A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,597
Currently Running With Scissors:
776 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little girls and crafts?  (Read 3912 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RougeRaven
« on: June 23, 2006 01:17:43 PM »

My friend and I were tired of hearing about little girls having poor self esteem and self worth. And we were also really pissed about the lack of good female role models in today's society. So we are doing to be doing a bimonthly class with little girls ages 9 to 12. Bascially, each time we meet we'll discuss a different strong woman from history or today, what positive traits she has, what she did, and then a craft that has something to do with the woman we learn about that day. Such women would be Harriet Tubman, Joan of Arc, Elizabeth Blackweel, Valentia Vladimirova, etc. Does anyone have ideas for crafts or even women? Keeping in mind the crafts are suitable for 9 to 12 years olds?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
crnaofca
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006 01:07:46 PM »

jewelry, jewelry, jewelry. my 9 y.o. is mad about making jewelry. it has to be simple enough, bigger beads, minimum of finishing... 10 y.o.-s can make more complicated things, too:)
or you could all make your paper from old newspapers and then make cards from it, they will feel like it is a big deal:) you could dry some herbs and use them for card making
all sorts of decorations... festive or for every day...
they are old enough for knitting, but not all of them will like it:)

and if there is a possibility to have a mini craft-fair, they will enjoy organizing it, just make sure every girl does one part of job, they love to be in charge of something:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
RockinRobyn
Avid Reader

Oh You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006 09:32:45 PM »

you can teach them to hand-sewn. Easy things to sew with a good ole needle and thread:

purses/handbags
pillows
stuffed animals
scarves into headbands
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RougeRaven
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006 08:33:07 AM »

All of those ideas are excellent! The jewelry and pillows sounds perfect. I had to laugh when you said purses, I still have a hard time with those lol. Maybe we'll make those jean pocket purses! Thanks girls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
redthreadarts
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006 11:11:03 AM »

I might do a nine-patch quilt block as a tie in to how most household items were made by women, how much sewing had to go on in the avg. household circa 1870 or so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gryph

Starving Student

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006 12:47:06 PM »

As far as women role-models go for kids, I've always been sort of fond of female superheroes. 'specially the Powerpuff girls these days, they strike me as being cute and girly and simotaniously pretty smart and very capable of fending for themselves. With Bratz Brand-Name Fashion Tweens in 3D showing daily and commercials for Barbie every ten minutes, it might be cool to get them involved with the less midrift-y female rolemodels avaliable on TV. Could work great with some big bead crafts (lots of colour) or drawing games where they could draw their own superhero or somesuch. I loved making up superheroes when I was that age.

Craft-wise, you could try handkerchief dolls. They're really easy- I made one in Girl Guides when I was about that age- and should be cheap to make too.

By the way, it sounds like an absolutely awesome idea for a class. Young girls these days seem to want to grow up into Barbie and Britney Spears all too fast these days, it's great to hear about someone teaching them differently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danceisthenewmosh
Photographs may not lie, but liars may photograph

Kissing Toby Goodbye

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006 03:21:51 PM »

I like to teach my 11 yo neice about women in photography because they were out of the box thinkers.  Her favorite is Julia Margaret Cameron.  We also make soap together, obviously with care because of melted soap is hot.  Also paper crafts would be good, scrapbooking, cardmaking collage.  I can't wait till my daughter is old enough to craft with.  Right now we are at the pony beads on a string phase.  Only I do it all and then she stops screaming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apologies to whoever were upset by my absent.  I was in and out of the hospital from December 2007 until June 2008.
djonesgirl
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006 03:28:48 PM »

I  have 4 girls and they all love doing crafts from the klutz line of books.  Our favorites are the friendship bracelets, hair wraps, various bead crafts and even quilling!  The books are great and explain every step well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_t_chic
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006 03:31:21 PM »

What an amazing idea! I work with children myself, and am always looking for ideas for things to do with them. We have a monthly "Girl's Club" that I really want to see get away from nails and facials and go more towards self-empowerment!

I'll make you a deal...you keep me updated on your project and I'll keep you updated on mine? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy .com
danceisthenewmosh
Photographs may not lie, but liars may photograph

Kissing Toby Goodbye

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006 04:07:23 PM »

Friendship braclets!  I didn't even think about that.  Steals idea for next babysittig adventure with neice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apologies to whoever were upset by my absent.  I was in and out of the hospital from December 2007 until June 2008.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot at Night Without Flash
How to Prevent Red Eye
How to Take Pictures with a Changing Sun
How to Isolate Your Subject
How to Crop in Camera
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...