A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
727 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 663438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kell78
« Reply #1380 on: September 10, 2009 01:43:10 AM »

After finding this post nearly a year ago, I finally made one and it is fab. Thankyou to rostitchery for the easy to follow tutorial and thankyou to everyone who has posted pics and info on how they modified it.

I will post pics as soon as I can get someone to take one. I love this dress and it truely does look good on any body type (thats what took me so long to start didn't want to waste the stretch fabric I had just in case it looked bad).

I made mine with a 3/4 circle skirt and an extra wide waist band to cover my bust (I'm so sick of having my bust fall out of everything) It is a fantastic maternity dress and I have just gotten the material to make it as a swimsuit (I'll use a half circle skirt for this) so I'll add pics of both when they are done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spharris
« Reply #1381 on: September 14, 2009 08:56:28 PM »

hi all,
noob here and am dying to make this. i started reading but have many more pages to go!! haha
there is another dress like this that looks like a giant rectangle with  a curved bottom and two longggggggggggggggg gggggggggggg ribbons. it is marketed bu impressions.com.
basically, it looks like a wrap skirt only longer. i the straps here better. off ot read a bit more before i turn in for the night. i am sure there are mods for plus sized girls like me but if not i will figure something out because the dress rocks!!
thanks to all who have put this together and shared. i am looking forward to having fun here.
p.s. i have an old old old machine. will i be able to do this since it is a knit fabric???
too bad those rental stores don't rent sewing machines---
sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Solina
« Reply #1382 on: September 23, 2009 05:18:29 PM »

You have made wonderful job. The black one is my favourite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mivzi
« Reply #1383 on: November 07, 2009 08:46:08 AM »

I'm pretty lost on this, and could use some help. I've seen different posts all saying different amounts of fabric needed. As little as 2 yards, to as much as 11 yards!

I want to make one that's pretty short so I can wear it as a shirt, then try again later if I want a longer one. Would 2 yards work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Musefreak

I belong to you- Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1384 on: November 07, 2009 02:16:18 PM »

I'm pretty lost on this, and could use some help. I've seen different posts all saying different amounts of fabric needed. As little as 2 yards, to as much as 11 yards!

I want to make one that's pretty short so I can wear it as a shirt, then try again later if I want a longer one. Would 2 yards work?

It depends on how long you want it to be- beginning to measure under your bust to the bottom "hem"( where your tops end and you can see the pants/skirt)
AND
it depends on how tall you are- as rostichery said, the lenght of your straps should be about 1 and a half of your height and it also depends on the circle "skirt" which is placed under your bust if you want a babydoll-ish infinity top/dress
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't resist "The Resistance" Cheesy
-
my Wist
-
Blog

interested in personal swaps
pinkpalace
« Reply #1385 on: November 08, 2009 12:42:31 AM »

Quickie help.

I have some material which is 2 way stretch.

I am unsure if the straps should be stretching width or length ways??

anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx
PP
Ashling
« Reply #1386 on: November 08, 2009 06:56:22 AM »

Width ways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkpalace
« Reply #1387 on: November 08, 2009 12:56:04 PM »

thanks hun

i ended up runing out of fabric to make the straps the length i wanted.
as i wanted the first 6-7inch doubled over to make it thicker over the BB's.

i did this first bit length way stretch with the hope i could pull the stretch to keep these BB;s up a little without a bra pmsl!

hopingthis theory works? what do you think?

i am waiting for my overlocker from the shop i ordered b4 i sew. but it is allcut out ready to go woohoo

for those who used an overlocker can you tell me the beststitch to use on the seam and how did you finish off the edges of the straps when it is a single layer? did you fold over and 3/4 stitch or did you do a roll over hem???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx
PP
prawninator

Geekologist-in-Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1388 on: December 06, 2009 05:26:33 PM »

I have been lurking in this thread and obsessing over this dress for AGES! I can't stop /wanting/ to make the dress, the only issue I have is that I have no sewing machine and ZERO knowledge on sewing (with a machine).

What are the chances of my success? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You gotta love dice. You really can NEVER have enough. MyGeekBoutique
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1389 on: December 06, 2009 05:39:54 PM »

prawninator, since there's only one seam, it's actually pretty do-able to hand-sew this without a machine. I loathe sewing by hand with a passion (even buttons) but wanted this dress so badly that I made my first one (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=104089.msg1672400#msg1672400) by hand...it took a while but it was worth it!

sooo...I'd say your chances of success are pretty good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Heather Morris Cover Shoot for Seventeen Magazine
Karolina Kurkova in a Push-Up Bra
Salma Hayek Serves Up Six Sizzling Looks in 24 Hours
Viktor & Rolf Design Modern Bridal Collection
Baseball Fan Fashion: All-Star Style For the MLB or Little-League
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...