A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone interested in a Tute for a Sally NMBC costume?  (Read 1598 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 27, 2006 08:30:23 AM »

Hi all. I am so glad that I am not the only one who is worrying about Halloween in the end of June.
I was thinking about my costume from last year- which was Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas and I thought there might be interest in it here more than anywhere else out there.  Wink  It was kinda easy to make and I would be willing to post a tutorial if there is any interest. I don't want to waste bandwidth if no one is interested, but I will go for it if anyone wants me to.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011 08:28:19 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Added picture to first post » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
PatchworkDoll
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006 09:25:53 PM »

I would really like a tutorial. Please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robotsxcanxlovextoo
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006 10:06:35 PM »

If you are offering! i would LOVE one!
I saw in orientaltradingcomp any magazine...they had the tights and gloves for sally and i was like...
OMG! *must have*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I too am strange and unusual...
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006 03:12:37 PM »

Sorry for the delay folks. I have not been on Craftster lately. Darned life! Why must it get in the way of Craftster?
Anyway my Sally looked like this

It was very simple to do - like cake.
I started with a vintage slip. A really plain one because I could not bring myself to ruin a fancy one. It is a good idea to start with one that is a little large on you.
Starting with a few screen shots from the film I collected pieces of fabric as close to the original patterns and colors as I could find.
I put the slip on a dress form and just using "draping" techniques I then pinned the scraps to the slip in the arrangement/ shapes they were in on Sally's dress.
After I got everything pinned I sewed all of the scraps onto the dress with embroidery floss in black - using all of the 6 strands and being very UNcareful with the stitching - looking at the pictures as I went along.
Be sure to keep trying the slip on as you go to make sure you have not pulled the slip too much in some of your stitches. You can pull the material quite a bit and then make the slip too small to fit you (Thus the reason for getting a slightly bigger slip).
For the arms and legs (since hers are kinda blue) I took two pairs of white tights and sprayed them with aqua colored fabric spray paint and watered them immediately so the color would be as light as possible. Then I cut the crotch & toes out of one pair so I could fit them over my head and hands. (Head in crotch hole- hands in feet)
I took both pairs of tights and sewed stitch lines on them with black embroidery floss  again, looking at the picture of Sally as I went along to make them similar to the lines in her skin.
It's just that easy. Remember - she's like a rag doll -so the perfection is in the imperfection, but keep looking at the pictures so you don't get off track.
The wig was a really carpy one I bought from the D-ney store and it was awful. It was their "Sally" wig and it looked like Raggedy Ann, that's why I have my Jack hat that I made on with it in the pix.
If there are any questions - please feel free to ask. If I did a carp job describing it - let me know too.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006 03:18:57 PM by kitschycoup » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
robotsxcanxlovextoo
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006 08:19:51 AM »

oh WOW!
you did a great job!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I too am strange and unusual...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Thanksgiving Quiche
How to Make Thanksgiving Burritos
How to Make Thanksgiving Frittata
How to Make Holiday Side Dishes
How to Make Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...