A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 678720 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_dress , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aught07wife
« Reply #1350 on: April 29, 2009 12:17:34 PM »

Don't feel bad! It took me a bit to figure it out, too.

I can't post photos yet, but I'll try and walk you thru it.

Lay the skirt down RIGHT SIDE OUT  with the waistband at the top (north) and the bottom hem at South.

Lay the 2 straps, slightly overlapped upside down,  with raw edges along raw edge of waistband.(north) and ends of straps trailing away south. (the 'WRONG SIDE' of the fabric will be showing. PIN

Lay the waistband (folded in half "RIGHT SIDE OF FABRIC showing) with raw edge at North and folded edge at south. In otherwords; also upside down. PIN

All the raw edges will be pinned together along the circle of the skirt waistband.

So; your skirt is right side up and straps (wrong side up) and waistband (folded; so doesn;t matter, but it will be RIGHT SIDE SHOWING) laying upside down along the edge of the waist-line.
IF you have pinned it fairly well; pick it up and test to see if everything is looking 'normal'.
The straps should go OVER the waistband..the waistband being against your body.

Starting from the raw edge inside the skirt waistband; sew!
(use a zig-zag or knit-stitch)

It is better not to cut the waistband to size until you have finished sewing it into the skirt waist.

Hope some of that helped!  Wink

okay, so now i get how to lay them....THANK YOU!  But I still dont understand what the waist band is for?  How can we not cut it to size until after it is sewn?  That is the part confusing me to pieces.  Does it ever show when you are wearing the dress?  What is it for?  Does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 29, 2009 05:40:13 PM »

the waistband creates a finished edge on the part of the skirt that is not covered by the straps and provides a channel into which you can insert elastic if needed.  i don't cut it until i get back to the beginning of the seam because it is simpler than calculating the amount needed based on the stretch of the fabric (because the stretch has to be calculated on percentages).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
Tallyboo
« Reply #1352 on: April 30, 2009 12:07:07 AM »

Now that I've reached the end of this post I have no idea how I got here, but I am so glad I did! I LOVE this dress and after seeing the long graduation gown I have decided to make this for my wedding for myself, my bridesmaid and my flower girl. I'm having a somewhat casual wedding at my grandparent's house and my fiance is wearing nice jeans a button up shirt and a jacket so this will be the perfect choice to fit the vibe and still look pretty. I think I will make the straps as long as the fabric allows and trim if necessary so I can pin a flower to where they tie and let them hang long. I am so excited for this. My wedding isn't until next year but I am going to start practicing by making some pretty summer dresses for this year. Thank you so much for this dress!

Yay first post! Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

My eyes are nothing like the sun.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1353 on: April 30, 2009 02:23:22 AM »

How many yards does this dress take?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 30, 2009 09:32:46 AM »

convertible/infinity dress FAQ's:

http://www.rostitchery.com/convertible-dress-faqs.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
Street Ashes

Can't we all just get along?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1355 on: April 30, 2009 05:35:00 PM »

i have read all 135 pages (at work!) i am itching to sew now! anyone got some knit fabric i can have?  Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princesskill
« Reply #1356 on: May 05, 2009 07:04:51 AM »

so i'm thinking about making this dress in an ivory stretch jersey as my wedding dress! i'm having a casual back yard wedding and really hate traditional wedding dresses, plus they are so expensive.  I could make this dress floor legnth and then after my wedding cut it down and dye it a fun colour.

my questions are: i'm plus size, around 20/22 so would need to do an a-line instead of a circle skirt. how much fabric should i buy? i am a total novice sewer beyond hemming pants and what not. how much of this fabric should i buy? http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=75250ab4-38b8-4d06-879d-544b7969b2f7 it's really on sale!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

live to craft, craft to live
McJulie-O
« Reply #1357 on: May 09, 2009 04:34:05 PM »

so i'm thinking about making this dress in an ivory stretch jersey as my wedding dress! i'm having a casual back yard wedding and really hate traditional wedding dresses, plus they are so expensive.  I could make this dress floor legnth and then after my wedding cut it down and dye it a fun colour.

my questions are: i'm plus size, around 20/22 so would need to do an a-line instead of a circle skirt. how much fabric should i buy? i am a total novice sewer beyond hemming pants and what not. how much of this fabric should i buy? http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=75250ab4-38b8-4d06-879d-544b7969b2f7 it's really on sale!

If you saw this thread http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=303004.0, you know it's an A-line, and we had a discussion from pg 3 on on how much yardage that was....

You don't want to skimp on the length of the ties, and you want to be comfortable in its fullness... I'd attempt it first in an even cheaper fabric, but I'd probably go ahead and buy 5.5- 6 yards if I were you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tallyboo
« Reply #1358 on: May 11, 2009 10:25:46 PM »

So last Christmas my fiance's mom got us bedsheets, but they were for a king size bed, which we don't have. Tonight I finally set up my sewing machine and after using it for the first time on a cute little giraffe for my new niece I decided that the bedsheets were perfect to try out my idea for my wedding dress. I used the flat sheet to cut out the skirt and the fitted sheet for the band and ties. I actually used the part of the fitted sheet with the elastic for the band and it works pretty well.

Anyway, I threw it together somewhat sloppily since I really just wanted to see how capable I was at handling something with that much fabric as my first handmade clothing item and also to see if I looked okay in the dress at all. It turned out great! I'm really happy about it and can't wait to make my real dress. Here's a link to a picture since I can't post them yet.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Tallyboo/100_1632.jpg

I'm a tad bit frumpy in it but since my wedding isn't until Sept 2010, I plan on losing some pudgeage.

Anyway, thanks again for this thread, I am even more excited now about my wedding now that I don't have to stress about shelling out a lot of cash for a dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #1359 on: May 12, 2009 06:34:15 AM »

Looks good, Tally! I can't wait to make one of these but I'm waiting to find some fabric that's pretty cheap, 'cause I haven't sewn much by way of clothing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 411 on Cosmetic Injections
NewBeauty Magazine Beauty Choice Awards: Product Highlights
MAC Collaborated with Kelly and Sharon Osbourne
Best & Worst Beauty
DIY Makeup Setting Spray
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...