A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Striped Diaper Bag (image heavy)  (Read 4445 times)
Tags for this thread: diaper_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2006 09:32:55 AM »

It's merely a humble diaper bag. But I am pretty proud of it, so I'm posting. This was my first foray into diaper bag-making (I've made other bags -- just not a diaper bag) and I think it came out really well. This was made for a personal swap with TheBon (This bag is for a friend of hers. In exchange, she is making me some beautiful yarn!) and we'll post in the personal swap gallery when we actually complete the swap, but in the meantime... I gotta show it off!

First, the photos:

Interior shot... this was hard to take, but there are a bunch of pockets in there... basically, all the way around. Also, this fabric does match the other -- I promise!

Here you can see a better shot of the fabrics matching... see the yellow? See the orange? Matching! This is a key (or pacifier) holder that actually goes inside of the bag, but I pulled it out for this photo to show it off:

Here's a close-up of the flapped pocket on the side. This thing was a bear -- I've never done one of these before, but the pattern was good and I think it came out pretty well. The only drawback was that there was a bit of hand-sewing here, which I hate. But it was only a measly 3", so I sucked it up and did it (well, I did whine a bit first):

And the other side of the bag has a gathered pocked with elastic around the top. Good for mobile phones or other easy-access stuff you want on the outside of a bag:

Now, the technical details:

I used a commercial pattern: Butterick 4560. I used View A and the only modification I made was to leave off the adjustable pad that goes on the strap. I found the strap to be cushy enough without it and, besides, I kept messing that part up. It was fiddly and a royal pain in the neck. So it's gone. Oh, and the pattern instructs you to sew two pieces together to make the strap length, but I had enough fabric that I ended up cutting it from one piece, which was nice and I would recommend if you can.

TheBon picked out the exterior fabric from Tonic Living (great site -- check it out!) and the pattern is Farrow, Fiesta. This company has fantastic customer service and sent me a sample of the fabric for free, even though they're in Canada and I'm in the US. Also, despite having to cross the border, the shipping was reasonably priced and quite speedy (I got my fabric in a week).

The interior fabric is something I stumbled on in a local fabric shop here -- it's a high-quality cotton, but I don't have the info on it. If you're dying for it, I might be able to track down some info. Even though it doesn't look like it in the photos, the fabrics match beautifully.

The pattern calls for fusible fleece for the interfacing. It's the first time I've used it and a really liked it. It made the bag sturdy, but still soft. I'll be using that again. Also, the bottom has a piece of plastic canvas in it (also called for in the pattern).

Thanks for looking!

edited to add: Those folks at Tonic Living are great! They're offering a 10% discount for everyone who reads this post. Use the coupon code CRAFTSTER. Sweet, eh?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006 10:22:24 AM by kaesea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006 09:40:47 AM »

I am so excited that it should be arriving here soon. It will be going to the same friend that my Trellis sweater is going to. She knew that I was going to knit a sweater, so I wanted to come up with something that was a surprise! The fabric choice Kaesea made for the lining is great, and the outer bag fabric was chosen because my friend loves green and orange and bought a striped boppy pillow in similar colors. I'm super excited to deliver these gifts to her [and for the baby to come!]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
stellato_escuro

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006 09:49:23 AM »

I may have to keep you mind when I have a baby. Which is a million years away, but it never hurts to look. You did such an amazing and professional job, I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for current projects and swap stalking info: daydreamhouse.wordp ress.com
Lots and lots of things to be made: pinterest.com/stellatoescuro/
refuse2bdefined

Am I beautiful? Am I usable?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006 09:49:39 AM »

Very cute! Looks great and sturdy! The pockets look great too. Where did you find your key latch? I like its finish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hold me and tell me "We'll burn like stars. We'll burn as we fall. Watch as city lights dance for us."

http://RefuseToBeDefined.etsy.com

http://refuse2bdefined.livejournal.com
Lesa25
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006 09:53:37 AM »

Cute great job loving the strips:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~Lesa AKA Lesalicious~~~

My Blog, I crochet and sew
http://lesalicious.blogspot.com/
DayTripper
Character is what you are in the dark.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine" Proverbs 17:22

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006 10:01:08 AM »

Nice bag!

-Day
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be a sinner and sin strongly, but more strongly have faith and rejoice in Christ."

-Martin Luther
onetomatotwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006 10:04:06 AM »

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.  Grin

Where did you find your key latch? I like its finish.

Thanks! I like it too! Way better than the shinier ones I saw at Joann's.

I got it the same fabric shop where I found the lining. It's Poppy Fabrics in Oakland CA. It doesn't look like they have an online store, but I notice that you're also in Northern California, so if you ever make it down this way, check them out (the place is awesome -- they have beautiful fabrics, but also tons of trims, notions, etc. that I have never seen before).

When I go home tonight, I'll see if I still have the packaging -- if so, you might be able to order it online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
blonenomore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006 12:41:17 PM »

Love your bag!  I esp like the lining fabric!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"buckleberry ferry follow me..."
onetomatotwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006 12:55:31 PM »

Where did you find your key latch? I like its finish.

All right! Got the info here... it's from Clover and the finish is "Antique Gold." The size I got was 3/4" but it comes in other sizes.  You can order this one from Clover here or you can see their other sizes and styles here. It's called a "swivel ring," if you need/want to search for it. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mickim88
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006 01:00:08 PM »

I agree with the great idea of adding the key latch!  It makes things "oh so handy" when you're holding a baby and fumbling for your keys!
The bag came out great and you can never have enough pockets!  Great job! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Child Modeling
Tips to Shorten Camera Shutter Lags
Family Portrait Photography
RF-602 Wireless Flash Trigger Review and Demonstration
Choosing Your First Lens for a DSLR Camera
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...