A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Issues with RIT  (Read 2063 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dimhalo
« on: August 01, 2004 01:09:47 PM »

Sooo, I bought some light pink RIT (the powdered kind) for 75 cents from a discount store. Today I decided that I wanted to dye a white shirt that I had laying around my room. So, I loaded it in the washer and went off to assemble my new desk. The directions say to keep turning the soak up, until it's been soaking 30 minutes, and not to let it get to rinse. Well, I happened to be very engrossed in my desk assembling and forgot about the shirt til I heard the washer start rinsing. By the time I got to the basement, all the dye was already out of the washer. I just took the shirt out and rinsed it in cold water, I figured there was no reason to keep soaking it since the dye was already gone. I'm fine with the color, but I was wondering if the fact it was only rinsed for 1/3 of the recommended time will affect how colorfast it is... I mean slow fading over an extended period of time, during washings and such is fine with me. However, I plan on wearing it to Warped Tour this Thursday, with a pair of light blue jeans, and I don't want my body and pants to be dyed pink if it rains. WOW, I'm sorry this is got so long, but can anyone help me out? Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moefen
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004 06:10:34 PM »

You will probably be ok.  RIT light pink isn't very dark anyway, so even if it rubs off a little (that's more likely to happen than rain), it probably won't show on your jeans, and definitely not on your skin.

Next time you wash it, any of the extra colour will come out, (and possibly more than you want cause RIT isn't very stable)

*To help colour stay put, next time add a bunch of salt (3 TB or a big pour) to the washer as you dye.  Salt helps cotton hold the dye better.

Have fun at the concert!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dimhalo
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004 08:43:29 PM »

I used a cup of salt in the dye bath, and I definitely think it helped (barely any of the color came out, when I rinsed the shirt). As long as the shirt makes it through Thursday, I'm not that concerned with it's condition thereafter. And thank you, I will have a blast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shenaboo30
Creative Cute

Hay Do I know U ?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004 04:29:07 PM »

Thats sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Me Not Hate Me
geekburger

I'm a Beastie!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004 04:41:43 PM »

im jealous of you going to the warped tour Angry Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dimhalo
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004 08:41:12 AM »

I even got in for free! It was such a good time...except for the terrible sunburn. It rained for maybe 2 minutes, and my shirt didn't dye me pink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Cheese Soufflé with Bacon-Arugula Salad
KD101: Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
How to Make the Perfect Fried Egg in a Cast Iron Skillet
Deion Sanders Makes Chicken and Dumplings
How to Make Forest Floor Roasted Pears with Burrata and Basil
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...