A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 715868 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_dress , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ladyofthelake

Charley the Scrap Eater

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2006 01:38:14 PM »

OK, after reading this thread, the other thread, the blog...

I totally know what I'm doing now.

If only I can find polka dot fabric...

The red in the middle is a separate long tube top in a matching fabric. This is just one way to combine the 2 - also, you can put the tube top on under, pulled up high in back to cover a bra. Wear the dress as a wrappy skirt, with just the tube top. Or wear the tube top with one of the wraps that covers the shoulder but exposes that mid back - with the tube top under it, then only that fabric is peeking out. Or scrunch the tube top just around the boobs, so that when you want to nurse in this dress, you push aside a front layer and pull the tube top up - that way the top and sides of the boobs are still covered while nursing!

I suppose you could do it in the same fabric, as well - I just liked the idea of contrast.

Now to find some slinky polka-dotted fabric...

I totally love that! The separate tube top is brilliant, and contrasting fabric is a great idea. Must ... get ... more ... fabric ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If at first you don't succeed, go buy more fabric.
peariso
« Reply #331 on: July 26, 2006 01:43:19 PM »

That would have been so handy the other day!   A separate tube top! brilliant.

I need to post my pictures but let me tell you a made a wave at work yesterday when I wore my dress. Everyone wants one now!  I'm planning on making a couple for a preggers co-worker who is in those inbetween stages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all easier to stalk me by   http://www.wists.com/Peariso
osewcute

Sing, Dance and wear red lipsitck.

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 26, 2006 01:57:44 PM »

very good idea to use the tube top..... The red polka dots remind me of the dress from the movie Pretty Woman. (I think her dots were brown though)  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jailin
Jailin.etsy.com

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 26, 2006 02:06:41 PM »

It's a sad day when you mess up something titled "quickie dress that anybody can make" Sad  I attempted it this morning and cutting the circle skirt just did not work out.  I've made circle skirts but its been a while.  I messed up a really nice fabric trying this too Sad  It's like a burnt orange rust color and now it's just scrap fabric due to the humongous hole from my attempt.  I've wanted the monif c dress forever but cant afford it, but i may just have to save since my attempts have gone horribly wrong Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jailin <3
mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 26, 2006 02:06:41 PM »

OK, after reading this thread, the other thread, the blog...

I totally know what I'm doing now.

If only I can find polka dot fabric...

The red in the middle is a separate long tube top in a matching fabric. This is just one way to combine the 2 - also, you can put the tube top on under, pulled up high in back to cover a bra. Wear the dress as a wrappy skirt, with just the tube top. Or wear the tube top with one of the wraps that covers the shoulder but exposes that mid back - with the tube top under it, then only that fabric is peeking out. Or scrunch the tube top just around the boobs, so that when you want to nurse in this dress, you push aside a front layer and pull the tube top up - that way the top and sides of the boobs are still covered while nursing!

I suppose you could do it in the same fabric, as well - I just liked the idea of contrast.

Now to find some slinky polka-dotted fabric...
That idea is amazing! Love it. Love it. Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
osewcute

Sing, Dance and wear red lipsitck.

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 26, 2006 02:19:19 PM »

It's a sad day when you mess up something titled "quickie dress that anybody can make" Sad  I attempted it this morning and cutting the circle skirt just did not work out.  I've made circle skirts but its been a while.  I messed up a really nice fabric trying this too Sad  It's like a burnt orange rust color and now it's just scrap fabric due to the humongous hole from my attempt.  I've wanted the monif c dress forever but cant afford it, but i may just have to save since my attempts have gone horribly wrong Undecided

What if you make the skirt part very short and use it as a top. It would have a little ruffle around the waist and you could salvage your fabric? Just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elfin enigma
« Reply #336 on: July 26, 2006 02:35:31 PM »

ahhhhh, a separate tube...  mine's attached and isn't quite meeting my needs.  maybe i'll cut that off and make a new one from the leftover fabric.  i was also thinking of making a pair of teeny cute shorts in the same fabric, to wear with, since it's so twirly and possibly underwear-exposing.  maybe... 

my circle hole was definitely bigger than it needed to be, not way too huge but i guess the stretch of the fabric changes things a bit.  maybe you could salvage it with some elastic?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladyofthelake

Charley the Scrap Eater

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 26, 2006 03:32:22 PM »

When I cut the circle skirt, I did it in quarters (folded the fabric twice), and cut a very small arc (quarter of the circle) in the top corner. It was too small, so I just kept cutting about a quarter inch more at a time till it was about right when stretched. That worked for me. I bought elastic to prepare for problems, but I didn't end up needing it. There is an excellent tutorial for making circle skirts on here ... somewhere. Just start small with the circle for the waist ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If at first you don't succeed, go buy more fabric.
McJulie-O
« Reply #338 on: July 26, 2006 03:57:31 PM »

When I cut the circle skirt, I did it in quarters (folded the fabric twice), and cut a very small arc (quarter of the circle) in the top corner. It was too small, so I just kept cutting about a quarter inch more at a time till it was about right when stretched. That worked for me. I bought elastic to prepare for problems, but I didn't end up needing it. There is an excellent tutorial for making circle skirts on here ... somewhere. Just start small with the circle for the waist ...

That's a very good idea. I just cut mine out of a peculiarly kinda pleated very stretchy fabric of unknown content ($1/yd at Walmart which will be my "muslin" version)

Somehow, I had the idea that the waist arc radius should be about 1/3 of your waist measurement (circ=pi x 2r, right? with pi= approx. 3), but I figured, as stretchy as this stuff is, I'd cut it about 2" smaller than that. Well I forgot the 2 in the equation and wound up with half a skirt cut out (wasn't wide enough to cut the full circle so I cut a half at a time) with the full waist measurement already cut out of it....... With a seam, it's going to be a perfect A-line! Which I will like even better than the full circle, I think!

The waist debacle might've been avoided if I'd followed your method though.

Must go finish, and take pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss American Pie
« Reply #339 on: July 26, 2006 05:44:50 PM »

Somebody asked about a way to tie the dress so that it doesn't slip? If you're dress is slipping and stuff you could try using a pretty pin or broach to pin keep it in place. I haven't had any problems with being exposed, but I have had issues with tan lines showing (which bugs me), so I just use a pretty pin to keep everything in place. I also use the pin sometimes instead of tying the straps in a knot at the end just for a more elegant look. Not that I have any occasion to be elegant... haha, still, it looks pretty and it stays in place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
She Crab Soup Recipe
Bacon Explosion Recipe
Spiced Nuts
Macaroni and Cheese
How to Cook a Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...