A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yarn recommendations for fat bottom?  (Read 1134 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TurtleGrrrl

watch out for honu!

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2006 10:15:33 AM »

I already made a fat bottom bag for myself (see: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=104404.0), but I just used sugar & cream cotton b/c I liked the color & wanted something durable.

But, I got some really cute black & silver handles on clearance at M&J Trim and want to make one in black as a nice "going out bag" for my friend.  She had seen mine not quite finished back when, and saw the finished product last night and raved over it.  I'd been thinking of making her one and that settled it!  I'm envisioning black yarn w/ the black and silver handles, probably with some silver sparkly ribbon woven through.

So, in not so many words, what black yarn would you recommend using that's not overly expensive?  I'm just afraid that using something I don't know will end up with the bag stretching out or something.  Although, I was considering lining it, though I don't know how that would work with this due to the shape - does anyone have advice on that?

Sorry this is so wordy... can you tell I'm at work and don't want to get back to it??  Wink
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006 10:23:44 AM by TurtleGrrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality.  There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is the trumpeter's fury.  And then there's the dark side.

http://www.wists.com/turtlegrrrl
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006 10:22:54 AM »

In my reconned fat bottom, I used Paton's Brilliant. It comes in black with little silver shimmers in it. I just bought a few skeins to make another fat bottom. I used 4 skeins and reconned the pattern to make the bag slightly bigger (which also required more yarn since its a different weight).. You should be able to use two strands together and get about the same gauge

http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=brilliant
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
ChicagoHooker
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006 10:25:08 PM »

I made a fancier fat bottom bag using two threads (one skein of black Caron Simply Soft and two skeins of glitterspun) held together.  It made a very soft, yet sturdy bag.  And since I lined the bag with a black satiny fabric, it doesn't stretch out when you fill it up.  It worked out pretty cheap, because I bought the glitterspun using my 40% off coupon from Jo-Ann.  Then I attached a gold brooch which made it look very shi-shi-poo-poo couture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Steffania
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006 12:56:59 AM »

i've made a couple of these using Cascade 220
You only need one skein and it comes it every color imaginable
you can get it cheap at www.loopyarn.com
or www.helloknitty.com
regularly it's about $7 a skein
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TurtleGrrrl

watch out for honu!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006 10:52:57 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys!  I know I've eyed the patons brilliant in the past but never bought it.  I think I'm going to have to make a yarn trip to decide!  This will definitely help me narrow it down though  Grin

ChicagoHooker - was lining it pretty easy?  I was wondering b/c of the shape of the bag...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality.  There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is the trumpeter's fury.  And then there's the dark side.

http://www.wists.com/turtlegrrrl
ChicagoHooker
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006 01:10:28 PM »

ChicagoHooker - was lining it pretty easy?  I was wondering b/c of the shape of the bag...

Well, it's not terribly easy with the satin fabric...I used cotton a couple of times, which was just easier to iron and pin.

When you're done with the last decreasing row (before you start on the handle sections) take the football shaped piece and flatten it as much as you can -- then trace 1" around it on the lining fabric.

Iron a 1/2" seam all around, pin it in place (about 1/2" under the row ends) and whipstitch all around.

Then when you start to work on the gathering rows of the handles, the lining will gather up and fit properly inside the bag.

Hope this helps.  Can't wait to see your FO!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dair

Cute but psycho - things even out!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006 04:16:10 PM »

I have to pipe in and say i made it out of Noro Silkgarden - totally recommend it - the colour changes look awesome.... Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build DSLR Ring-Flash part 1 of 2
How to Build a DSLR Ring-Flash part 2 of 2
How to Clean your Digital SLR sensor
How to Diffuse the Light From the Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX
Camera Exposure Basics
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...