full dress, so made this top (and love it):
http://myspace-284.vo.llnwd.net/01359/48/23/1359413284_m.jpg

where do i find the pattern for the top? -I love it! Grin
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008 12:31:14 PM by kategirl - Reason: Please remove the [img] tag when quoting pictures. Thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

prettyandpetite

I always run with scissors.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: November 07, 2006 11:24:03 AM »

The top is just the same top part, but a boob-tube thing sewn to the straps, one that fits over your hips :-) I'm not very good at explaining stuff, sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vaurienne
« Reply #666 on: November 07, 2006 01:47:31 PM »

I've read a few posts and threads without registering, but then I never actually got around to making anything before now, so I didn't really have any reason to.  However, this dress ended up being almost exactly what I was looking for.  So, of course, I had to make one!

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vi_co_1/detail?.dir=890bre2&.dnm=3ce6re2.jpg&.src=ph

Since it's fall and thus getting cold, I decided to go with the long-sleeved shirt underneath as a more appropriate winter look.  When I was fitting this for the first time (or rather checking to make sure that I had pinned the waistband to about the right length since fitting isn't really an issue) I had a heavy turtleneck knit sweater on underneath and even with that this dress was still very flattering.  Yay!

This makes university student me very happy because I now have a dress with about a million looks for a total cost of about $10 and the three hours of sewing that it took me.  (Yes, that's a long time for this dress, but I also don't have a sewing machine and did all the work by hand, including the French seams on the pieced straps.)

Anyway, many thanks to everyone for this wonderful dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peariso
« Reply #667 on: November 07, 2006 02:03:17 PM »

Welcome vaurienne!

I love the look of the shirt underneath.  Great job doing all of that by hand! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all easier to stalk me by   http://www.wists.com/Peariso
Smashtastically
« Reply #668 on: November 08, 2006 08:48:58 AM »

This is so flippin cool!! Great job...when I have some spare time I think I will attempt to make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Audeo.
caradee
« Reply #669 on: November 08, 2006 09:15:48 AM »

hurrah!  I've finished mine.  Now, I'd like to master tying it with the back covered, and I may narrow the ties.
mine is A-line skirt, 4 way (super slinky) stretch fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing. felting. dyeing. hot glue bandit.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Make a Vidalia Onion and Applewood Bacon Vinaigrette
Learn how to Finish a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Learn how to Make the Base for a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Learn how to Make a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Making White Cheddar Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...