A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: $500 in vet bills and a very emotional weekend later...  (Read 2933 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Caribou

Try to remember. It's only a game.

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2006 08:35:21 PM »

I have learned this lesson: Don't leave scraps of thread on the floor if you have a cat!
My poor cat swallowed a piece of thread and it wrapped around her tongue, with the other end going into her small intestines. When my cat was throwing up constantly, I rushed her to the vet who didn't see the thread, but told me to wait it out and take my kitty to the emergency hospital if she doesn't get better. When she was still throwing up and acting listless, I took her to the hospital and the vet on duty saw the thread. He was able to cut out what was in her mouth, but warned me that she would need surgery if her body couldn't digest the thread. The surgery would cost at least $2000. Needless to say, I was extremely upset!

Fortunately the thread was digested, and she's not showing any signs the vet told me to look for and she's back to her overly hyperactive self. The vet told me that we were lucky that I took her to the hospital or things could've gotten really serious.

So, learn from my mistake: If your pet roams around where you do your crafting, be sure to clean up after yourself. And if your pet starts to act like it's sick, don't wait to take it to the vet! You might also want to mention that you sew at home, and that might help the vet catch it.

Strings is nasty business when they go places where they don't belong!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mserocks
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006 08:37:53 PM »

You're so lucky that the kitty is okay - I'm very, very glad of that. I had a kitty as a child that ate and entire SPOOL of thread... Screech didn't make it. Sad

anyway, yay kitty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi.

Ok, me too! www.wists.com/mserocks
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006 08:44:15 PM »

I'm so glad your kitty is okay. I also lost mine to a sewing mishap. She loved to sit on my lap while I did my hand sewing and I had no idea she ate the thread and needle both. it was very wierd that i couldn't find it and kept warning everyone that I lost a needle and thread to watch for it. It ended up causing her so much pain and surgery couldn't be guaranteed that it would help her at all.Iit was the toughest thing I've ever faced so thank you for being brave enough to post this and warn of pets and crafting together. I don't think I could have posted this when it happened to me. on a happier note ten years laterI have another kitty and he only eats shoes! Especially my favourite boots!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillianb
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006 07:34:36 AM »

Oh, wow.  I'm kind of glad you posted this because I would never have thought about this as being a problem and I have a kitty.  Granted she prefers to try to eat fuzz off the floor rather than thread, but still . . . I'll have to make extra sure I have no thread lying about she can get to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006 12:31:37 PM »

This is a good warning for me I'm brining home a new puppy next week so now I know to be more cautious with my thread!

I'm glad your kitty is doing much better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiad
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006 04:22:29 AM »

My cat has twice eaten thin ribbons, and I'm terribly glad nothing horrible happened because of it. I've been rather careful to watch out for things like that - but it's a good reminder. Should find a better way to stow my threads and such, especially with a new kitty in the house...

Glad to see your kitty is doing okay! I'd be absolutely heartbroken if I lost mine to anything that I could blame on myself like that. *shudder*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tinytink84
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006 05:55:10 PM »

My dog had an "incident" somewhat similar to this a while back, although it wasnt craft related.

He used to chew on pop bottles, and every once in a while he would eat some of the plastic.  Well, he also liked to eat underwear (I know it sounds gross, but I guess a lot of dogs do it because they like that it smells like us).  Well, one day he decided to eat both a bottle and a pair of underwear... well, the plastic got wrapped up in the underware and got stuck in his intestines.  Long story short, he got really sick and had to have 1.5 feet of intestines removed.  He survived that and lived for a few more years, but then he got cancer and died.

It was really scary when he had to have the surgery.  We weren't sure for a while if he would make it.

But anyway, Im really glad your kitty made it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."
Scott Adams

"Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."
Dave Barry
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006 07:29:23 PM »

wow  I  never  thought  about  threads I  always  worry about the  pesky  dropped  needles  poking them.....  no  cats  but a  lab and  chauhauhau (sp)  would  really  be  lost  without  either of them....   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006 02:20:53 PM »

I once found a needle and thread...in the catbox. I'll never forget, and am more careful now. My girl got lucky!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
FauxChina

Hello, my name is AAAAAAAAAHHHH

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006 07:07:39 AM »

I'm glad your kitty is ok. 

The purse I've been hand sewing nearly killed my kitten the other night, I put my needle away, but I left the spool of thread on the coffee table under the purse, but Lucky jumped up and got the thread.  I was in a dead sleep (I could sleep through a train driving through my apartment) but I woke up cause I heard something and when I turned on the light he was playing with the thread spool, and when I went to take it from him, thread was coming out of his mouth, I pulled very slowly and carefully about 5 or 6 feet of thread out of his mouth with probably another foot of thread that was knotted up at the end.  It could have been disastrous if I hadn't woken up, so until I can get a sewing box, my sewing stuff is kept in a drawer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a new mom to my beautiful baby girl Rhaevyn, born June 12th, she keeps me super busy.
slb2724
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006 09:21:12 AM »

my cat swallowed about a foot or 2 of thread and i didnt know, but it was still on the spool so the lttle bugger couldnt eat it all. luckly i pulled it all out w/o having to go to the vet! now he just eats any fly that happens to come in through an open door...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
re
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006 11:59:28 AM »

my cat ate some thread when she was little, the vet told me by phone to gently pull what I could out, then cut it and wait.

the gross part was it took 3 days to digest and work all of its out of her body, and had to be cut as each section 'came out' because she kept trying to 'eat it' again even though it was still attached. (disturbing picture, I know). I was so worried she would pull on her organs or something.

so gross!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Altair

Tree-hugging Dirt-Worshipper

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006 07:28:45 PM »

What IS it with cats and thread?  My cat eats thread, embroidery floss, string, that fake grass you put in Easter baskets, thinly shredded paper...anything that looks stringlike! 

I'm glad your cat is okay, and I'm sad for the others that aren't.  Good luck to everyone keeping your pets safe from crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hello, little light in the sky.  Please don't probe me."
My Wists

Open to personal swaps...PM me!
Neophyte282
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006 08:47:22 PM »

Wow, I should really put those little bits of thread away when I take my rats out... speaking of which, I accidently put them on the table when I had a box of needles on it... well, of of them tried to eat a pin!  Shocked Luckily, I caught him in time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006 10:03:50 PM »

my cat eats anything, Im blessed, he just sleeps on my thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006 04:21:57 PM »

OMG, this very morning I woke up and noticed I'd left a huge ball of DMC on the floor and was really glad my cat (who is INCREDIBLY stupid and will eat literally anything) didn't get ahold of it.. I'll have to be way more careful in the future :S   Thanks for the warning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Calligraphy Set
How to Learn Calligraphic Styles
How to Write with a Fountain Pen
How to Draw Calligraphy Pictures
How to Write Modern Calligraphy
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...