A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Today I am Capt. Jack Sparrow AND I made a mini dress! (Many Pics and Tutorial!)  (Read 87114 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

babymates
« on: June 27, 2006 06:35:58 PM »

So.  I found this beautiful XL shirt at TJ Maxx on clearance for $3.  Then the next day I saw this really cute t-shirt thingy in a store on Newbury St. (for those of you not from 'round Boston that means $$$) that was $48.
I said to myself, "Self, you can make this."  So I did!

Before: "hm..."

After: "huzZAH!"

Front Detail:

Back Detail (As I watch Hell's Kitchen  Grin):

I found a picture of the original shirt that I based the design on, the uber-expensive one.

The mannequin in the store had the tie in the back, I don't know why its on the front in this one.

Anyhoo. I put together a little how-to for you all. Thank you all for the really awesome comments and your persistance has paid off.  I didn't make the entire shirt over, I generally like to make something different each time so I didn't see the need to make the same shirt twice, so for the sake of time I'm just giving you the facts, so no new shirts were cut in the making of this tutorial.  Wink  But it's really super easy to make!

First thing I did was find a shirt that was huuuge to cut down to size.

I'm just using this hu-mungo 99cent tee I had lying around as an example.  That's a rular on the right of the shirt, I just wanted you to see that this shirt is about 27" lengthwise.

To get the general idea of how much I'd need to resize the shirt I compared it to another one of my shirts that was NOT FITTED.  This is a picture to show you the difference in sizes.  The black shirt on the bottom is the original size.  The white in the middle is the size we want, the navy shirt on top is what a fitted shirt looks like in comparison.

Remember you don't want the shirt fitted becuase your'e going to add the ties to make it seem fitted.

Next you pin where you're going to sew, bring the shoulders of the two shirts together at the tops and pin from sleeves to the underarms to less than halfway down the shirt, remember to stay close to the smaller shirt's seem.  Once you get to the bottom hem leave about an inch of space indented from the original seem.  I forgot to include the indent in the picture but it's kinda important to have it.  Below I'm using yarn to show where the seem should be (of course you'll sew the shirt while it's inside out). 

Once you've sewn the seems up your shirt should look something like this (ignore the area beyond the red yarn...)

Cut off the extra fabric from underneth.  Try to get it all from the bottom to the entire sleeve, you're going to need it later.  DON'T THROW THE EXTRA AWAY.

Next measure the center of the collar and pin an inch away from the center on either side.  Pin about three inches from below the center of the neckline and cut a U shape while following these measurements.  The yarn shows you how that should look.

And I have Morty to help me.

Thank you, Morty.

So go ahead and sew the collar dip down.

Now remember I said to set aside the extra fabric?  Well you use this extra fabric to make the ties which are super easy.  Just start cutting from the hem at the bottom aaaaaall the way up to the arm in a 3/4" strip, do this twice. DO NOT cut them in half!  You want to keep that hem part that you'll have from the bottom of the shirt.

It looks like I'm cutting the hem off but it's just the angle, you want it all.

Now it's time to try your shirt on.  Do you need to fix the sleeves? The underarms? Shoulders?  Do what you have to do.  Now while you're trying on your shirt feel around on the hem for a comfortable place to put the ties.  When you find a good spot for where you want it safety pin the spot.  Take the shirt off and find a spot on the other side that is exactly across from the safety pin and make a tiny cut on these spots.  Pull the not hemmed part of the tie through.  When you get to the end with the hem sew it down from the inside, and then do the same for the other side.
So the from the outside it should look like this.

The longer the ties are the  easier it is to tie them.

And then you have your finished product.

There ya go! It's that easy! I hope this was easy enough to follow.  If you do end up making your own I'd love to see 'em!

Much love!
Thanks for a'looking.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006 03:37:40 PM by Jesse Phoenix » THIS ROCKS   Logged

raining_dreams
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006 07:09:59 PM »

that is really cute! i like the owls on it Smiley  do you think maybe a tutorial would be possible?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
klowe
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006 07:28:06 PM »

That looks really nice on you! Pretty design on the shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing."
--Edmund Burke
CosmicCarrot
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006 07:40:39 PM »

the shirt thing is pretty sweet....but i really wanted to comment on the fact that you just randomly decided to be captain jack. do you do this often? because if you just decide to be captain jack every once in a while, i think you should be my new best friend. i am now going to go dig through my closet for my captain jack costume....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's plastic on the furniture to keep it neat and clean,
in the pine sol-scented air, somewhere that's green...
yarncookie
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006 08:10:47 PM »

Thats really beautiful and i like the longness of it. The nature theme is awesome, too. Good Job!!! Huzzah is my favorite word... short of festoon, that is. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me, I'm on TV, it makes up for the shortcomings of being poor. Now I'm in a million pieces picked up for deliberation by the people listening at home, by the people watching on the telly...
babymates
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006 08:14:04 PM »

the shirt thing is pretty sweet....but i really wanted to comment on the fact that you just randomly decided to be captain jack. do you do this often? because if you just decide to be captain jack every once in a while, i think you should be my new best friend. i am now going to go dig through my closet for my captain jack costume....

Actually, I do declare a pirate day for myself now and then.  Believe it or not, my icon is me in my pirate costume.  You can find the full size picture here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=95695.0 from one of my pirate days.  My dream is to go down to Boston harbor in my pirate getup and stare longingly at the ships sometime.  You should come with! 
I got the Capt. Jack scarf from a little kid's playset in Target.  Who could resist?! It came with his sparrow tattoos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VietxVictoria
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006 08:25:37 PM »

I was on Newbury 3 days ago ! it would have made my day to see you  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

XOXO,
Victoria
[[rottenapple]]

eat of the apple so young...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006 09:25:40 PM »

I really like that!  I would totally wear something like that... I'm going to have to make a trip to TjMaxx and see if i can find a cool shirt like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what i see is unreal
   i've written my own part
                         eat of the apple so young
           i'm crawling back to start...

website/blogging attempt: http://web.mac.com/scienceandlyrics
novemberlies
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006 09:35:47 PM »

how adorable!  The print on the tshirt is awesome, it would have been a shame to see it go to waste.  what you did with is is absolutely lovely, cpt. jack.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beelzebeth

http://craftsofdestiny.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006 10:12:30 PM »

I love it! I want one too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Guides, Pasteboards, Spelling and Story Editor Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Units, Increments and Grids Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - General, Type and Advanced Type Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Introducing Document Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Exporting an InDesign File as a PDF
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...