A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 678474 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_dress , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1120 on: March 17, 2008 05:23:23 AM »

Smiley

hello all,
i have question for your knowledgeable brains!

ive offically made 2 of these, i have one on 'order' for one of my friends (ill charge her in cakes and time with her kittens)

so now i want another one! I want to try something a little lighter like a jersey fabric- i have used a kind of swimwear fabric twice, one heavier on lighter, and theyre great but could get a bit hot when backpacking around europe, india and sri lanka this summer!  Grin

i want to put in some pockets and have been looking for a tutorial, without luck!

i want to make those pockets that are at the seams of trousers and skirts and dresses etc, they're kind of 'hidden' and you slip your hands in at the sides.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial for these, or what the correct name of this pocket type is?!

It is called an in-seam pocket: http://groups.msn.com/NMSLFriends/inseampocket.msnw. This link should give you an idea of how to make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSapphireMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1121 on: March 17, 2008 07:43:09 AM »

I will ask this one again now that there is some action on answering a couple questions here:

What width should the fabric be?  I found some pretty lavender 4 way but it is 44/45 and not 60 inch...can I still make this dress based on a circle skirt if I were to decide on making a short version instead?  Somehow I think the fabric would not be wide enough on 44/45....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
hesmywatermelon
« Reply #1122 on: March 17, 2008 08:02:44 AM »

i dont know the actualy width inches of fabric, but im assuming you have a regular width and not a double width?

either way, im pretty sure this would work, especially if you dont mind the skirt being short- instead of making a donut shape in your fabric, make 2 half donuts and sew them together. There are abillion tutorials for this on the web in craftster, just serach for circle skirt and keep reading untill you find one that uses 2 half circles.

OR you could do as a few others in this post have and make the skirt a rectangle shape, and have more of a pencil,a line skirt

hope this helps! Huh

HMW
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #1123 on: March 17, 2008 08:17:17 AM »

I will ask this one again now that there is some action on answering a couple questions here:

What width should the fabric be?  I found some pretty lavender 4 way but it is 44/45 and not 60 inch...can I still make this dress based on a circle skirt if I were to decide on making a short version instead?  Somehow I think the fabric would not be wide enough on 44/45....
I'll give it a try, Sapphire, though my advice is worth what you pay for it.... Roll Eyes

Unless you want a pretty short version of this (like less than about 18 inches skirt length), 44/45 won't be wide enough, UNLESS you want to adapt it to a HALF circle skirt (with one vertical seam to close the skirt), which is what I did with mine. I didn't want the fullness that a full circle skirt provides... You would utilize a semi circle and place the flat side right against the selvage of the (stretchy) fabric, letting the curve of the circle go as far into the fabric as you want the length of your skirt to be, while allowing for your waist hole...I used a piece of string with a washable marker on the end to draw a semi circle on my fabric.

Two half circles sewn together would work just as well to get that extra fullness, too, if you couldn't live without it.

Now, if you went for a typical A-line, with a seam down each side, you could lay out your pattern down the length of the fabric instead of having to juggle the width, AND insert pockets as described above. It's a little bit more complicated, but you can figure it out if you've done any sewing before.

I hope I made some sense there.

Quite honestly, it's nice to be able to practice on some very cheap fabric first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheSapphireMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1124 on: March 17, 2008 08:27:53 AM »

Great!  Yeah, this stuff was only a $1 a yard, so if I mess up a couple I will still have enough left to make a dress with the 8yd I bought.  I could probably work with an A line or similar for the 45" I guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
Tenille
« Reply #1125 on: March 18, 2008 11:08:16 AM »

Ok, I just thought I'd share. I made my dress about a year ago. My mother was kind of skeptical about it when I showed it to her. So we had a fight this weekend and then later she calls pretending nothing is wrong and leaves a message saying that I "should make some more of those dresses for the summer" because shesaw them in the Kohls paper (I think) and now they're cool and in style. ARGH. She drives me nuts!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
Nymphara
« Reply #1126 on: March 18, 2008 11:16:52 AM »

Good heavens. Can we possibly have the same mother? Mine also makes those non commital "Hmm" noises whenever I mention sewing. Lady, I make freakin corsets! I made a civil war dress without a pattern! Geesh. Mothers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hesmywatermelon
« Reply #1127 on: March 18, 2008 01:24:44 PM »

i think they're jealous that you are both so crafty and can do amazing things with your hands and vision  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenille
« Reply #1128 on: March 18, 2008 04:54:50 PM »

i think they're jealous that you are both so crafty and can do amazing things with your hands and vision  Smiley

I liek the way you think hesmywatermelon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
DisneyBelle

Where in Disney World am I ?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1129 on: March 20, 2008 04:17:38 PM »

Here a a version I found at twobirdsbridesmaid.com and it is cute (and expensive)!  Good thing I found fabric to make one on sale at walmart for $2/yard Smiley

http://www100.blibs.com/editor/working/120605477071861?5110263675
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011 06:30:21 PM by jungrrl - Reason: please do not hotlink images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

*My Favorite Crafts: Scrapbooking, Sewing, Embroidery
*Crafts I wish I could do: Painting, Glass Blowing

*I really really want a vintage inspired apron in chocolate and Martha Stewart blue Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pina Colada Madeleine Cookies
How to Make a Decadent Grand Marnier Chocolate Sauce
Whimsical Pastries at Angel Food Bakery in Minneapolis
Mini Pecan Pie Pops at Spoon in NYC
How to Make a Baumkuchen
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...