A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why Can't I Get It?!  (Read 1163 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

XOcrazy4uXO
« on: June 27, 2006 04:36:12 PM »

I bought a crochet kit at WalMart today along with some yarn. I've never crocheted before, and I didn't expect to be fantastic at it right away, but I did expect to be able to grasp the basics easily enough.

But I can't! All I can understand is the chain stitch. I've read over the book many times, watched the videos at stitchguide.com, and still can't understand the other stitches. And you can't make anything with just a chain stitch.

Can anyone give any tips? Does anyone have a super easy pattern I can try to see if I'm doing this right?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006 05:02:37 PM »

Amie's videos at Nexstitch are really easy to understand, so try viewing her videos (links located in the crochet FAQ). What exactly don't you get? Wrapping the yarn, holding the hook, where to pout your hook in the looops?

If you've got $15 to spare, I highly recommend getting Happy Hooker, as well. Great book with pictures and diagrams and some fun and easy projects as well as progressivly harder projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
XOcrazy4uXO
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006 05:09:45 PM »

thank you! those videos are great!
I think the main thing that throws me off is pattern instructions - there's so many abbreviations and numbers and I don't understand how to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006 05:22:00 PM »

I know exactly what you mean. For the longest time I hated patterns and couldn't follow them. It was only this past december I actually started reading patterns, though.

A good idea is to go through the whole pattern and change all abbreviates. Try to change everything into as simple terms as you can. Start with a straightforward pattern. Change the font size and spacing if it helps you (it does for me. Even if it isn't a new row in crochet, I try to make each different step into a new line on the page so I can easily keep track of what I've done)

Start with simple things, scarves and hats. Hats are good for learning to crochet on the round, but they were hell for me to learn because I couldn't understand patterns! Definitely try some granny squares- I used to think they were so hideous and then I saw some of the cute things that are done with them just as long as gaudy, 60's kitsch colors aren't used.

Last, don't give up! It'll get frustrating, but if you ever have a problem, post in here and someone will always be around to help.

(ugh, edited for tyops. Maybe I should read when I write before I post it!)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006 05:23:49 PM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
XOcrazy4uXO
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006 07:55:44 PM »

thank you so much. after watching those videos, I've learned a few stitches, and now I'm going to attempt a hat pattern  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DisneyFan
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006 11:44:32 AM »

One bit of advice for making a hat--if you're working in rounds, get some split stitch markers to mark where you'll have to do a slip stitch at the end of the round.  I used to get screwed up until I got those suckers!  They're great.  I also recommend this book, Learn to Crochet Visually--by Kim Werker.  It's great for showing how to do all kinds of stitches, has very simple patterns, and actually shows hands making the stitches. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
Kerry Berry
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006 02:40:29 PM »

Even though it sounds like you have your problem mostly solved, I'll offer my 2 cents anyway.  If you have a local yarn shop (a place that specializes in fiber arts, not a craft store), you might go in and ask someone who works there to demonstrate the parts you're having problems with.  That way, you can have them pause at exactly the spots you need, plus they're there to diagnose whatever issues you may be having.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006 08:00:42 PM »

I never really picked up crochet because I didn't know where to put my hook. The illustrations in Happy Hooker really helped. Especially the butt of the stitch thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lvb56003
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006 09:08:54 AM »

Hey have you tried your local library for crochet videos?

Leeanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettynpink
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006 05:53:21 PM »

Before you spend money on a book [sorry wasn't impressed with Happy Hooker, it leaves lefties out in the cold], video, patterns and how to illustrations try looking around here, crochet.about.com and places like free pattern central for free illustrations, how to videos and patterns. That's how I started and once I got a bit more confident in my abilities I went out and spent money on something I knew I could at least attempt. I think anyone that has taken up a hobby and bought supplies only to find out it's not for them and pass by the supplies with a look of disgust because of the wasted money knows what I mean. For me it was knitting. lol Eh, maybe someday.

An additional tip that helped me was to jump into what I thought the illustration was showing me on how a stitch was done. Which brought me to freeforming and then once I was confident with that I tackled pattern reading.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally updated my profile info!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is Ghee
Fresh Thai Spring Rolls Recipe
Thai Foodcast: Pork Ball Soup
What is Young Ginger
What is Thai Basil
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...