A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple Silver Anniversary Party  (Read 477 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GreatBallofFire
« on: June 27, 2006 06:37:48 PM »

My boyfriend's parents are celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary in the beginning of September. I told his sister that I would help her plan and exicute the party since her two brothers (my boyfriend included) don't seem to be much help! We were thinking a simple opehouse at their family church with appitizers and a miniture wedding cake (my cousin is a pastery chef!) but I'm looking for other ideas or suggestions on what other people have done.  His parents are very simple people, they live on a HUGE farm in a tiny farming town in Michigan. His dad is a full time farmer (just crops) and his mom is a PT Assistant. I want something simple and classy without being too fussy, because they wouldn't be comfortable with it. It would also be nice if it was fairly low budget, since 2 of the 3 kids are still in college. Thank you for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.blogger.com
Dana_M_S
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006 06:39:06 AM »

I think what your BF's parents would like best is to be reminded of the great 25 years they've had together.  They'd probably want to see friends - new and "long lost."  Something simple at the church would be great.  I would use a lot of photos.  Blow up their wedding photo and other photos from the years.  If you can do a timeline with a photo from each year and important milestone events like the birth of their kids.  Fo my wedding my quest books was a photo almub and I asked everyone to write advise or a wish on a notecard and put it in the album.  Something like this and/or a scrapbook would be nice.

If it's going to be at the church maybe you culd surprise them with having their vows renewed!  My friends did this for their parents (for their 50th).  It was done during church service, then they had a "reception" at a hotel, but you could easily move the party downstairs.  Your BF's sister could be the "maid of honor" and hte brothers the "best men." The boys could even walk your mom down the aisle!  You could get bouteneirs and bouquets (which wouldn't be that expensive) and maybe you could find the veil from the bride's wedding and surprise her with that.

As far as food and decorations, if they're "simple" (I understand - my in-laws are too - they don't like "fancy" stuff) maybe a casual lunch would be fine.  I'm a fan of "themes" just to tie everything together.  Even something simple like a color pallette makes a big difference.  Get some simple flowers for the tables in the colors, use linens (tables clothes, napkins) and real plates to make it more fancy, but serve casual food that they would really like.  Our church has plates, etc. that we can use without an extra cost.  Don't go overboard on decorations (I personally hate those stupid tissue bells and only sometimes are balloons OK).  A bolt of tulle is really inexpensive and can go a long way in dressing a room up.  Plus it can be cut without needing hemmed and you can tie it up with ribbons in matching or complementary colors.  You could burn a CD of songs played at their wedding (or from that year if you can't find "their song").  You could probably get away withuot hiring a DJ and just bring a decent radio if they're not big dancers.  Even if it's just background music it would be a nice touch.

For invitations you can make them on the computer using a kit or something you make yourself.  Whatever you do, do it with love and it will turn out great. They'll be touched that you thought of them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Unpretty Book Trailer
My Little Red Fire Truck Book Trailer
Joseph Maroon Talks About The Longevity Factor
Jim Wallis Talks About Rediscovering Values
Michelle Karen Talks About Astrology for Enlighten
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...