A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,803
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 665492 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

prawninator

Geekologist-in-Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1390 on: December 07, 2009 08:59:18 AM »

OMIGOSH! That is sooooo cute! Cheesy

Gah, I really don't trust my sewing skills period. I tried to sew a test piece of cloth earlier and totally failed. Maybe I'll stick to painting.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You gotta love dice. You really can NEVER have enough. MyGeekBoutique
KiwiDoll
« Reply #1391 on: March 07, 2010 02:50:40 PM »

I, like a few others on this forum signed up just for this topic (although there is so much I love about Craftster) I live in New Zealand and recently saw an infomercial for a similar dress called "Sarah" and being a competant sewer I knew that I could make one way cheaper than what they were asking (I think about $300 NZD)

I have loads of fabric that I can use, now just have to decide what to use.... decisions decisions!

I will definitely post up photos when I've finished.

Just want to say thanks to Rostitchery for the tute and photos and to everyone who has done this and posted pics, was great to look through!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alice11D7
« Reply #1392 on: March 18, 2010 03:34:20 PM »

I cannot express how happy I am that this post exists. I have just started on 5 copies of this dress for 5 very differently shaped bridesmaids for my wedding. I made a preliminary dress for my very pregnant sister, and she adores it. This dress is a blast to make, and my girls are loving the options they have with the styles. Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So it goes.
maxsmistress
« Reply #1393 on: April 13, 2010 09:29:29 AM »

How do you cut the skirt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TallerThanThou
« Reply #1394 on: April 23, 2010 09:11:10 PM »

This is a great tutorial! A huge thank you to Rostitchery for posting it for everyone to enjoy. I'm new at sewing and I decided to make this my first big project. I stumbled a few times along the way, but I made it and I now have a dress that I love. I just wish the weather here in Vancouver, BC would get warmer faster so that I could actually wear it Tongue I actually made it for my upcoming trip to East Africa in May. It's the perfect travel dress.Again, a big thank you again to Rowena.

Here's how I made my dress:
http://tallerthanthou.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/convertible-dress/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ekioart
Queen of Procrastination

Working on it....No Really, I am......sorta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1395 on: June 08, 2010 02:23:16 PM »

I remember finding this post a while back and meaning to make this dress, but I just never did. *Smacks forhead* I don't know why! It's so simple and so awesome.

So I tried it out today. I've got a wedding to attend and then then a 4 hour drive (no changing time) to make it to a class reunion for my hubby. So I needed something that will hold up to a 4 hour drive without becoming a wrinkled mess and without me having to possibly flash a fellow traveler on the road by changing while Hubb drives like a bat outta you know where. ^-~

first thing that came to mind, Infinity dress!!! And I've even got some jersey.
I wanted to test it first though as I sometimes read directions and get an idea in my head that has no way of working like the pattern says to. Plus I've never cut a circle skirt and my math sucks! So I grabbed a sheet that was headed for the camping supplies. (it got some holes in it from a cute little pup who thought it was a chew toy...)
And voila!

Excuse the mess in the back ground and the dusty mirror....I've been in cleaning out mode

It's hard to see but there is a little gold detail on each of the straps from the edge of the sheet which turned out cute. I also made the waistband rather large as my skirt I feared would be too short.

Thank you so much for the tutorial!!! This dress style is my new fav and I've already sent my sis this way as she's looking into what to have her bridesmaids wear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm bringing sexy back, I think I dropped it somewhere between the donut shop and the Cheesecake Factory.

My etsy shop
http://Ekioart.etsy.com
My Wists!
http://www.wists.com/Ekioart
I blather on about stuff here.
http://ekioart.blogspot.com/
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1396 on: June 19, 2010 09:57:27 AM »

So I will admit I have not read through the entire thread (at times I have read large chunks, and have tried searching without much luck), and after 2 years of debating I finally made an infinity dress. 

Now here's my problem, being the klutz that I am, I can not tie it so that it stays on, looks decent, and covers essential to be covered body parts.  Can anyone offer (or point to) tips for tying my awesome new dress. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Ekioart
Queen of Procrastination

Working on it....No Really, I am......sorta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1397 on: June 19, 2010 10:02:29 PM »

Best tip I can give is to keep playing with it.
After I finally made it out of the correct material (ie: not a sheet, lol) I realized when puttingit on....I had no idea exactly how to tie it. So I started playing with it.
And realized I should have overlapped more in the front....as it could use a bit more coverage in the front....at least for me.

One of my fav ways to tie it so far was to do this.
1. sling straps over shoulders and cross behind your neck. (sort of like a halter dress)
2. bring straps one at a time under your arm and underneath the first part of the straps.
3. cross in front of cleavage (you can spread the strap out around the ....b....for extra support)
4. wrap around your torso.

It ends up giving you a halter dress with a good bit of support in the front. Plus you get a nice criss-cross in the back.

Other than that I was just wrapping and seeing if it held. If it did....I tried to redo it and hoped I didn't totally mess it up, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm bringing sexy back, I think I dropped it somewhere between the donut shop and the Cheesecake Factory.

My etsy shop
http://Ekioart.etsy.com
My Wists!
http://www.wists.com/Ekioart
I blather on about stuff here.
http://ekioart.blogspot.com/
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1398 on: June 23, 2010 10:05:51 AM »

Thanks Ekioart that's really helpful.

I think I need to take some time to play when I'm not trying to get out the door.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
JPea
« Reply #1399 on: June 30, 2010 09:58:38 AM »

I know this hread has been going on forever and there are sooo many infinities on here, but hey, this was how i found Craftster in the first place, so I really should post it... My infinity dress - a whole 7 and so complimented at my cousins wedding.....

Grin
Jpea

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing handmade is ever perfect
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Keep Your Hair Looking Good Between Washes
How to Lighten Your Hair Naturally
How to Make Your Own All Natural Hair Conditioner
How to Prevent Hair Breakage
How to Protect Your Hair from Chlorine and Saltwater
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...