A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glass Mosaic  (Read 3813 times)
Tags for this thread: mosaic  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mirandaest

Ah! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayl!

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2006 03:11:52 AM »

This is my first time posting a completed project, so forgive me if I mess up!

Im going through a rough breakup and needed something to occupy my mind that was vaguely cheerful, so I did this transparent glass mosaic. Its meant to be hung in front of a window, but I havent had time to buy the right gauge chain the finished project is very heavy! It measures 20.5 inches by 14 inches and really glows when the sun shines through. I hope you all enjoy it!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010 06:13:29 AM by SevsOnlyGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't take the sky from me...
http://signal.serenityfirefly.com/

4 8 15 16 23 42
http://jayandjack.com/
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006 03:25:05 AM »

I am so sorry you are going through a rough time.
But you truly have made something beautiful come out of this Smiley
Amazing even.
I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
Lizzybethdotnet
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006 05:21:55 AM »

Wow that is really beautiful, and the designs with the glass are quite nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006 06:35:14 AM »

That is breath-taking!  I am so sorry that you are going through a rough time-- but it is wonderful that you can use that to create such beautiful art!  It really is gorgeous!

How do you do transparent mosaics? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mirandaest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006 07:00:47 AM »

Thanks for your kind words! I'm so glad that you guys like it.  Smiley

For this one I used a sheet of glass framed in metal that came from Jo Anne's clearance section - it had one of those faux glass designs on it that you're supposed to fill in with paint. I soaked that junk off with some wet towels and had a wonderful base to work with. That's how I get most of my clear glass bases for my mosaics (and they're really cheap!), but I've never done one this big before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

4 8 15 16 23 42
SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006 07:01:26 PM »

So do you glue the glass pieces on over the clear glass?  What do you fill in with?  Sorry for all the questions-- I've never seen this technique before! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all_wrong

what's it going to be then, eh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006 09:14:46 PM »

It's gorgeous - I'm sure it looks even more amazing against the light.

It's a wonderful work, and I hope you're feeling better by now (
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-
everything about her is a mess.
mirandaest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006 04:43:49 AM »

Thanks for the comments everyone. As usual, the cool craftster peeps have made my day! Smiley

So do you glue the glass pieces on over the clear glass?  What do you fill in with?  Sorry for all the questions-- I've never seen this technique before! 

SonjaBo - don't be sorry for questions - I'm so pleased that you're interested!

I start with a clean glass blank. If I can't find one with a metal or wooden frame already on it, then I have a few options. I'm always looking for second hand or clearance picture frames. Sometimes I construct my own frame using wood molding or, if it's a small piece, copper foil tape and solder that's used for making stained glass. I highly recommend thrift stores and the clearance/damaged goods sections of the local craft stores.

I adhere the pebbles, marbles, shells, beads, shattered and cut glass onto the clear glass blank using a clear drying glue. The glue doesn't have to be super strong - in fact, I prefer something like Tacky Glue so that if I decide to move a piece later I can pry it up and re-glue it.

Once the glass blank is completely filled and the glue is dry, I fill in the spaces using a dark colored very fine grout. I usually use my fingers to apply it but you have to make sure you wear good strong gloves - I've been cut more than once by a sharp edge while applying the grout. I've found the key is to wait about 10 minutes to let the grout set, then start smoothing with a sponge to remove the excess, let it set for another half hour or so and then sponge again. I've tried different kinds of grout and so far my favorite is Triangle Crafts premixed that I found at Hobby Lobby, but I don't think they carry it anymore.

I don't seal my pieces because so far they've been meant to be hung indoors. I'm going to make some for outdoor use, but I'm still in the research and planning stage on that. Eventually I'm going to cover my glass top patio table, but I'm saving that project until after I have all the kinks worked out of the process. I hope this long ramble made sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

4 8 15 16 23 42
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006 05:01:55 AM »

You have made a stunning piece. Thanks for the info on how to make it - I love stained glass, but this sounds like a process I could do!!!
Thanks so much - Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
mirandaest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006 06:42:40 AM »

You have made a stunning piece. Thanks for the info on how to make it - I love stained glass, but this sounds like a process I could do!!!
Thanks so much - Selkie

Selkie - I'm glad you like it! The great thing about this technique is that you can make it as easy or as hard as you like. I'm just learning to do stained glass and the hardest thing about it for me is scoring and breaking the glass accurately. When I do these mosaics, sometimes I have the same issue with cutting the glass. But if I feel spontaneous and just want to slap something together out of stuff that I have laying around, I can do that, too. One of my favorite things is shattering scrap glass and then fitting it together like a jigsaw puzzle. It's very relaxing - as long as you're careful about keeping the shards from spraying everywhere! (I know that from experience - if there's a mistake to be made, I've done it!) If you decide to do one, I'd love to see a picture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

4 8 15 16 23 42
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Weave Tartan Fabric
How to Look After Your Spinning Wheel
How to Prepare a Shuttle for Weaving
How to Weave on a Traditional Loom
How to Make a Jubilee Pennant
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...