A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crafty misconceptions  (Read 5270 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lyndsey
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2006 02:27:20 PM »

Not so much a misconception..more a brain-wrong

After spending 12 hours making a jersey dress and doing beading on the bodice  I thought I could cut it to the perfect length by puting it on and snipping it with scissors..
how can I have not realised that leaning over would make some bits hang lower..argh..
I was left with some sections close to revealing my underwear and some downaround my knees.

said item is now a lovely top..lol

Been there done that... but with a skirt.
It's now a lovely belt. XD

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ginger-tonic
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2006 01:18:25 AM »

Not so much crafting as cooking, but still...

A friend and I (both *very* underage) decided to make Tiramisu. We sort of were muddling along, we had our liqueur and our cream cheese and our biscuit in the bowl. But the biscuit wasn't getting soft. So we added more liqueu. And then more. Untill it was a bowl of liqueur with some cream cheese and biscuits floating in it.

Then we went back to the recipe book:

"Refrigerate for 24 hours and serve."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2006 09:11:53 AM »

Circular knitting can get quite interesting when you're tired and haven't lined up the stitches correctly.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2006 05:09:13 AM »

I haven't made too many really bad botches in my sewing or other misc crafts....at least nothing I couldn't easily fix.
The worst I can think of was when I sewed my 1st swimsuit 20+ yrs ago. I only had my mom's '58 Singer...all straight stitching, no zigzag stitch. Needless to say, my stitches started popping out every time i put the swimsuit on!!
My next swimsuit came out much better!! Still had no zigzag stitch, but I learned how far I could stretch the fabric w/o the seams getting wavy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whcollection

I sing in a death metal band.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2006 07:48:00 AM »

Circular knitting can get quite interesting when you're tired and haven't lined up the stitches correctly.  Cheesy

I am pretty good at following directions for just about any craft.  I knit, crochet, all of that, mostly self-taught.  However, I CAN NOT get the concept of knitting in the round.  I own cirucular needles, double ended needles, all of that, and it comes out so convoluted ever time.  I thought I ALMOST had it on the double ended ones the other day, but no.  *sigh*, an eternity of Nifty Knitter for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tuffie
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2006 06:05:30 PM »

The other day I was sewing a zipper pocket into a bag and didn't think ahead as usual..
I ended up sewing the pocket closed, then trying to attached the zipper to it. So I pulled out the side stitches a bit, sewed in the zipper and sewed them back up. Then I went to attach it to the bag and realzed... duh, the outside doesn't need to be pretty, why did I sew it with the seams on the inside? And I tried to attach it.. but it was a pocket, there was nowhere to attach it to the bag from!
Needless to say, I ripped it all open, sewed the zipper into the bag first, then attached the pocket and then sewed the pocket with the seams on the outside, hidden by the bag. *sigh* other than being totally backwards it was ok.

I've cut skirts too short for public wear more times than I can count, and am constantly messing things up, espeically where sizing comes in.. but thats ok. I never spend much on materials anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neophyte282
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006 08:51:38 PM »

I'm pretty new to sewing and it took me *thinks* probably 4 hrs to make a simple tote bag. That was after pinning, sewing and cutting things wrong. I was so ready to pull my hair out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clean White Shoes
Rihanna Wins Battle Against Topshop
5 Fashion Items Worth the Splurge
Best Shorts For Your Shape
Rachel Bilson Wears Sparkly 3.1 Phillip Lim at TCA 2013 Summer Party
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...