A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 680588 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_dress , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #320 on: July 25, 2006 04:39:05 PM »

Here's mine
Finding the fabric took 5 stores because none of them carried knits. I finally found a grey stretch fabric for only 2 dollars a yard. The cutting was actually easier than I though but sewing it was a pain because the fabric kept stretching. But it looks fantastic right now. I can't wait to make another one.

I dig your jagged hem...I wanted to do this on mine, but the fabric wasn't right for it.  OH WELL, I guess I'll have to make another one!   Wink

How thick is this fabric?  Mine was 100% polyester, and pretty opaque (didn't even need a slip in the sunshine)...I wonder if the thinner fabric (although harder to sew, it seems) is the reason you get a skinnier/more elegant tie?  Any thoughts on this anyone?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006 08:13:18 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LuNaGirl
FATED...or faded?

rock your soul

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 25, 2006 05:48:53 PM »

Thanks so much Rostitchery! This is amazing!
 I love this dress because it's so wearable!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007 09:18:48 AM by LuNaGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

there\'s no place like craftster...<br /><br />FIND YOUR STAGE
Charisma
« Reply #322 on: July 25, 2006 07:14:51 PM »

Here's mine
Finding the fabric took 5 stores because none of them carried knits. I finally found a grey stretch fabric for only 2 dollars a yard. The cutting was actually easier than I though but sewing it was a pain because the fabric kept stretching. But it looks fantastic right now. I can't wait to make another one.
I dig your jagged hem...I wanted to do this on mine, but the fabric wasn't right for it.  OH WELL, I guess I'll have to make another one!   Wink

How thick is this fabric?  Mine was 100% polyester, and pretty opaque (didn't even need a slip in the sunshine)...I wonder if the thinner fabric (although harder to sew, it seems) is the reason you get a skinnier/more elegant tie?  Any thoughts on this anyone?
It's much thinner than swimsuit weight fabric, but not as thin as the swimsuit lining fabric probably somewhere between the two. Mine's opaque too, but even though I did two layers on the top part of the strap, it still would have needed a bra, although, I'm pretty small and the dress is tight enough, so the cups from a swimsuit can be slipped in for modesty and still stay put without sewing them in. I think the reason my tie is skinnier is because my straps themselves are thinner, also I tapered the ends of the ties.
The jagged hem is actually much easier because it's just a square.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006 08:11:39 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
timarie
« Reply #323 on: July 25, 2006 07:31:27 PM »

Luna, I love the color! Did you use a thick elastic band for the waist? I can't see too well. I had made mine much higher waisted but I'd love to have another that sits low on the waist like that.

Did you find you had to make the straps much wider because of the placement of the waist?

It looks soooo great on you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliciarae
« Reply #324 on: July 25, 2006 07:41:02 PM »

Here is my dress.  I love it!  I didn't have too much fabric and I kinda cut it wrong, so I made slimmer skirt instead.  I really like it though,  it's a nice light fabric for summer.  I bought three yards of black knit fabric yesterday to make another one!  I have a question though.  In the tutorial, it seems like you sew the waistband so that you actually only see it in the back.  Is this how everyone did it, or did you sew the waistband in two places?  Mine came out a little funky where the waistband is in the front, so I was wondering how to fix this.  Also, how long did people make their waistband?
http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/42784c47zf349e489/91a0scd/__sr_/d06escd.jpg?ph4ttxEBp4hZldRG

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/42784c47zf349e489/91a0scd/__sr_/a28bscd.jpg?ph4ttxEBU3t6FQck

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/42784c47zf349e489/91a0scd/__sr_/8016scd.jpg?ph4ttxEBSyOG_FDk

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/42784c47zf349e489/91a0scd/__sr_/409dscd.jpg?ph4ttxEBnSGX0t0Y

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/42784c47zf349e489/91a0scd/__sr_/d150scd.jpg?ph4ttxEBmp16GRbM
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011 06:16:13 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuNaGirl
FATED...or faded?

rock your soul

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 25, 2006 08:32:21 PM »

timarie, thanks so much! i had some old shorts from when i was little so i took off the elastic waistband and slipped it inside the fabric waistband, sewed buttons on the sides of my waist, and voila! i got a better fit for the waist b/c when i cut out the hole in my skirt, it strecthed out a lot...
 Wink i made the straps as wide as i could because i wanted coverage, and it makes it a lot easier to wrap around if you want a short sleeve.
thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there\'s no place like craftster...<br /><br />FIND YOUR STAGE
rika
« Reply #326 on: July 25, 2006 09:13:54 PM »

FINISHED!

http://creativewinka.livejournal.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

im new... be nice!
rika
« Reply #327 on: July 25, 2006 09:16:10 PM »

Here's mine
how did you make the skirt?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006 07:30:42 AM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

im new... be nice!
k8kre8s
hand-made, not slave-made

power to the cats

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #328 on: July 25, 2006 09:54:15 PM »

rika, your skin and that fabric are my favorite colour combo of all time. mmmmm. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhondalicious

Oh la I have nothing to say...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: July 26, 2006 01:22:18 PM »

OK, after reading this thread, the other thread, the blog...

I totally know what I'm doing now.

If only I can find polka dot fabric...

The red in the middle is a separate long tube top in a matching fabric. This is just one way to combine the 2 - also, you can put the tube top on under, pulled up high in back to cover a bra. Wear the dress as a wrappy skirt, with just the tube top. Or wear the tube top with one of the wraps that covers the shoulder but exposes that mid back - with the tube top under it, then only that fabric is peeking out. Or scrunch the tube top just around the boobs, so that when you want to nurse in this dress, you push aside a front layer and pull the tube top up - that way the top and sides of the boobs are still covered while nursing!

I suppose you could do it in the same fabric, as well - I just liked the idea of contrast.

Now to find some slinky polka-dotted fabric...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Viewing Files in Bridge
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Introducing Navigation and Adobe Bridge
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using the Navigator Palette
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Scrolling the Page and Changing View Size
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using the Zoom Tool
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...