The first step in doing a micah shift technique, is to roll your clay out through the pasta machine SEVERAL times.
1. Roll your raw clay into a sheet.
2. Fold it in half and roll again. When you are done rolling it out, fold it EXACTLY the same direction EVERY time. Just keep folding the bottom to the top and pass it through your pasta machine. Do this about 10-15 times.
3. Roll your sheet into a snake and start cutting off about 1/2 inch slices.
4. When the slices are all done, start giving each of them a little twist. Don't twist them too much. Smash, twist, flatten and moosh them into small shapes. Don't flatten them too thin!
5. Line up a few on your rollers, but don't let them touch!
6. Roll them all out this way.
7. Start covering whatever you want. You can also mold this, but you may lose a bit of the contrast.
8. Fill in the spaces with small balls of the clay.
9. Roll it on the table. DON'T smear them together. patience pays. just keep rolling the top. You can use a clay shaper or even an acrylic roller.
10. Bake, sand and polish.
This technique can be used for anything! Try buying the "pearl" clay and adding some light colors! Have fun!