A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swap a Craft package/Stashbusting!  (Read 3146 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2006 04:46:13 PM »

I've been reading a lot of posts on here about people having ridiculous stashes of one particular craft - and Fidget kindly introduced me to the SABLE (Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy) concept - so I realised that it might be clever to do some swapping for different craft materials.

An example:  I have enough fabric to quilt a cover for an aircraft carrier, and quite a lot of yarn and other fibres..  I don't however have anything much in the way of beads or papercraft/cards/altered book supplies, and would like to try out these crafts.

My suggestion (and I'll need to ask a more experienced person to run this swap - any volunteers?) is that we make up a package of supplies which we know would make a nice small project and exchange them.  It would be like receiving a kit without instructions or a picture - loads of potential and you might have to add a few things of your own - but endless possibilities to be creative.

This would also help younger crafters who have limited pocket money - or older crafters with lots of boring bills to pay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
starlawill
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006 05:29:20 PM »

i think it's a great idea! i've got more than enough fabric! but am in need of roving and beads for sure! i'm not experienced enough in the organizing department but if this gets off the ground i'm in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006 06:08:18 PM »

this sounds like fun!  depending on the time frame, i'm in on this for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006 08:21:30 PM »

Starlawill, I've got a wazoo full of seed beads and lots of round, two-sided alphabet beads, though not many C, A, T, I, or E.  (I was making prayer beads for my neice who has cancer.  Cry)   And plenty of lots of other stuff, too, that I had good intentions of using but haven't found the elusive Round TUIT.  Wink

I have zero organizational skills so I can't steer the ship on this one, either.  But, I would be will to hop onboard if it comes about!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
sewknitter

have needles will sew, knit, crochet, tat. . swap!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006 03:40:11 PM »

Wink Okay, I have too much yarn, too much fabric, too much paper stuff, too many crafts, sewing, embroidery, beads, and handweaving magazines, embroidery thread. . .

Here's the story. I'm complaining to my husband, do you realize that if you die all I would get is a dresser and a closet? But if I die, you would get an entire apartment? Does that give you a visualization? Huh

What is worse? He agreed! Roll Eyes

So oh yesss! I'm here big time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.cara4webshopping.com
knitting looms, embroidery machines, weaving,  knitting software~all discounted!

Shop My Swap  Shop 31
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006 04:25:19 PM »

Teapot (love that name!) we were made for each other - or our stashes were anyway! Smiley  Please PM me with what sort of fabrics you'd like and we'll start from there - I have no polyclay at all and few paper things, so let's get going!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006 05:44:22 PM »

Stephen, were you thinking of this as being an unofficial swap in that there are no sign-ups and everything is driven through personal PM's?

Sewknitter, in you I've found a kindred spirit!  I had a similar talk with my husband when I came to the realization that there are craft supplies of some description in every room of my house except for the two bathrooms.  Obviously, this doesn't take toliet paper origami or loo roll crafts into consideration.  I live in a craft-house!    Shocked Tongue Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006 07:58:40 AM »

To reply to Teapot and Princess Fidget, it seems to me that private swaps organised by PM are probably the way to go - we will each be posting different sorts of supplies offered and needed, which is likely to turn any kind moderator old and grey trying to sort out.

So I suggest we each post what we can offer and what we would like and then do it all by PM from there.  IT WILL HAVE TO BE DONE ON TRUST - I don't know many people on craftster, and I certainly won't be able to sort things out if someone flakes on you - life is a risky business.

I hope this isn't breaking all the Craftster swap rules simultaneously, but no doubt one of the Craftser Goddesses will descend in her winged helmet to rebuke me if it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

holytararor

A good girl with evil tendencies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006 03:10:43 AM »

I would really like to get in on this swap. I have a ton of stuff I have but don't and probably won't use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006 06:30:29 AM »

Welcome Cooper, I'm sure the contents of your stash will make someone very happy!

Can I ask everyone who is interested to post something like the following (which is MY offer/request)

OFFERED:  Packages of toning fabrics in smallish pieces (at least one sq yard/meter in total), suitable for patchwork, experimental embroidery projects, clothing embellishment, collages or whatever, along with a few toning threads and/or yarns.  Specify colour scheme desired.

REQUESTED: Polyclay, beads, buttons, handmade paper, scrapbooking materials or make me an offer!

Then we will know who is offering what and if there is a match, over to you to sort it out by PM.

LET'S GO STASHBUSTING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 5/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 4/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 9/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 8/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 7/12
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...