A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ohio Craft show?  (Read 18424 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

udandi

www.udandi.com

View Profile WWW
« on: December 16, 2003 04:02:04 PM »

After shopping at Renegade in September and then reading about Bazaar Bizarre, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous we don't have anything like that in Cincinnati!  

I don't know the first thing about organizing a show, but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to look into it.  I figure why not start brainstorming with the Ohioans on the craft boards to see if there is interest to do a funky craft show somewhere in Ohio???  

Given that we've got reprentation from Cincinnati, Columbus, Toledo, Cleveland and Bowling Green (sorry if I left anyone out) it would probably make sense to try something centrally located, like Columbus...but I'm open to looking at other cities.

so let's discuss ideas, locations, concerns, anything!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003 04:07:56 PM by udandi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
short attention span projects at http://www.udandi.com
bitter-girl.com

I'm not a llama, but I've kissed an alpaca!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003 08:48:23 PM »

Hey Andi!

Thanks for the heads-up on this thread. I am in Boston right now (Bazaar Bizarre was *great* - not to mention a 5-minute walk away), but I will be moving back home to Cleveland late next summer or before.

Actually, it's funny how all of this is coming together. I talked to Simone from BB today about a midwestern one, because a friend of mine back home pointed out a great place to have it in Cleveland. They host a rock-and-roll flea market already, it wouldn't be much of a leap! Columbus is central, though, you're right about that... not to mention a huge built-in college market.

Maybe we could combine a few ideas here. If we held an independent event in Columbus, it would attract people from all over the state. Then, what about taking out some vendor space as a group at the Christmas Connection in Cleveland? (*HUGE* annual craft fair at the I-X Center, my ex knew the owner, and she's really on the ball... all the news stations will be there, it's great publicity)

Heck, while we're at it, why don't we start a guild of some sort to give us organized representation at fairs throughout the region? Not everyone can afford to travel all the time, but if we had something like the Austin Craft Mafia for Ohioans, we could make sure we all got better exposure.

It's late, and I'm babbling, but let's keep brainstorming!

Shannon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003 11:32:12 PM »

This really has nothing to do with anything in Ohio, but I am so jealous of you all that got to go to the bizarre bazaar! i want one in canada, vancouver to be exact. glad you all had fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
campykids
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004 02:39:11 PM »

Hey....  I know I emailed this to you, but after thinking about it, I thought "why not post it"

I read the thread and I am totally into it.  I have a ton of PR experience
and I have a great business head on my shoulders. I have worked as PR
representation for a fortune 500 company in Philadelphia and events coordination
was my specialty.  Of course, that was my foo-foo pay the rent job, I am
pretty DIY at heart, but my training was the best of the best.  I worked
as the direct personal assistant to the VP and she cut me no slack...  she
happens to be a fellow crafts person in New Jersey so we were of the same
blood.

I would be willing to work on putting something together, but I want to
work with people who want it to work and who want to work for it.  I don't
know that I really got much more than "the bizarre bazaar is cool" from
the thread.  Have you spoken to other Ohio crafters with genuine interest?

I like your idea about central location, however Columbus is a bit of a
dead spot right now.  My husband worked in a club and it actually closed
down because there is just no "scene" around.  We spend a fair amount of
weekend time there and we pretty much just got the frat party vibe from
the kids around.  What have you heard?  We are pretty close to Cleveland
and the scene in Lakewood is awesome.  I think there could be the
potential for a real draw there. Attendee participance should serve as a
reason for choosing location.

I read the thread aboout using the IX center craft show and while that
might provide a great media presence, I am pretty sure that the Cleveland
media sticks to the folks they know. I think it might be a little
mainstream for bizarre bazaar types...  I also don't know that you want to
have people that would be interested in DIY type crafts being charged an
astronimical entrance fee...  I personally would not participate, or even
attend if it were held at the IX...  its owned by the Gunds and they have plenty of money as it is...  they don't allow food, beverages, cans, or even cameras and they do not allow re-entrance.  As it is sponsored by the likes of the Pepsi Co. and Huntington Bank ... it is as corporate hell as Cleveland gets...  even worse than the "Rock Hall".
I think we could do MUCH better than that!

Have you been in touch with the Boston crew or any of the participants for
ideas?  Boston is an awesome city, but it has an irreplicable scene.  It
works there because everything good works there.  I think it could work in
Ohio, but it would have to be coordinated really well.

