A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,778
Currently Running With Scissors:
345 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing machine needles and threading  (Read 1335 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 02, 2004 12:00:43 PM »

i was given a singer touch n sew 778. i had it serviced since the previous owner said it had some bobbin issues.

i'm not sure if the repairmen put in a needle to test the fixes or if the needle came with the machine, all i know is that its too long for the machine.

i'm trying to find out what needle fits this machine and where i can get it without dropping $$ on the manual...especially when i was able to find out  how to thread the machine for free on www.sewusa.com

can anyone help? and offer any tips in general?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004 05:37:03 AM »

Singer usually ueses "generic" needles, unless it's a specialty machine. Ask the place where you had it serviced what type of needle it uses. But first I would make sure the needle is in all the way. Seems odd that the needle would be too long.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004 08:06:21 AM »

i looked at your machine on line and the descriptions say:

fills bobbin from needle

what does this mean? i have never heard this. maybe that has to do with the long needle?

april fool
-handmade bags and accessories-
Stunt seamstress and textile artist!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004 09:43:39 AM »

Some of the older Singer machines have a strange bobbin winding feature that requires the thread to be wound onto the bobbin by passing through the needle---i have one of the first programmable ones from '84 that does this. The "long needle" is probably just not in far enough as it doesn't require anything but a regular needle put in the regular way to wind the bobbin.

Lavender Rose
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004 07:54:20 PM »

I would agree that the needle may not be in far enough.  Loosen the screw around the needle holder and push up the needle.  Singer makes, or used to make, its own brand of needles.   Needles are not generic.  Singer are different than, say, Schmetz Needles which can be used in several machines.  I want to say Singer needles are ever so slightly longer, or at least this is as I remember.   

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004 07:05:19 AM »

machine needles are all the same size in length, so your just not sticking it in far enough. if your bobbins getting all tanged its a tension or mishreading poblem.

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004 09:06:08 AM »

the issue with the bobbin was resolved by the repairman. supposedly it was catching or something. but it doesnt seem to be the problem.

i stuck the needle into to holder and im pretty sure i put it in as far as it would go, but when it goes down into the machine, it hits the bobbin and bends the needle. it happened with the machine that came with the needle (that promtped this question). i went to a store and got a singer needle thinking it would help but the same problem occured but worse. the needle broke in half and the machine jammed and the foot separated. i almost lost an eye! haha. the bobbin itself didn't break but there are definitely marks on it so the needle is hitting it.

anyway i'm taking it back to the repairman since the repairs are warrantied.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Ramen Noodles with Peanut Butter
How to Make Plum Wine Jelly
How to Make a Chinese Chicken Meal in a Crock Pot
Affordable Bo Ssam Recipe
Weeknight Beef Stir Fry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...