A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where to start?  (Read 8609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2005 05:41:23 PM »

I learnt from this site-using their videos!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/

~k~

k..thanks so much, i tried snb, and got way confused, and my mom tried to teach me, but i got way confused. this might be what will teach me to knit Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
lasandri
originator of the term "crackster", as in craftster is like crack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2005 05:52:14 PM »

i learned from the SUPER EASY Klutz Knitting book (it even came with the stuff i needed)  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rincaro
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2005 04:53:47 AM »

My hubby got me the "I taught myself to knit" booklet/kit from the craft store this Christmas. I struggled for weeks. Finally I gave up and then went to Michael's and took a 2-hour $15 class. Now I kinda feel like I can tackle anything!

My LYS has some knitting classes I'd like to take though, intarsia and socks. But other than that, I'm cooking with gas now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2005 07:19:45 AM »

I have wanted to learn to knit for a while now. I have been crocheting for 15 years now but never had taken the plunge into the world of two sticks. Finally, when at my LYS one day getting parts for a necklace I was making I  saw one of those "Learn to Knit" kits that came with cheapo plastic needles and the various odds and ends one would need to start knitting.
Major impulse buy.
I forced myself to not open the package and dig in till I did some boring housework but finally I snagged up a skien of blaze orange acrylic yarn I had picked up from some yard sale years previous and began the process of learning out of a book. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be to learn even tho I am left handed and had learned crocheting backwards. That horrid orange yarn became a dingy gray with all the frogging and knitting I did with it but in the end between the out of date book I had with dorky projects and the various internet sites I visited I managed to learn pretty quicky. Now I can't understand why I waited so long to learn how to knit Smiley
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005 07:21:25 AM by IrishWitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2005 07:57:45 AM »

When I was high school, they had evening adult classes, so I took the knitting class.  That was over 40 years ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Roe
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2005 10:47:48 AM »

I purchased a learn to knit kit and started with that. I never finished the project but my need for the learning the craft kept burning inside me. So I bought a book and picked up a few things from that, then it just spirals from there. I kept wanting to learn more so I just kept reading different books, like SnB and the The Knitting Experience the Knit Stitch, also i tried www.knittinghelp.com and www.stitchguide.com. I made about a dozen or so scarves then moved to hats, made a poncho, and a baby blanket. After all that I decided it was time to start a sweater but had no idea on how. I chose a very complicated pattern, for my level of experience and learned  as I went. But I must say the best support I got from all my learning experiences was the people on this forum. You ask a question and some kind understanding person will always give you an answer.

Good luck,

Roe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

uplate6674
Professional Insomniac

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2005 01:40:09 PM »

I took classes at my LYS after trying to teach myself with a zillion different knitting books to no avail. I COULD NOT teach myself to purl, use DPNs, or knit in the round. Being shown in person and doing the homework assignments was just the thing I needed. I learn kinesthetically in a hands-on way, and diagrams confuse me unless I've already been shown the technique and just need a refresher.

I find the diagrams and explanations in the book A Passion for Knitting to be the easiest for me to follow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Im wide awake
Wide awake
Im not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no"

-U2
RomBookLover

All I hear is blah, blah, blah

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2005 07:07:47 PM »

Ive ALWAYS wanted to learn, but i always gave up thinking it was waaaay too hard.  Huh whered did u guys learn? i just need tips and such. also...do you think a beginner would be able to learn "kim's hat" ? thanks

I learned less than a year ago when my mother purchased me a kid's knitted scarf kit from Hearthsong which I requested for my 36th birthday.  It came with a pair of needles, two balls of eyelash, and a four page flyer with illustrated instructions for casting on, knitting, binding off, and purling.  After decimating that eyelash yarn (which I do not recommend for learning to knit), I bought a cheap skein of Red Heart worsted weight and Deb Stoller's awesome book, Stitch 'n Bitch.  I tried all of the stitches and such in Stitch 'n Bitch and just kept working at it until it felt right.  Since then, I've picked up more instructional books, visited loads of websites, and have kept very busy learning a ton of new things about knitting.  People have tried to tell me that you can't learn from a book, but if you can read, you can knit.  I personally think that Kim's Hat is do-able for a newbie as long as you're willing to persevere and learn from your mistakes.  Still, I'd pick up a good instructional book like Stitch 'n Bitch -- It can't hurt and it really is a great book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2005 08:09:55 PM »

I tried to learn three or four different times before I finally got it!  I had two major difficulties: I'm left- handed and I learned to crochet first, so I was totally confused when I bought my "teach yourself to knit" book.  I started with English- style knitting from that, but it just WOULD NOT come out right.  Then a friend who knits but who is right handed tried to show me what I was doing wrong.  But she couldn't translate right to left.  FINALLY, I just broke down and paid for lessons at the local LYS and have used some books and www.knittinghelp.com to help me with the things I don't learn there.

Now I'm making all KINDS of stuff Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2005 10:20:05 PM »

i was taught by my mom when i was 5. I knit the swiss (yarn over left hand) way just like the rest of that side of the family.  Been knitting ever since. It's an addiction!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 5/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 12/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 9/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 1/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 10/12
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...