A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
755 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie Knitter  (Read 299 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

carriel1975
« on: June 26, 2006 06:49:44 AM »

sorry if there is somewhere else on the forums to introduce myself, I looked around & couldnt find anywhere.

I stumbled across this site this weekend & spent a fair few hours looking at everyones projects & looking through all the free patterns available.

I've been knitting for a few months, but am not very good yet, I'm very ambitous & keep taking on new projects then making a mistake & ripping it up to start something new, but I am learning from my mistakes.

My name is Carrie, i'm 31, a SAHM to two kiddies, three cats & hubby & I live in Northants in the UK.

I'm working on a knitted bunny today, made one on Friday & although the parts were all fine, I hadnt realised just how hard it is to stuff & sew the pieces onto the body, the poor little thing is deformed! lol. But my little boy loves it & now my little girl wants one too.They are from a pattern in the latest issue of Simply Knitting magazine.

I look forward to joining in with you all, although i'm a bit scared, you all seem like such wonderfully accomplished knitters
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006 07:00:35 AM »

Welcome, and remember, we all started out at the same place you are. So we've all had the same questions and learning periods that you're going to have. The only way to get more `accomplished' is practice, practice, practice....  Wink

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
meriellyn
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006 08:40:49 AM »

Welcome! Smiley
Just in case you haven't discovered it's wonders yet, knittinghelp.com is a fabulous online resource for new and experiences knitters alike. The clips take a while to load up but they're soooo helpful!

And don't worry about being inexperienced. We don't bite (or attack with needles). There are all levels of knitters around here. Ask question, show off you work, participate in discussions... it's a great place to learn, brag, and get ideas!
I find the search feature is super handy. There's tons of info to find here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rottie Mom
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006 09:15:54 AM »

Oh if I can do it anyone can!

I started last winter and just could not get it.  The Stitch n Bitch book and bamboo needles changed my life.  I am nearly done with my first sweater and so far it has been relatively painless!

One of the things I did to learn was to read all the old posts here...these folks know their stuff!  And YES everyone is very nice too!

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laceybatey
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006 12:30:08 PM »

I am also going to leech on here and introduce.  My name is lacey and I just started knitting in March, when ds was only about 3 weeks old.  I needed a new hobby, and with two babies in the house (dd is 3 years old and ds is now 4 months) I needed something portable, challenging, but not too dangerous.  I've sewn for almost my entire life, but it's not practical as it takes up my whole dining room and leaves outrageously dangerous pins, needles, rippers, etc, everywhere for toddler hands to find. 

When I started knitting, I knew NOBODY who was interested.  I got a kit at Target to knit some capelet, but it was way too hard.  Here's how newbie I am -- it came with circular needles, and I thought that was a tag or a way of holding the needles together until you needed to use them, so I cut them apart!  (And I have a Master's Degree.  Sad.)  Since then, I have tried out a couple scarves with cheapie yarn.  Then, I liked it so much that I checked out every book from my local library and tried more stuff.

Now, I am enrolled in a sweater class where I am halfway through my first sweater.  I have made scarves, hand/wrist warmers, mittens, and now a sweater.  I am expecting a new niece or nephew in December, and I really want to learn intarsia because I want to knit the SnB Baby's First Tattoo sweater for the baby! 

Everyone here seems really nice and knowledgeable.  I just wanted to introduce!

l
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelo
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006 01:10:20 PM »

Welcome all!

It's funny, but I don't think introductions happen too often around here, BUT people more than make up for it with their helpfulness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meriellyn
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006 02:08:07 PM »

Oh if I can do it anyone can!

I started last winter and just could not get it.  The Stitch n Bitch book and bamboo needles changed my life.  I am nearly done with my first sweater and so far it has been relatively painless!

One of the things I did to learn was to read all the old posts here...these folks know their stuff!  And YES everyone is very nice too!

Good luck!

I agree. Smiley I taught myself last fall w/ SnB and a Boyle kit from Michael's. Got different kit with bamboo needles as an early Christmas present and fell in love with them. SnB and bamboo straights are a killer beginning combo! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Karen Katz Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Michael Hiltzik Talks About Colossus
Alexandra Horowitz Talks About Inside of a Dog
Jonathan Alter Reveals His Best Quality
Pop-Up Predators Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...