A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,522
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitschy kitchen goodies! **Now with Dish Soap Apron tutorial!!**  (Read 17330 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2006 09:25:37 AM »

I made these two apple themed projects to go with my overwhelmingly apple-y kitchen.  I made a plastic grocery bag holder that I embroidered my name on and three little apples:

(Pardon the massive amount of Pop-Tarts)
and a dish soap apron:

This always makes me giggle!

Here is how you make the apron.  I probably made the drawing WAY more complicated than it needs to be! 
materials needed:
scrap of fabric (leftover kitchen curtains work great needs to be about 10 inches square)
scrap of lace (approx. 1/2 yard) (optional)
1 yard double fold bias binding

Cut pattern as directed.  Attach lace to long curved side of fabric or just hem.  Sew bias to neckand trim.  Start sewing bias binding for 10 inches then attach to one arm hole and sew around to the neck, leaving 5 inches of bias to slip over the bottle.  Continue sewing the bias across the other arm hole and finish with 10 inches of bias hanging off the other end.  Slip over neck of bottle and tie apron in the back.  Voila! Now giggle away!
Print this out on 8 1/2" X 11" paper
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010 12:55:25 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

impgirl
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006 09:51:28 AM »

That apron is brilliant - i've never seen one of those before - it made me giggle outloud!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

prettycraftythings...a new monthly craft bazaar for the north of england...vendor applications now open...please see http://www.prettycraftythings.co.uk for more details
chompie
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006 06:54:22 PM »

lol, the apron is really cute =3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pinkaholic

I <3 shiny things

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006 08:22:00 AM »

Hehe, i love both of them Smiley The apron is so cute!

I was just going to comment on all the boxes of pop tarts Tongue hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love me for who I am
Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

Fuelling obsession that borders psychosis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006 01:27:09 PM »

wow someone that has as many poptarts as me... I have them almost every morning. Cheesy I like the reduced brownsugar and s'mores the best. Have you ever made a pop tart sandwich? two warm poptarts with honey in the middle mmmm. I also eat them out of the fridge.   The apron is sooo cute. hehe!  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You came in from the darkness and held the door open wide
You stood there like a vision before my unbelieving eyes
I believe in what I see and also what I hear
But did the night play tricks on me or were you really there.
stockholm syndrome
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006 04:50:30 PM »

Looove the apron. Cute stuff.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006 05:55:19 PM »

wow someone that has as many poptarts as me... I have them almost every morning. Cheesy I like the reduced brownsugar and s'mores the best. Have you ever made a pop tart sandwich? two warm poptarts with honey in the middle mmmm. I also eat them out of the fridge.   The apron is sooo cute. hehe!  Grin Grin

OOOOH that sounds heavenly!  I like freezing pop tarts, they taste like ice cream.  The sandwich sounds wonderful might have to try that tomorrow morning!  Thanks for the compliments on the apron, I laugh every time I go in the kitchen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RamenQueen
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006 06:00:09 PM »

I love the apron!! ( my MeeMaw had one that had little pockets like a real apron for your rings to go while you did dishes)  I  made one for uh.. Adult beverages that holds a small bottle opener Wink Makes a great 21st bday gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
impgirl
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006 12:42:26 PM »

What a brilliant idea RamenQueen!! I love the idea of dressing a bottle - actually my mum bought these bizarre teeshirt things for wine bottles the other christmas which totally cracked me up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

prettycraftythings...a new monthly craft bazaar for the north of england...vendor applications now open...please see http://www.prettycraftythings.co.uk for more details
RamenQueen
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006 09:24:08 PM »

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cooldaze
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006 06:12:58 AM »

The apron is so cute! I don't have a kitchen so I don't really clean dishes that often, but I want one Smiley I think I might try to make an artsy canvas apron to go on one of my glue bottles that I keep in studio at school. It would be so goofy  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RamenQueen
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006 01:25:48 PM »

Oh!! That would be neat-o.... Crafty mini aprons for all of out craft supplies...Paint bottles that hold a brush or ooo a hot glue gun cozy that holds the sticks.....Crafting for the Craft supplies...the ultimate Craftster experience!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
losabia
Asian Cajun crafter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006 10:00:06 PM »

Thank you for the tutorial! I used it to cover a gigantic bottle of liquid hand sanitizer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: I knew that!
yoshimom
Busy crafting in Golden Hill

My dog Yoshi!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006 03:19:16 AM »

I am making some aprons! they are to cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough hours in the day to finish all my projects...who needs sleep Tongue
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006 09:06:19 AM »

Cute apron and bag holder. I had to ban Pop tarts in my house ( and I adore the cherry ones ) my Son at 6 would have one and then drive his teacher insane fidgeting and sometimes running around in circles, now hes 16 and snooty about refined sugars hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007 12:18:02 AM »

That's so freakin adorable. i think i need one now,, but a little bananaskirt ((ala Josephine Baker)) for my jungle-themed bathroom!

We don't have poptartshere any more
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cd2282
Fighter Pilot WWII

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007 07:18:36 AM »

Can anyone post the link to the grocery bag holder?
I searched but only this thread comes up.
Thanks.

By the way - BOTH projects are so cute!
Im gonna do both. Thanks!

heres my attempt at the dish soap apron. Thanks again Smiley
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007 08:49:27 AM by cd2282 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007 01:49:31 PM »

Oh my gosh I totally forgot to post how to make the plastic bag holder.  Here goes:
1- 24 inch by 9 inch piece of fabric (for the main bag)
2- 1 inch by 6 inch pieces of fabric (for the ties)
2- 5 inch pieces of 1/4 inch elastic

Fold short edge of main bag fabic down two inches on each side, wrong sides facing and press.  Sew close to raw edge and again about 1/2 in towards outer edge to make casing for elastic.  Thread elastic through the casing and secure down at each edge (it will make the fabric pucker, that's okay)  Then put the fabric right sides together and sew along long edge catching elastic in stitching.  This is your main bag. 
To make the ties to hang it from, fold the 1X6 inch pieces of fabric in half then again to center fold and top stitch along long edge on each piece.  These are your ties.  Hand stitch them to the inside of the main bag behind where the elastic is in the casing so the stitches aren't visible from the outside and VOILA!  One plastic bag holder.  I have one in my pantry, one in my garage and one in my sewing room.  I made on for my friend and she puts her hair scrunchies in it and hung it in her bathroom.  They are so easy to make you can coordinate your kitchen with the soap apron and plastic baggie holder.
Happy sewing!
~Beth
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susankg53
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007 09:42:20 PM »

love the apron, it's made from the same fabric as a table runner I made to trade at quilt club. Need to make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Plait Hair
How to Scrunch Straight Hair
How to Twist Short Hair
How to Prom Hairstyles
How to Straighten Black Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...