A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promalong - Making your own Prom dress? Join the club!  (Read 305679 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nicoleeoliee_4_Life
Nicoleeoliee

Yes...I am random.

View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 23, 2010 07:39:40 AM »

I'm in.  I've been thinking about making a Prom dress for awhile now.  I didn't want to go without a date, but maybe I could just steal some other girl's date when I get there Wink.  What materials would the more experienced seamstresses/seamsters (word I coined because my dad sews and is most definitely NOT a 'seamstress') recommend?  Would a tulle skirt be too over the top?  And what colors?  I don't care for spring colors (pastels, light colors, pink) or at least hate the way they look with my pale skin and black hair, but I don't want to look funereal, either.  Dark green to match my eyes, maybe?  Strapless is out because I'm, well, too...voluptuous for that.  Any ideas for how to do a dress with a built-in bra? Also, I am in love with vintage (as in twenties through forties) designs so I will definitely do something like that.   

yeah, so far i have no date options yet, but hopefully thatll all change when the time draws near. i think i'm about the opposite...i like lots of colors and am very, um..w/e the reverse of voluptous is, but havent ever worn a strapless dress.

i've never made a dress, even more why i want to try making my prom dress, so i cant answer the question about the bra, even tho i want to do that for mine too. 

maybe a dark green like you said or a turquoise could look good & suit your color preferences w/o being too dark. maybe brighten it up with a gold sash for the turquoise? not sure....kind of what i'm thinking of for myself. (even tho i normally NEVER wear gold!)

as for making a built in bra, i would recommend getting either a sports bra (depends on what kind of dress you are sewing) or a strapless bra and sew it between the lining and the outside layer, if you are making a corset top, just kind of sew it in as part of the corset Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soli Deo Gloria
"Whatttttt?! YOU think IIIIII am random?!...think again" Tongue
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Randumb/176782339000396
Cheesy Check out my facebook page yo!
realityinvazion
Mrs. Nesbitt

I intend to deserve it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1391 on: September 11, 2010 02:31:39 AM »

@ madamedefarge:
Tulle is a great fabric to work with I think, and it allows for so many fun things to happen that wouldn't work out if you used something more 'traditional' If tulle is your style at all, I can do nothing but recommend it.
Also, green would be a beautiful color. I would suggest Kelly green and black, but that's just my style. I have so many ideas for you buzzing through my head after reading your comment, but I've had 3 proms already, this one's yours!

And to everyone participating: Just don't hold back, and get started early. You don't want to be safety pinning yourself in fifteen minutes before pictures; that's the biggest piece of advice that I can give you. Prom dresses are more complicated than others, and if you have little to no experience don't get discouraged, just leave yourself plenty of time to mess up.
Good luck to all of you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

9 out of 10 British housewives can't tell the difference between my butter and a dead crab.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a French Plait Bun
How to Do a Fishtail Seashell Bun
How to Get Perfect Holiday Waves in 10 Minutes Flat
Hair Tips: Dealing With Hat Hair
How to Do a Fishtail Bun
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...