A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 686070 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_dress , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

buzybeebee24
« Reply #290 on: July 21, 2006 11:05:30 AM »

I adore this dress!! I have never sewn anything in my life but I went out and bought the fabric for it.It's a beautiful pink jersey knit, just like tee-shirt material. I do have a few questions though. First off I noticed that some people were having problems with the circle skirt being too big. It was suggested to use a smaller measurement then you're actual. I was just wondering how much smaller? And where did most people take their measurement from? The waist, hips, or underbust? I also noticed that a lot of people didn't like how the back sometimes looks. I also don't like the peek-a-boo affect of the wrapping. I thought that sewing on a rectangular flap that you could pull up to fit under the straps that wrap around the back and that could also just tuck inside the skirt when not in use. That might work. If I'm not clear on how that would work just let me know and I'll try and do a drawing of it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladyofthelake

Charley the Scrap Eater

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 21, 2006 01:06:38 PM »

I adore this dress!! I have never sewn anything in my life but I went out and bought the fabric for it.It's a beautiful pink jersey knit, just like tee-shirt material. I do have a few questions though. First off I noticed that some people were having problems with the circle skirt being too big. It was suggested to use a smaller measurement then you're actual. I was just wondering how much smaller? And where did most people take their measurement from? The waist, hips, or underbust? I also noticed that a lot of people didn't like how the back sometimes looks. I also don't like the peek-a-boo affect of the wrapping. I thought that sewing on a rectangular flap that you could pull up to fit under the straps that wrap around the back and that could also just tuck inside the skirt when not in use. That might work. If I'm not clear on how that would work just let me know and I'll try and do a drawing of it.

I was thinking about that. I was considering making a tube top to sew onto it that could be used when needed, then tucked in (and actually working to suck you in at certain parts!) when you don't need it. That way a bra could pretty much always be worn without peeking out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If at first you don't succeed, go buy more fabric.
osewcute

Sing, Dance and wear red lipsitck.

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 21, 2006 01:24:21 PM »

Ambear mentioned this thread to me, and so I finally had a little time to myself to investigate. It's astonishing how inspiring it is. Kudos to you, rostitchery, for drawing our attention to this, and making it so available for us.

My mum had a lovely dress in the 70s that the infinity dress reminded me of. I agree with a few of the comments previously posted: the front is constantly astonishing, but the back sometimes leaves something to be desired. So, i said to myself, why not just choose my favourite look of the bunch (the one reminiscent of my mum's dress, with the cap sleeves) and finish it formally in the back? Unfortunately, this definitely reduces it from an infinite possibility of approaches to just a few, but I'm still hip to that. I decided to go slim on the skirt, so it sits somewhere between a-line and pencil. You can't see it, but it sits just past the knee.

Here are a couple of poor shots. Sorry, my main man isn't exactly the best photographer.

somehow, it came out looking pretty ritzy... i could comfortably wear it to a wedding, or celebration! Unfortunately, I really was intending it for daily usage. Anyone have any ideas on how to make it a little more casual? I was thinking about adding a skirt pocket, but I think it would look awkward. I might screenprint onto it.

How did you make your skirt? I like the slim look.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006 09:20:18 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiebird
« Reply #293 on: July 21, 2006 02:09:05 PM »

I was thinking about that. I was considering making a tube top to sew onto it that could be used when needed, then tucked in (and actually working to suck you in at certain parts!) when you don't need it. That way a bra could pretty much always be worn without peeking out.

I did make a tube top to wear with mine; I just used the same fabric as the dress and sewed a matching tube-top to wear under the dress for more coverage if/when I felt like it.   

Unfortunately, the tube top is the onlyl part I like!  This dress just didn't work for me at all; the fabric I chose was waaaaaay too stretchy, my straps weren't wide enough (so I would definately have needed that tube top!) and no long enough so I am limited in options to tie it. I'll never wear it, which makes me sad as all of yours turned out so beautifully.  I'll try again some day....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jessiesmess
« Reply #294 on: July 21, 2006 02:22:10 PM »

Mine has a wider waistband that I put right under my boobs and I can wear a strapless. The dress came out perfect. From my trip to the bathroom then to my desk, I got stopped three times!!

Keep at it and find what works for you. My first two were a flop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap and Clothes from my overpriced apartment in Queens
www.bejessie.com
www.bejessie.etsy.com
bloggie www.mybrainpurge.blogspot.com
Proud member of the New York City Craft Mafia
www.newyorkcitycraftmafia.com
myspace
http://www.myspace.com/bejessie
katiebird
« Reply #295 on: July 21, 2006 02:54:58 PM »

Jessiesmess, thanks for the encouragement.  It's pretty sad when you fail at the "quickie dress that anybody can make"! ha!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #296 on: July 21, 2006 03:08:39 PM »

Jessiesmess, thanks for the encouragement.  It's pretty sad when you fail at the "quickie dress that anybody can make"! ha!  Tongue

Katie,  I haven't even cut mine out yet, so you're way ahead of me!!

I was just wondering if you could splice an extra piece of fabric (in a complementary color, maybe?) on the ends of your ties to give you the length that you need........ it's supposed to be a fun dress so anything goes, right?Huh  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 21, 2006 03:34:39 PM »

girls, go read thru the original thread in the designer homage section--i posted screenshots of this design from the 70's that has a tube top instead of the surplice, the ends are free at the center back and the skirt is so slim that there is a zipper in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
tickleagangster
« Reply #298 on: July 21, 2006 10:17:36 PM »

Here is my version in a vintage black and white polyester. I didn't have to hem anything and I really like the way the pattern looks on this style dress! So what do you think???

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011 05:58:54 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say hello to my lil' friend!
tickleagangster
« Reply #299 on: July 21, 2006 10:21:45 PM »

Here's a close up of the fabric if this works,
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011 05:59:18 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say hello to my lil' friend!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chicken and Mushroom Strudel on Baby Spinach Recipe
How to Cook Tilapia
How to Make Southwest Sauce
How to Use a Smoker Box
How to Cook Pork Ribs
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...