The thread also seemed to deal with much more than an Ohio "bizarre
bazaar"...  I think at this point although it is important to brainstorm,
it is important to get together ideas with the same focus...  a show.
Remember, the Bostonians are Boston College, Harvard and Boston University
kids...  they have a knack for organization and a drive for success.

So here are a few of my ideas...  as I said before, I think its a GREAT
idea and I would love to be a part of it.  It will be work. but I think we can really pull this off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
campykids
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004 03:24:33 PM »

Lips sealed

After reading my message, I think I sound a little bit rougher than I am .  Let me first admit that I am pregnant and sometimes my words make me sound like a real b*&ch...  I really am not...  and I am truly sorry if I offended anyone or shot down righteous ideas in a negative or unconstructive manner.  

I feel very passionately about what I do and I also feel for what other crafters do.  I tend to be an over protective person and I am really overprotective of my craft and of my business.

I really think the idea is an awesome one and one I would love to participate in.  My mind is overflowing with thoughts and ideas and I would love to find a way to put them in motion....

Angie

THIS ROCKS   Logged
udandi

www.udandi.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004 04:43:54 PM »

Hi Angie,
Welcome to the boards and thanks for your input!

I've not been to Bizarre Bazaar but from what I've read it's held indoors and they have a DJ among other extras??   I thought Renegade worked out well at the park where vendors provided their own tables and tents -- it's probably more of what I think an Ohio show could be modeled after.  

Big favor to ask of the Ohioans:
I know some of you might not be interested in the planning or may not even be interested in being a vendor at this potential show, but I'd I'd greatly appreciate your feedback on places (parks, buildings, etc) I should look to find out if it could host a show.  

As Angie pointed out, I'd like to stay away from convention centers since most will charge a parking and entrance fee.  

Thanks in advance!  
Andi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
bitter-girl.com

I'm not a llama, but I've kissed an alpaca!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004 05:06:52 PM »

Andi, I'm writing you an email right now... I have a place in Cleveland. As I said above, it hosts something similar (a rock and roll flea market), and the owners would likely be very cool with a Bazaar Bizarre-style show. (Complete with DJ!) As of May, my online store will be my fulltime job, so I have more than enough time and connections here to make it happen.

If the rest of the Ohioans are amenable to Cleveland as a location, chime in on this thread so we can get a headcount and approach the location I have in mind Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

campykids
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004 09:12:56 PM »

I think it was at the Beachland Ballroom in the Flats - (the rock n roll flea market).  I don't know that it was an actual "flea market" but I think it was part of some guy's tour...  but I could be thinking of something else.  My husband used to book DIY bands in our area and he remembers someone sending a press kit that was titled "Zombos rock n roll flea market".

I have to agree with the bring your table and set up yourself with free parking idea...  that is if you don't want to go the club route or something.  There is a craft fair in Kent  (Kent State) annually that is held at a local park.  It is in the middle of summer with a rain date and it is primarily dominated by jewelry and metals people from Kent State, although there are cooks, glass blowers, flame swallowers and the like in attendance as well.  It is a community thing, but it is an outdoor venue that is really relaxed.  I know of sevaral parks in the Cleveland area as well as the Columbus area that would provide a similar venue.

Those would also be the people I would kind of look for interest in as well...  the crafts majors at universities.  Although Ohio can be cool I don't know anyone who knits "vibrator cozies"  although maybe I am hanging with the wrong crowd!  Smiley

I typed Chicago before but I meant Detroit...  although I have never been there, I just saw Detroit Rock City ~ ha! ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
udandi

www.udandi.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004 08:48:04 AM »

I love this - the ideas and spirit!  Cheesy

We've got some groundwork laid and we'll be looking for those who would be interested selling their wares.  I hope the other Ohioans on this board see this thread and jump in with ideas, suggestions, comments, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
madgeylou
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004 01:55:00 PM »

hey y'all i live in pittsburgh and sell my wares and would be totally into doing a cleveland bizarre bazaar or whatever it'd be called.

i'll ask around to some of the other crafters i know and see if they'd be interested as well.

let me know if there's anything i can do to help out!
madge
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making a Sleek Bun Hairstyle
How to do the Parting in a Sleek Bun Hairstyle
How to Secure Sections in a Sleek Bun Hairstyle
How to Create a Bun in a Sleek Bun Hairstyle
Creating the Rihanna Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...