A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: felt katamari damacy prince and katamari ball - with magnets! AND tutorial!  (Read 18026 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , katamari , tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sighonthebreeze
« on: June 25, 2006 08:10:22 PM »

I made these for the Katamari Swap, but did not finish the ball in time unfortunately. The prince is already at his new home, but here are pics.

He has magnets in his feet!

Eventually I'm going to paint/decorate the magnetic beads so you can roll up cats and trees and things. But for now, I'm just happy I finished sewing the darn thing.

*edit - I just remembered I was inspired to do this by this post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=70397.0 *

Katamari Materials:
-felt or fabric of choice (I used one craft sized sheet for the main body and from half a sheet to a full one for each color circle)
-12 magnets (as strong as you like. mine look like watch batteries, called "strong craft magnets")
-polyfil or stuffing of choice
-dodecahedron pattern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dodecahedron_flat.svg)
OR 12 pentagons about 1/2 the diameter of the finished katamari you want
-needle and thread (dunno how many yards, sorry)
-magentic beads, paint, scraps (optional for decorating objects to roll up)
-patience!

** you can change the number of bumps on your katamari by picking a different polyhedron. wikipedia has other images you can use as patterns, like a buckyball for example **

• If you have more time than money, lay out your pattern and rearrange (6) pentagons so you can use the most of the sheet. Otherwise, cut out the pattern as is.
  • Pick a contrasting color (or not) to be the largest circle closest to the body of the Katamari. Cut out circles about the same size as the pentagons in the body pattern. Larger if you want really poofy bumps, smaller if you don't, or want it to be easier to put together.
  • Pick a different shade of the largest dot to be the smallest dot's color. Cut out circles slightly larger in diameter than your magnets.
  • Choose a similar color (or not, it is yours after all) to be the medium circle. Make these half-way in size between the large and small dots. Mine were about twice the diameter of the smallest.
  • Now you can begin sewing! Sew the smallest dot to the center of the medium dot with the magnet sandwiched in between. You can use contrasting or the same color thread, depending on the look you want. My stitches were quite visible, but I thought it looked neat. I started from one point inside the circle, then went radially around. So inside, just outside the edge, come up inside again.
  • After sewing 12 little dots onto the 12 medium ones, sew each "magnet nipple" onto the large circle with a pinch of stuffing in between the layers. This makes your bumps really pop! If you have a lot of fluff, you need to make sure your cicle is poofy enough by sliding the fabric closer together so you get ridges in between the stitches. But only a little bit or else you'll run out of edge!
  • Next stitch the large circles onto the pentagons with a large pinch of stuffing. Use as much or little as you like. You can stitch half way around before stuffing if you find it easier, but remember to make it 3D by scrunching a little as you go, as described in the previous step.
  • Finally, you stitch the pentagons together. This is the tricky part, because all those strong magnets either want to stay away or won't leave each other alone! Use it to your advantage if you can, to hold the pieces in place while sewing. Leave one or two pentagons unsewn so you have room to turn it right-side-out and stuff it. If you had single pentagons (because of limited fabric, like me) attach them by pushing one side of the right-side-out ball in, and sewing one side at a time.

Please tell me if anything doesn't make sense. I plan on making more of these, then I can show pictures of the progress if you want.

(if you want to make the prince, I used the paper doll pattern and scaled it up-- oops they removed their website. pm me and I can e-mail it to you, thank goodness I saved it haha)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007 06:38:47 PM by sighonthebreeze - Reason: updated dodecahedron file on wikipedia - it moved around, sorry! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006 09:19:22 PM »

Wow!!! That is awesome!!! It's made SO well, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
luciabug
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006 07:36:16 AM »

Yussssssssssss! We love katamari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are soopa cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shiroikaze

i trust the tofu.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006 02:01:06 PM »

omg those rock !!!  Cheesy that's an interesting idea, putting magnets.
i would love you if you posted the tut !  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hey samurai! see this foot and this foot? this foot is for booting bottoms of boys who don't obey. this foot is for stuffing in your eye, an idea i think i like very much. so, samurai, don't play footsie with me.
strangelittlebear

not really a bear.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006 08:56:29 PM »

that rocks so much! I love the ball.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KiwiDragons
Get it together!

Stacked Sheep. :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006 12:37:13 PM »

Sweet!! That game is so awesome-you did a fantastic job on these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Little Visitor Adventures
Charlie in MO
Zazie in Canada
cutesypoo
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006 11:59:20 PM »

they are so well done! great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sighonthebreeze
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006 12:16:17 AM »

Thank you guys so much! Craftster rocks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007 07:56:35 AM »

Thank you for such a great tute! I'm running to the store for magnets right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
GougeAway
Have a savage love for reckless wonder...

Celebrate Your Vices!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007 01:15:58 PM »

I tried this, and I want to thank you for the awesome tutorial!  You rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm up for Personal Swaps!

http://craftycuriosities.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simon De Pury Talks About Design
Paola Antonelli Talks About What Makes a Design Good
Art Deco Design
Designing a chair, first sketch
Designing a chair, 3D sketch
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...