A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yellow summer flirt strapless dress w/ ribbon rose detail! TUTE TUTORIAL  (Read 138069 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , summer_dress , dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lol-lol
www.osier.com.au

i love my rabbit, sam. and he loves me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 29, 2006 02:12:45 AM »

well, hello there. i made this dress for the senior school river cruise that was held earlier this year. i looked hot, according to even the bogan guy in our year...and he never compliments anyone Cheesy...and all the girls were super jealous when i told them that "yes, i made it" Tongue go craftsters!

seeyaz

{edit} here is the much asked for tutorial:

Materials:
   about 3m of  two-way stretch t-shirt fabric (its what I used anyway). You will be cutting this into 6 pieces of fabric in 3 varying sizes!
   cotton thread in same colour (this is for sewing the material together... may seem obvious to you, but someone didnt know, ok?)
   ribbon in same colour: one ~2 inches thick, one spotty and sheer, and one ~3/4 inch thick.
All this ended up being less than AUS$20, I reckon.

1. measure from under your armpit to your knee. This will be measurement L.
2. measure around the widest bit of your torso and halve the measurement. For me it was my chest. This measurement is W.
3. cut two LxW pieces

4. now, around my waist is 888cm, lets say, and my ruffle strips were two different lengths, and there were four of them.
 - the two top strips were:        (888cm x 1.75)/2 each in length, and 12cm in width
 - the two bottom strips were:     888cm each in length, and 8cm in width
So, in essence, the top strips are wider/fatter, but shorter, and the bottom strips are longer, but skinnier.

5. cut these pieces out, being very neat as their edges will show.
6. sew the pairs of strips together at the small side, right sides together. These babies are called your loops

7. now, remember the two L x W pieces you have?..well, grab them. Put right sides together, and join with about 1cm inch seams, down the L side, to form a tube:

8. now, a lesson on tight points. The tube you have just made has to be tight around your boobs, and around your butt, but loose in between. It should stay tight from your bottom down.
9. try the tube on, right sides in. if it has no tight points, then sew 1cm seams at the tight points, melting into the original tummy seams, like so:

10. try it on (again), and see if it fits yet. If not, redo the process until it does.
11. Jump up and down, rock out, whateverand if it falls down, it aint tight enough yet babe. I had to take it in about six times at my bum and twice at my boobs. It may end up looking a bit like this, so dont worry

12. cut all the excess seamage off, so youre left with one seam on either side of the tube:

13. now, grab your loops, and your tube. Turn the tube and loops right side out.
14. mark half-way between the seams on all three pieces with pins, and mark the seams with pins too.
15. now grab your fat loop, and tube. Pin middles to middles and seams to seams, with the loop on the outer (right sides will be facing outwards on both. The wrong side of the loop will be in contact with the right side of the tube.) it should look like this:

16. gather between the pins and sew! You end up with something like this:

17. the second, longer-skinnier loop is attached underneath in the same method, by following steps 15 and 16, but attaching it about 2 inches above the bottom of where the first frill falls to. Make sure you attach it to the tube underneath, not the frill.

18. fold about two inches at the top of the dress inside the tube.

19. loose run stitch at the place where your breast gathering will be (front top center), then pull stitch to gather fabric. fix it in place with some more stitches.

It should now look like this:

20. put it on, and pull up the dress to gather at the hearts on the pic above, then stiych the gathers in place while its on you dont poke yerselves!
21. make some loops of ribbon with the thin and spotted ribbon, as well as two ribbon roses (with these tutes: http://www.offray.com/106b.html and http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=52897.0)
make one big one and one little one, both with the widest ribbon. Fix them to "x" on the picture of the dress above, along with the loops of the other ribbon in a pretty fashion/arrangement.
22. put your dress on, and go and flirt your sex-c little toosh off!

please comment! Kiss
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006 10:19:22 PM by lol-lol » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps :: www.osier.com.au
white trash hero
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006 02:22:48 AM »

thats super nice!well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tovi

spread kisses!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006 02:27:24 AM »

that dress is to DIY for!!!! Shocked
you have a great taste and great sewing skills
plus -you look like a model
yipiii
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing is the new shopping!
lol-lol
www.osier.com.au

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006 02:40:04 AM »

thats super nice!well done!

thanks!

yipiii

hehe, to DIY for....i love it!

thankyou, and the sewing was probably the easiest thing ive ever done...its a double direction stretch fabric, very forgiving,  and i only had to sew four peices of fabric...it was great fun....no hems either.. Tongue

awwwww, thankyou....   Embarrassed   (the model thing)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tovi

spread kisses!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006 02:50:04 AM »

yipiii

hehe, to DIY for....i love it!

thankyou, and the sewing was probably the easiest thing ive ever done...its a double direction stretch fabric, very forgiving,  and i only had to sew four peices of fabric...it was great fun....no hems either.. Tongue

awwwww, thankyou....   Embarrassed (the model thing)
[/quote]

anti whaling too?Huh Shocked thats pretty on the inside hon, wey wey more importent
plus NO HEMS RULE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing is the new shopping!
just_gemz

It's raining sunshine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006 03:09:51 AM »

That is gorgeous Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lol-lol
www.osier.com.au

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006 03:21:29 AM »

yeah, i think its really sad how most of japan dont even realise that their country is supporting and fighting for the murder of such intelligent, gentle beings.... i cant even be an activist yet, as im not 18..... and perth, australia (where i live) isnt really the most environmentally aware city ever either..... Sad ..but at least we're all against whaling in spirit, i guess.

i agree....NO HEMS WAY RULE!!!

i actually managed to do my whole ball dress without doing one....there's this really cool product, a kind of double sided iron on binding tape...i fell in love Grin

just_gemz - thankyou! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftsyFattie
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006 12:48:24 PM »

That is such a cute dress!!!!!  How did you make it??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artSTUDENT
GRDS+ACCESSORIES=ME

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006 02:38:07 PM »

That is gorgeous Smiley
You go!! that dress is really cute...I love, love love the roses Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I begin with an idea and then it becomes something else."-Picasso
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006 03:25:27 PM »

so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Quilting
The Art of Pen Turning
A Lesson in Paper Cutting
How to Make Paper Cutting Art
The Art of Paper Cutting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...