A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toe up socks? Maybe it's not for me *sigh*  (Read 2840 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006 12:06:00 PM »

thanks for the responses.  i'll give it a go and see what happens.  the biggest part i'm confused about is this:

Begin knitting circularly.  Round 1: Make 1 stitch at the beginning of the round, knit 4.

i'm not sure i get how i m1 at the beginning of a round that isn't in the round yet, but i should probably just try it and see.  It would make much more sense if I was suppsed to knit a stitch first.

i've got oodles of fantastic sock yarn (lorna's, vesper, sunshine) and *still* haven't knit socks yet!  part of the problem is i have tiny feet (size 6-6.5M) and i hate baggy droopy socks.  most of the patterns out there seem written for size 8 or larger.  (although I hear the jaywalkers are a little more snug than most)  the couple attempts i made at top down got ripped out before they were finished for being too droopy, plus i like the diagonal heel rather than that heel-flap-thingy.

If it makes it easier for you, knit a stitch first, then do your M1.  I have a hard time believing that it's going to make a huge difference in the broad scheme of the sock.  If, by some bizarre twist of fate, it doesn't work, then just knit into the front and back of the first stitch.  It's probably not the M1 they want, but again, in the broad scheme of things, it's not going to make a huge difference.  Once you get it figured out and understand the basic concept, then you either rip it out and do it the "right" way or just do it the "right" way on your next pair of socks.

As for your feet....I have the same problem.  I wear a size 7-8, which I guess is normal, but I hate droopy socks.  I prefer my socks to be knit on 56-60 sts.  For most patterns, you can take out one or two pattern repeats and make it work.  (And on the other hand, there's some patterns that it just won't work on.  I tell myself that those patterns are ugly anyway.)

Good luck!

PS-->  The "diagonal" heel that prefer is a short-row heel.  Which means you're going to have to come to terms with those short-rows one way or another!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006 12:17:18 PM »

PS-->  The "diagonal" heel that prefer is a short-row heel.  Which means you're going to have to come to terms with those short-rows one way or another!

thanks!  i'm probably just over-thinking it.  i've often found if i just suck it up and try it, it usually works out just fine, i'm just nervous about casting on AGAIN for a sock and having it come out wrong.   and i *adore* short rows!  the first time i tried it (on fiber trends felted clogs) i thought it was the coolest thing since computers! (sliced bread has been a little overrated for a while now ;])  what i don't like is that flat slip-stitch heel flap.  it looks boxy and weird to me.  the short row heel looks more streamlined.

thanks again everyone!  i'll let you know if i run into any problems.
a*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Fit in 2014 - The Best Gear to Kickstart Your Routine
How to Pull Off the Perfect New Year’s Eve Makeup Look
How to Wear Makeup on New Year’s Eve
Urban Decay Naked Palette Eye Makeup Tutorial
Night Time Winter Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...