A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Infinity Dress  (Read 162087 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

A2JC4life
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2009 09:24:41 AM »

3 questions:

1. Are most of you hemming this, or leaving the edges raw?
2. This one looks seamless at the waist: http://www.shopbutterbynadia.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19  Any ideas how it's made?  Like the Infinity dress pattern someone posted, but with a flared skirt?
3. Does anyone have a link to the Martha Stewart 12-seam dress or whatever it is that several people have mentioned?  I can't find it, so I'm not sure what you're all talking about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2009 06:34:32 AM »

3 questions:

2. This one looks seamless at the waist: http://www.shopbutterbynadia.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19  Any ideas how it's made?  Like the Infinity dress pattern someone posted, but with a flared skirt?

The Butter by Nadia dress looks like it has a seam where the straps meet the circle skirt, just like on the one tuted by Rostitchery  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=104089.0, though their skirt is noticeably longer, which would require really wide fabric. That website says it is rayon/ spandex and that the fabric is made for that designer..I'm thinking extra wide Slinky type super stretchy fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
A2JC4life
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2009 01:03:29 PM »

Thanks, McJulie.  I missed the seam, myself (my monitor, maybe?).  I like the long skirt, but I'm short, so I can probably manage it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2009 04:47:41 AM »

I'm guessing there's a seam hidden under where the straps are wrapped around the waist. 

Also, if you cut two half circles out of a single layer, you can get a longer skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
munchkinarooo
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2009 01:35:12 PM »

ok, i just read this whole thread becuase i'm thinking of making this dress for my best friend's prom, now, i haven't done any clothing before, so my mom will help me (she knows how). However, she says that making a dress is not easy, that it's really hard to get it to drape right on your body, etc.
But, this seems like a really easy dress to make fit right, so i was just wondering if it really is, for those of you that have made it, i mean, is it really as easy and elegant as it seems?

Also, one last thing, wouldn't it be possible to do one color skirt and straps and different color waistband o same waistband and skirt but different color straps? or would it just look too weird?

Any help would be great, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A friend of mine that we met in Len whos father was older than him that and had a washing machine that a guy had to fix, that guys second couisn that had a sister in law that had a grandmother that had a maid that had a friend that sold tofu. Well a neighbour of hers has what you lent me.
A2JC4life
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2009 06:22:57 AM »

Several people have done the straps a different color; it gives the illusion of having a separate top and skirt.  They've all looked nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimmy_sue05
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2009 01:24:03 PM »

Thanks for all of the info. I'm getting married on Halloween and I saw a dress similar to this on Tv. so began my great dress hunt lol. I'm probably going to be making 3 of these, one for me an 2 for bridesmaids, not sure what colors yet but we'll figure it out. thanks so much Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Musefreak

I belong to you- Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2009 12:44:10 PM »

i'm not sure if it belongs here or in the sewalong thread of this dress but i just stumbled along a kinda "infinity dress"-knock off- a infinity like with (maybe?) shorter straps and a bubble hem from asos ( i think a british company)

anyway, here's the link

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Bubble-Hem-Bandeau-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=500118&cid=5186&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Coral
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't resist "The Resistance" Cheesy
-
my Wist
-
Blog

interested in personal swaps
capall.muir
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2010 09:32:23 AM »

I made one of these a while ago using Rostitchery's tutorial. I learned that circle skirt, not so good on me. So I pulled out a short A-line dress that fits well and used that as the template for the skirt for my second attempt.

I laid the dress on top of the fabric and marked the fabric from just under the bustline to the hem. I cut a front and back piece, which adds 2 more seams, but the skirt works so much better for me. Then I cut the straps and attached over an elastic band. This eliminated the low back issue that I didn't like.

This second A-line version turned out much better. Though I need to find some better (thinner) jersey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RunwayDiaries
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2011 07:49:57 PM »

If you need help tying the infinity dress, try www.vintageorigin.c om. They have a great step-by-step picture tutorial for 10 styles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 New Ways to Wear a Vest
4 Wedding Guest Dresses You Can Wear Again
How to Wear Neon Colors
How to Dress Well For the Office
Plus-Sized Bikini Bodies!
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...