A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,119
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Infinity Dress  (Read 163254 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zipperwhipped

I heart octopi.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006 09:12:34 AM »

this is really neat, and would be excellent for traveling.
no way in hell would I spend $200 on this though!

If any of you crafty ladies figures it out, please post!
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006 06:42:45 PM »

rostitchery, please tell us the secret of this dress from the pattern, I found another reference to it but they claimed McCalls 5360 was the number for it.

Is it a length of slinky (but with 91% acetate and 9% lycra according to the infinite dress website, as opposed to the usual 94% acetate/6% lycra) with two long "tails" ? I'm guessing the tails are probably 4 ft. long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keena
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006 10:20:17 AM »

i'm a plus sized chica and i know of a plus sized designer (monifc.com) who has made some and at her party- she had flicks that i think gave a clearer view/idea on  how they are made...

so like someone else mentioned, at it IS is a tube top with 2 long straps. monif made her tube top start under the breast while i think lydia started OVER the breast. its all about the fabric as well. my teacher said that you can use material with spandex or lyrca in it..

to simply see more, go here: http://monifc.com/Events/Curvy-Girls-Night-Out - starting on page 3
variations here: http://www.monifc.com/index.php/cPath/27?osCsid=25109f38397101239664672be96c083e
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caradee
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006 10:35:32 AM »

I have a very similar dress pattern, also from the 70's called the Seven Way Wonder Dress, actually in high school another girl also had the pattern and we giggled about it often.  (That was an irrelevant detail)

anyhow, it seems the pattern and my dress I made are at my parents place, so I'll try to remember and grab it when I'm there this coming weekend.

Basically, using a KNIT fabric make a plain dress shape, and imagine you are making it into a halter top, but then make your halter straps LONG, really really LONG.

Then play with tying it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing. felting. dyeing. hot glue bandit.
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006 11:43:54 AM »

dang it, i had a whole post and it got lost in the craftster server tie up.  Smiley

anyway, i have seen many variations on this design--the ties can be crossed like a surplice, they can be at each side of the body, etc.  mcjulie-o, the pattern is a tube with a much longer piece that is sewn SIDEWAYS with the ends hanging free at back.  for some reason they put a zipper in the tube--i have no idea why, the dimensions and fabric do NOT need it.  :/

one thing i LOVE about the monif c. dress is that it isn't a tube, it is a flared skirt.  that is SO much more flattering, i my opinion, for just about every figure.

edited:  i just measured the pattern pieces for the mccalls dress, this is for a pattern supposedly sized XS (4-6):  bust 29.5-30.5;  waist 22-23;  hip 31.5-32.5;  back length neck to waist 15.25-15.5.  extrapolate to fit your needs.

the skirt piece is 27" (to be cut on the fold) X 24" for a short skirt or 43" for a long skirt.

the bodice piece is 30" X 57", cut two and seam them on the short side then fold in half WST and sew along the three raw edges (leaving an opening to turn).  turn and whip closed.

close the skirt along the seam (put in a zipper if you choose), and gather the waist to your measurement plus ease.  stitch the bodice to the skirt SIDEWAYS:  center the bodice seam opposite the skirt seam and sew from center front to center back on both sides--leaving the tails free.  (see the technical drawing above).

also, this type of dress is currently available for sale in lots of catalogs:

spegiel (click thru the sequence, there are LOTS of other ways to tie this):
http://www.spiegel.com/shop/category_splash.aspx?gp_coll_id=5001&gp_cat_id=5002&nav_cat_id=8580&category_id=8580

boston proper 3-in-1 skirt (click to see other ways to wear it):
http://www.bostonproper.com/jump.jsp?itemID=4270&itemType=PRODUCT&AS=1&keyword=6426fb

boston proper also had a four-in-one dress but i can't find it on their website anymore.  i have a picture that i cut out of the catalog, i'll try to remember to post it (i might need a reminder).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010 12:21:30 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
blonenomore
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006 12:58:17 PM »

I had never seen anything like that.  What a fun idea.  I would love a tut if anyone figures it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"buckleberry ferry follow me..."
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006 01:03:56 PM »

there's no "tute" to it--it is just what we've been talking about--a tube with ties on it.  Smiley  the only variables are the size of the tube (needs to fit around you, plus as much as desired for fit and for style), and ties that are VERY long placed wherever you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
htking
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006 01:41:45 PM »

i think that dress is pretty awesome. there is something similar that american apparel makes as well: http://www.americanapparelstore.com/rsa8339.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello there! check me out, more to come: http://ihopesew.etsy.com
McJulie-O
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006 02:15:54 PM »

dang it, i had a whole post and it got lost in the craftster server tie up.  Smiley

anyway, i have seen many variations on this design--the ties can be crossed like a surplice, they can be at each side of the body, etc.  mcjulie-o, the pattern is a tube with a much longer piece that is sewn SIDEWAYS with the ends hanging free at back.  for some reason they put a zipper in the tube--i have no idea why, the dimensions and fabric do NOT need it.  :/

one thing i LOVE about the monif c. dress is that it isn't a tube, it is a flared skirt.  that is SO much more flattering, i my opinion, for just about every figure.

rostitchery,
WOW! It looks SO different from the Lydiasilvestry website views!!! I hadn't detected a crossways seam at all! Or gathers! Man, I need to get my eyes checked!

It is intriguing that the american apparel version cuts it on the bias, ....looks like it hangs well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swampcricket
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006 06:30:57 PM »

Thank You Rostichery and Keena,

I love this.  I am going to try to make this soon!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Nested Scope Box Demonstration
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Keyboard Shortcuts
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Build a House in 10 Minutes
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Architecture Keynotes By Number
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Sketchup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...